• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cleaning lecithin off yourself and your utensils

nduran

I have no clue in the world where this thread should go, but I figure the sweet tooths would be generally more familiar with lecithin as an ingredient than anyone else, so here goes.

In its liquid form, lecithin sticks to everything. Soap and boiling water do absolutely nothing for my steel measuring spoons, and they are only marginally effective with Pyrex. If I get it on my hands, my only recourse is to wipe them on my jeans until they no longer appear nicotine stained or feel sticky. What (preferably non-toxic substance) gets this stuff off?

I have no clue in the world where this thread should go, but I figure the sweet tooths would be generally more familiar with lecithin as an ingredient than anyone else, so here goes.

In its liquid form, lecithin sticks to everything. Soap and boiling water do absolutely nothing for my steel measuring spoons, and they are only marginally effective with Pyrex. If I get it on my hands, my only recourse is to wipe them on my jeans until they no longer appear nicotine stained or feel sticky. What (preferably non-toxic substance) gets this stuff off?

ZEP (brand)Orange hand cleaner, from the autoparts store...

Bud

Not to be unhelpful, but I've had no trouble with dish soap and warm-to-hot water. A little scrubbing with the brush, and things are good as new. I use it primarily to emulsify sauces and dressings without egg - not for baking, if it makes any difference.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I haven't tried any of the various mechanics' soaps as they dry the hell out of my skin, but I'll give it a shot.

Alcohol has no effect whatsoever.

I know there are several different types of lecithin out there, so I'll add that I'm using some unbleached "all natural" stuff I got from the hippie store as they're the only people that stock it regularly.

I know there are several different types of lecithin out there, so I'll add that I'm using some unbleached "all natural" stuff I got from the hippie store as they're the only people that stock it regularly.

Likewise. The foul-looking, thick yellow goo in a bottle that barely pours and has a slightly 'off' odor. Sold as health food - not very palatable straight!

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large