• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Golf Cake Dimples

greenbean

I am doing a golf cake covered in fondant. I was thinking of making the dimples with a ball tool, until I found this picture. This looks so much better (and easier) Any ideas? My cake will not be a dome like this one, it will be a 10" round layer.

Why do you think that the indentations in that particular golf ball were NOT made with a ball tool?

My guess is that they were. :wink:

Yeah, a ball tool is cool but a dowel might be a better representation. I just checked a few of my husband's golf balls and one of them doesn't even have the same size indents, it has way differing sizes, all very small. And one of them has like hexagonal indents. But the deal with a golf ball is that the indents create a honeycomb-ish effect. So ultimately it's not the hole it's the connecting ridges that are created that is the point.

But shoot a ball tool, a dowel, whatever like that will give a great illusion of a golf ball. Just enough to trick the eye is all you need.

If you look at the center of some of the indents on the cake, you can make out a round impression like what a straw or dowel might leave behind. The indent looks flared (the crater isn't straight) so I'm less likely to think it is a straw or dowel.

Maybe the round end of a paintbrush?

Fun topic! I'm not a baker, but I checked out the photo of the cake and agree with JeanneCake that it doesn't look like the indentations were made by a straw or a dowel. Actually the way the rows of indentations are lined up seem--at least to my novice eye--to be too precise to have been made by hand at all. The lighting of the photo is a bit problematic in getting a clear view of all the indentations.

Is it possible that this was baked in a specialty cake pan?

Or could the baker have used a common thimble? That would explain why the indentations are narrower at the bottom and flared at the top.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Colonel Mustard in the Dowel Room and he did it by hand. :biggrin:

Nancy Drew would love this.

Looks like a wooden dowel upon closer examination because one of the craters has a clear circle inside it on the left hand side.

And Divala, it could have been baked in a ball pan or in a bowl or carved.

Could have used a very tiny thimble but probably not.

And while a lovely lovely cake, no the dimples are not perfectly spaced. No one would ever notice, no points off at all. I worked for a person (a screamer) who wanted picture perfect decorating and I trained myself to scorch a cake with a microscopic devil eye. So from that dismal relationship with that employer I can find a flaw if one exists on a cake. It was self preservation--no offense at all.

And no my cakes are not perfect :rolleyes: never will be. (Eeghads neither will that former employer's stuff be perfect but I'm not bitthhherrr :laugh: )

But all that to say, it was hand done for sure.

And while a lovely lovely cake, no the dimples are not perfectly spaced. No one would ever notice, no points off at all. I worked for a person (a screamer) who wanted picture perfect decorating and I trained myself to scorch a cake with a microscopic devil eye. So from that dismal relationship with that employer I can find a flaw if one exists on a cake. It was self preservation--no offense at all.

And no my cakes are not perfect  :rolleyes: never will be. (Eeghads neither will that former employer's stuff be perfect but I'm not bitthhherrr  :laugh:  )

Well damn K8Memphis my condolences on your stint with the BOSS FROM HELL; I hope things are much more serene where you are now. This whole topic and your answers just adds to my admiration of bakers, both professional and homespun; I neither have the patience nor the talent to create a cake like that.

Now I'm obsessed with exactly how the baker made that friggin' cake. :hmmm:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

And no my cakes are not perfect  :rolleyes: never will be. (Eeghads neither will that former employer's stuff be perfect but I'm not bitthhherrr  :laugh:  )

Well damn K8Memphis my condolences on your stint with the BOSS FROM HELL; I hope things are much more serene where you are now. This whole topic and your answers just adds to my admiration of bakers, both professional and homespun; I neither have the patience nor the talent to create a cake like that.

Now I'm obsessed with exactly how the baker made that friggin' cake. :hmmm:

Thank you, yes I now live in comtemplative serenity by comparison. I think it is a particular trait for some entrepeneurs to have zero people skills even to run into the six digit negative percentages of utter... never mind ...you know.

But anyway I am obsessed with this too. I emailed them. So we'll see...

I say Colonel Mustard, by hand in the DowelRoom...

(maybe a little too much serenity yah think??) :biggrin:

Alrighty then, right from the horse's mouth, Deb, one of the owners says that that cake is covered in chocolate and indented with either the other end of an art paint brush, or drum roll please, a clicker on the top of a pen like a Sharpie click type pen, the cake was poked with that clicker. I didn't quiz her further because sheesh she called me back on a Saturday morning--she was probably crazy busy but I'm guessing she meant chocolate fondant, like choco-pan because poured chocolate or ganache would not stay flexible long enough to get poked like that. (Or would it?)

Ta da!!!

It's a whole let your fingers do the walking type of thing...Agatha, Hercule, Sherlock would be proud (probably bored really but)

So I get points for having the correct poker shape--a wooden dowel is the same shape as a pen clicker top and it was by hand. ('Cause you can't really tell the dimension of a cake in a picture.) And mostly because I am the one handing out the points.

:biggrin:

Bless you K8Memphis for your sleuthing! :smile: Enquiring minds just had to know how this was done.

Now the only question is: when will you be doing an eG demo on this cake? :biggrin: No pressure, of course. :wink:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)