• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

help: rent a taco truck in seattle?

i've been absent from the board for awhile, just quietly lurking when i have a chance. still the liveliest NW food forum i know about!

which is why i am turning to you for some help. my 40th birthday is approaching and party plans are underway. it's a bit of a fiesta theme, with specialty margaritas, a mariachi band, and other good stuff.

i would like to rent a taco truck to be on-site, serving a few choices for guests (thinking tacos, tamales, perhaps quesadillas). has anyone here ever done such a thing? i am having a miserable time finding any party planning info that can help facilitate.

so, two questions:

1. any tips on best way to go about this?

2. recommendations? we seem to have a bit of a taco truck explosion lately in seattle (yay!) and i could use some advice on the best.

really looking for fabulous carnitas and nice folks.

thanks in advance for any help you are able to offer.

i've been absent from the board for awhile, just quietly lurking when i have a chance.  still the liveliest NW food forum i know about!

which is why i am turning to you for some help.  my 40th birthday is approaching and party plans are underway.  it's a bit of a fiesta theme, with specialty margaritas, a mariachi band, and other good stuff.

i would like to rent a taco truck to be on-site, serving a few choices for guests (thinking tacos, tamales, perhaps quesadillas).  has anyone here ever done such a thing?  i am having a miserable time finding any party planning info that can help facilitate. 

best birthday party ever!!!!!! the new rancho bravo is good. and the one on the edge of columbia city. good luck, i'd love to hear how this works out.

I too think this is a fabulous party idea. Alas I'm no longer in Seattle and thus no good for references to specific trucks. But as to how to go about arranging this: if it were me, I'd simply strike up a friendship with the owners of a taco truck whose food you like--preferably by buying and eating a bunch of their product :smile: -- and then asking them if they cater parties. I get the impression that catering for block parties and similar festivities is a familiar thing for this kind of rolling business, so they'll know how to take it from there.

KUOW did a talk show in the past month about Taco Trucks, and if you search their archives on line you might be able to listen to the show and get names of some of the better Taco Trucks in the Seattle region. Good Luck!

Yes, please report back on how this goes! I momentarily considered pursuing this idea when planning The Dude's and my wedding reception last year (we got married in Mexico, but had the reception here). Unfortunately, it didn't get past the early "ooh, this would be great fun" stages because of the spatial logistics in my neighborhood. But I'm still thinking about it for one of our block parties...

If anyone is rich, or is a caterer, and is reading this, I have often seen taco trucks for sale on Ebay.

That said, lemony, I am wondering how many guest you will have/had at your birthday party. By their very nature, taco trucks are a bit slow. I have often waited for 15 minutes or more for a couple of tacos when there has been a few people ahead of me.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons