• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Aberystwyth

Having scanned past threads I have got the following recommendations...

Aberaeron for fish from the boats and Fish on the Quay; Harbourmaster Hotel; Lloyds fish and chips and ice cream at Hive on the Quay.

Then moving eastwards we have...

Abergervenny for the Clyth Arms.

Arlingham for the Old Passage Inn.

Sellack for the Lough Pool Inn.

I'm also on the lookout for laverbread, cured hams and local cheese and beers.

Be grateful if anyone can tell me if I'm missing anything. I shall be in Aberystwyth for 3 nights next week. Also looking forward to a bit of fishing and some fantastic walking.

thanks in ants.

The Tree House organic cafe and shop, Aberystwyth, on Baker Street (if I recall correctly???) used to do very good quick salads, soups etc. and still does, I hear.

Lloyd's fish and chips shop is in Lampeter, though, c. 12 miles inland up the Aeron valley - but better, I'd say, than the fare on offer at Aberaeron.

yes, we're gradually heading south east to Waterley Bottom, Gloucs.

Foodwise: I would recommend the harbourmaster in Aberaeron for good food. If the weather is nice you should also try a cone of the honey ice cream at the harbour.

Good fishing a bit further south in New Quay as well as a good Thai restaurant and some of the best fish and chips around. I would not go to Lampeter for those. However, if in Lampeter, do visit Conti, an old fashioned coffee shop, where you will find - again- very nice homemade ice cream and an amazingly friendly service. (During the one day of heavy snowfall in February Mr. and Mrs. Conti opened up their coffee shop, especially for my 15 year old son and his friend who were freezing in the street, waiting for me to pick them up. They provided them with free hot drinks and food to get warm again).

Further land inwards Ty Mawr in the Brechfa forest is very good as well the Angel Inn in Llandeilo (associated with an absolutely wonderful chocolate/ice cream shop next door). Aberaeron, New Quay and Llandeilo are all quite pleasant Welsh towns as well.

You will find great cheese (tastewise a mix of Dutch/Welsh with a hint of French) in Bwlch-y-Croes, the cheese farm is signposted on the 486. I think they also sell their cheese at the Farmers' market in Aberystwyth.

Enjoy!

Edited by Marianne (log)

A really nice deli selling local produce, beers, cheeses etc in Machnylleth, which is not far from Aber. I think it is called Blasau, but you can't miss it if you are driivng through. The butchers near the deli has won a few awards.

The Wynnstay Arms also cooks wiht local produce, some of the dishes I've had are better than others but good cheeses.

If they are still there, there are two nice delis in Aber itself one selling Spanish style food and The Old Cellar which sells local and imported.

i just stayed at Ty Mawr, which was lovely, with its own microbrewery but it is probably a bit too much of a detour on the way to Aber.

Gwinllan Fynnon Las is a vineyard producing some nice white wine

The two places in Aber that have aspirations to be serious restaurants are:

Le Vignoble, 31 East Gate St

Harry's Restaurant, 40 - 46 North Row (Harry Hughes is a local boy who trained with the Roux brothers).

for big portions of decently made food - Gannets Bistro.

If you are in Lampeter at lunchtime Sospan Fach is the best bet, plain , old fashioned food made with care and proper ingredients.

Aber is rather far north for laverbread its more of South West Wales thing - Swansea Market is your best bet for freshly prepared, though you'll find it in tins easily enough.

Carmarthen ham is widely available , at least the aged, parma ham type is. You might need to go to Albert Rees's shop in Carmarthen Market to find the younger version designed to be cooked in thick slices rather than eaten as it is. (Though I think Owain's (Butchers) in Aberaeron may have it sometimes.)

Look out also for local bresaola and smoked lamb.

You might also want to keep an eye out for "Calon Lan" oils - cold pressed camelina (false flax) and hemp oils, grown and produced in Anglesy.

They also do an avacado oil, but unfortunately not made from Welsh avacados) and a "dukkha" based on camelina seeds and Anglesy sea salt. These are recently launched, really innovative Welsh products.

Best of the local micro brewers is the Ffos Y Ffin brewery, available only in bottles though.

gethin

• 8 months later...
Nobodys mentioned the Crown @ Whitebrook, 20 mins from abergerveny nr monmouth.? :shock: 

If your in WALES do try!

I'll second The Crown. Great service, great place, great food and drink.

The Hardwick, on the old Abergavenny road is very nice too, if a little hard to find.

The Lough Pool (just 'round the corner from me) is a place where i've had some good meals, though i recommended it to a colleague, whom ate well there once, though on his return - (Easter lunch, i think) was not happy with the meal/service. I haven't been there since, but have been meaning to check up...

Cottage of Content at Carey is a beautiful pub with good quality food, nothing fancy, just very honest and well cooked, good produce and great service.

These suggestions maybe a little late for you, but thought i'd get them up on the board...

Elliott

• 1 year later...

Off to this part of Wales this weekend. Driving from Birmingham so current itinerary is: eat at the Walnut Tree, Abergavenny on Friday night, stay in Aberareron. Lunch at the Hive on the Quay, off to the Lampeter Food Festival and then dinner at Ty Mawr. Sunday lunch at the Harbormaster and then back home. Sound good?

Off to this part of Wales this weekend. Driving from Birmingham so current itinerary is: eat at the Walnut Tree, Abergavenny on Friday night, stay in Aberareron. Lunch at the Hive on the Quay, off to the Lampeter Food Festival and then dinner at Ty Mawr. Sunday lunch at the Harbormaster and then back home. Sound good?

I can also recommend Ynyshir Hall.

Cheers, Howard