• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the customer always right?

Margaret Pilgrim

I wonder how many restaurants would refuse Joe Pytka as a client? He is known as a tyrannical customer. Pytka has made more than 25,000 commercials and earns between 30 and 35 million a year. It is nothing for him to spend over $10,000 at a meal (something which he does frequently). However, according to an article in Today's LA Times, he is demanding and unforgiving; one "misstep -- however slight -- might mean a tongue-lashing that could strip paint."

He's clearly compensating for the fact that his mummy didn't love him and he's got a teeny weeny todger. Why should a restaurant refuse? Smile, nod,accept the dosh-and spit in the soup

The only way someone can mean it when saying "the customer is always right" is if it means something other than that the customer is always right. Because the reality is that a customer can be right, or a customer can be wrong. If a customer says one plus one equals three that is wrong. Now if by "the customer is always right" we mean to say a good businessperson will sometimes pretend a customer is right even when that customer is clearly wrong, fine. Or if we mean what Plotnicki means -- that "right" is defined situationally within the parameters of a business -- then that's fine too. But I don't think anybody really believes the customer is always right in the sense in which these words are normally understood.

LOL :)

I interpret the phrase as "Treat the customer as if he is right." :) I guess it's good that i don't work with customers. :)

-Jason