• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scandinavian Triple Play:Copenhagen Stockholm Oslo

My wife and I will be traveling with another couple to Scandinavia in May and will be spending three nights each in Copenhagen, Stockholm, and Oslo. After some research, I have selected restaurants as follows:

Copenhagen

Alberto K

The Paul

Noma

Stockholm

Grand Verandan

Den Gyldene Freden

Lux Stockholm

Oslo

Restaurant D/S Louise

Oslo Spiseforretning

Babette's Gjestehus

Please comment about my list, and make additional recommendations.

Thanks,

Kip

Well, the Copenhagen list looks like the one Id pick, Stockholm- Id definatly go to Fredsgatan 12, but where did you get that list of Oslo restaurants? I have never eaten at any of them, but D/s Lousie has an exellent location if you like busy, trendy places for peoplewatching. It has also gotten good reviews lately.

Oslo Spiseforretning serves norwegian food done well. Also got a decent review lately.

Why Babette's Gjestehus?

If I were to pick three places to eat in Oslo there would be little doubt on the top two; Bagatelle and Restaurant Oscarsgate. The first has had two stars for longer than any restaurant in Scandinavia and is without doubt considered Norways (and mayby Scandinavias?) best. Classical french food with pristine norwegian ingredients. Second places is a new place that is more avant-garde and is aiming high. Each plate is supposed to be of competition quality and very unique. For my third meal, I might want to try Statholdergaarden or mayby Oro.

But I have to say I havent eaten at any of these places :biggrin:

Stockholm

Grand Verandan

Den Gyldene Freden

Lux Stockholm

Grand Veranda and Den Gyllene Freden are strange choices to me looking at your list for Denmark. Both are filled with turist and businessman rather than people looking for a special meal. You may want to try Esparento or Mistral for a Noma like experience and add F12 (Fredsgatan 12) to the list. If you want to get out a little cheaper one night you could try "Restaurangen" owned by the same person that runs F12.

For Oslo, please strike D/S Louise and Babette's off your list unless you have an extremely strong inclination for either one (Like being a personal friend of the owners or anything similar) Babette's used to have a good atmosphere back in the days that Helge Rønn ran the place, but we're talking 10 years past its prime.

D/S Louise does not serve anything near quality food, but has a good location.

I do second Christophers suggestion of Bagatelle for THE best cooking within Oslo's (And Norway's?) borders.

I equally second his suggestion of Oscar's Gate, (But then I might be considered not quite objective and impartial enough as I have acquired a rather large %-age of their stock as of lately), but why not put my head on the block anyway... :wink:

Less formal: Kampens Hete, Oslo Spiseforretning, and Falcon Crest (Situated in a residential area, 10 minutes out of town by tram and the stop "Åsjordet" is literally on their doorstep). Innovative cooking, but be aware that they do not accept reservations after 9 pm.

For lunch with a view: Nothing beats "Ekebergrestauranten", foodwise many places do though..

Stay away from Feinschmecker and Le Canard in spite of their Michelin*.

For people watching and a quasi-gohtic atmosphere with a set menu: 2.Etage at Hotel Continental.

Restaurant Haga, run by Bocuse D'Or winner from 1999 Terje Ness, 20 minutes from downtown by taxi might also be worth the trip, although my main objection would be that there is not enough variation throughout the meal, all courses seem to be built along the same mould..

Oslo in May is fantastic though, when'll you be arriving?

Edited for spelling.

Edited by The Viking (log)

Thanks for all your input. I have not yet been to any of these cities so I can use all the help I can get.

I seem to have done OK on Copenhagen but need work on the other two.

One thing I neglected to mention is that the couple we are traveling with are not as adventurous diners as my wife and I so I have to factor this in, and they are not willing to spend quite as much money. On the other hand, I do not want to miss great new dining experiences.

However, you have pointed out flaws in my plans I need to address so how about this.

We will be arriving in Copenhagen on 10 May and stay three nights at SAS Royal. Train to Stockholm and stay three nights at Lady Hamilton. Train to Oslo and stay three nights at Thon Opera.

Stockholm

Sunday - Still need to pick a place - what is open on Sunday?

Monday - Restaurangen

Tuesday - Lux

Oslo

Wednesday - Kampens Hete

Thursday - Oslo Spiseforretning

Friday - Bagetelle or Oscarsgate if I can still get a reservation

Thanks again for your ideas.

Kip

One thing: Be aware that thursday 17th of May is Norway's version of 4th of July; lots of parades, festivities etc., which also means that the restaurants might have different/amended menus and opening hours than usual. It also means that more places than usual will be open for lunch..

Although the childrens' parades and festivities on this day have lost some of their traditional touches, it is still very wothwhile to visit downtown early in the morning (from around 10), combining this with a visit to Frognerparken in the early afternooon.

At either Bagatelle or Oscars Gate I'd go for the set menu with wine pairing.

Well, Sundays in Stockholm are not easy. Pretty much only turist places open. Since you are in the Old Town, and need some nights without spending too much money (this ain't easy in Sweden or Norway) I might suggest Bistro or Grill Ruby. The are next door to each other at Österlånggata 14 in the Old Town. The grill has steak, burgers, grilled salmon, the Bistro has a mixture of some Sweden staples and US "bistro" classics like Ceasar sallad.

I would skip Alberto K and go to Formel B which is 5 mins from the hotel in a taxi,or head out to Bo Bech at Paustian for some of the most modern cooking in the city.

Formel B sounds interesting, but this will be our first day after flying over the pond and we will be very Jet lagged. We will be looking forward to having dinner on the 20th floor overlooking the city, a good bottle of wine, and sliding down the elevator to crash in our room for the night.

Thanks,

Oslo;

If I were to pick three places to eat in Oslo there would be little doubt on the top two; Bagatelle and Restaurant Oscarsgate. .... Second places is a new place that is more avant-garde and is aiming high. Each plate is supposed to be of competition quality and very unique. For my third meal, I might want to try Statholdergaarden or mayby Oro.

For a high quality, high budget meal I would recommend Bagatelle. I've only been there twice, on special occations, but they are were both memorable dining experiences.

Oscarsgate is a bit too "experimental" for my taste, and I think the owners are very much into the "gastronomical chemistry wave". When I visited, we did a 5 course menu, but In reallity, there was probably at least 25 "taste experiences". Each plate had so many things going on that you wouldn't imagine it. As an example, the waiter came in the middle of the meal with a raspberry and a test tube half full of red liquid. We were instructed to eat the raspberry and drink the drink at the same time. It gave a real interesting taste experience, and serves as a good example of what is going on over there. I believe Oscarsgate may have the most advanced Wine list in Norway at the moment. 10 points for the best foi gras I've ever had.

Oro ended up as the choice for my wedding dinner, and the few times I've been there, the staff has made it memorable, both service and food-wise. But; Correct me If I am wrong but Oro and Bagatelle meals may seem a bit alike, and will probably be about the same kind of dining experience.

Alex Sushi has, or had the reputation of beeing one of the best Sushi venues outside of Japan. If you're into that kind of thing. They are serious about their fish, and you'll have to pay from $60 up to $100 for the most advanced menu.

"Restaurant Eik", connected to the Savoy Hotel, will give you excellent gourmet food for half the price of Bagatelle and Oro. Maybe a good place to "rest the wallet" :-) It is very popular and it has been known to be hard to get a reservation. Any other opinions on this venue? I've only visited once, and was very happy with the experience.

"Ekerberg restauranten" has the best view of All I guess, but the one 6 course menu I had there was nothing compare to the other restautrants mentioned here. Now you've heard the same comment about this restaurant from me as well :)

Bread Gourmet; Check out "Frosken", "Åpent Bakeri" and "Blings" for the best Artisan Bakeries in Oslo, if you're into that kind of thing :-)

If the sun is shining it's worth noticing that there is a seafood restaurant "Solsiden" on the oposite side of Aker brygge, that will actually give you the sun until sunset. A bit noisy, since the celing is very high (some old building used in fishing). I've only had wine and oysters, so I don't know what the menu is like at the moment. If the sun is shining you might consider this as an alternative to the very crowded and a bit touristy "Aker brygge" area.

Just my "50 cents"... A small comment about the cost. It seems that when dining with my wife, I always end up paying ~ $500 for a 5+ course menu, with wine by the glass for the "high end" places. (Bagatelle, Oro, Oscarsgate ). Most other restaurants you will end up paying about, maybe a little above half of that. Strange isn't it? :-)

Edited by glennbech (log)