• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raul's Empanadas

Curlz

Of course, the sun is coming out this weekend, so if you take a ride, by the time you leave AHD, you can eat again when you get to Raul's. Or vice-versa. :laugh:

Perhaps the next AHD location can have Raul's next door so we can get both fixes at once?!? Just a thought...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I had to visit a family friend in Randolph today, so we figured we should stop by this place. We had eaten dinner at our friend's house, but we had to try this place.

Let me tell you... this may be the best restaurant find since... well, maybe ever!

The place is modest but very clean and comfortable inside. The menu has a staggering variety of empanadas. Most are $2.50 to $3.50 in price.

We each got a 5 sausage & lime empananda and shared a third heaven (chicken, beef and shrimp). They were absolutely delicious. And, a plus for me, NO ONIONS! (As others have said they can't stand olives, I can't stand onions, although I can tolerate limited amounts incorporated into items in certain types of food, like salsas or tomato sauces.)

We also split a chocolate hazelnut empanada for dessert. This was oozing chocolate and real chopped hazelnuts. Yum!

To wash everything down, we got a mango milkshake. It was $4.50 for a very generous pitcher. It was very good, although it could have been a bit sweeter. Still, it was excellent.

I will DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY return here. Even if you live far away, it's worth the trip. The food is delicious, the staff is very friendly, and they charge 1982 prices for most items. Get yourself over here ASAP. You won't be disappointed.

Edited by zhelder (log)

Guys, great call on this place. I went a few weekends ago with my wife who never had eaten empanadas and it was fantastic. Great food, nice prices, friendly staff. I almost felt bad informing my wife that she wouldn't encounter an empanada this good in most places.

If anyone needs a reason to make the drive to Morristown, I was dragged there to walk through the Century 21 clothing store a few blocks away. Lunch was worth the trip.

Nifty News & Decent Deals - where I'm always listing more kitchen stuff than average people want to see...

After reading all the positive reports on Raul's, I stopped by this afternoon. After driving from NC to NJ this morning and unpacking all of my stuff from year at school, it is a testament to everyone's substantial praise that my first food-related stop of summer vacation was at Raul's.

In general, this place lives up to its reputation. The empanadas are absolutely delicious. Before talking about them, however, there were a couple not-so-great things that could be improved. First of all, the girl working the register and taking orders when Raul was not doing so was not the most efficient employee in the world. She also had a hard time describing the various offerings. At least she spoke clear English so communication isn't a problem for us gringos out there. Also, I was kind of bummed that the milkshakes don't come in individual sizes; all the restaurant offers is a large pitcher. Finally, the fact that the restaurant only sells bottled water, and doesn't have a basic water fountain, is kind of annoying.

I had already had lunch just prior, so I ordered four empanadas and planned to eat half of each. Perhaps predictably, within minutes after receiving my order all of them were gone. It was a rush.

I had the five sausage with lime, Inferno (beef w/ three chilies), Third Heaven (chicken, beef, and shrimp), and the Adam's Apple (apple, caramel, nuts). The five sausage was actually my least favorite. It was heavily spiced and tasty, but I would've liked a more assertive citrus influence. Had I had this alone, though, I still would've been totally satisfied. The Inferno was quite delicious and was even marginally spicy with the chilies contributing a distinct flavor. I wish it was spicier, however. The one that I most enjoyed, however, was the Third Heaven. At first I thought it was overpowered by herbs, but this was slowly tamed and melded with the medely of chunky meat. Absolutely delcious. The Adam's Apple was good if not spectacular, probably better than the sausage but worse than the Inferno if one can compare sweet to savory.

The three different types of doughs is also really cool. One is firm and nearly crunchy, another is similar but softer and more bread like, the dessert dough is softer still and has a barely chewy puff pastry feel to it.

I see myself becoming addicted to these things. I did not get the chance to talk to Raul in any depth but would like to in the future. I also may have been in the store at the same time as another eG reader. I overheard some conversation that seemed to be directly pulled from this thread, but it could've just been a coincidence. Anyway, small world.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Went back to Raul's earlier this week (second visit in three days) for some more empanadas. Yes, I realize I probably will die.

This time had the Inferno, Third Heaven, Curry Chicken, Cuban, and Choclate Hazelnut, though I shared with one other person. General consensus was that the Third Heaven was the best, the Inferno still delicious but could certainly be spicier, curry nice, cuban a bit flat and would be better with a bit more cheese or something, and the chocolate hazelnut good but in need of better quality and more bitter chocolate. Also tried an order of the chicharones, effectively crisp little nubbins of pork belly. A little plain on their own but nice when dipped in the mango-habanero salsa for some sweetness, acidity, and spice.

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped in here last week for lunch, found parking right on the street in front.

Inferno- Awesome. Not uneatable hot, but hot enough to make you take notice.

5 sausage- very good, not as much lime as I was expecting.

Hit was the homemade brown sugar cane lemonade. I'll be back.

• 3 months later...

I went here for lunch today.

Savory: I had a special empanada called The Brazilian (codfish and chorizo), Third Heaven (shrimp, beef and chicken) and Inferno (ground beef with 5 chillis). All three were very good. My favorite was Third Heaven. The Inferno had great heat and wasn't a very long lasting heat....very nice.

Sweet: I had an empanada called Summer (tropical fruits). It was also very good...especially after Inferno.

I tried the Agua de Panela. They call it lemonade that is sweetened with sugar cane. Don't be fooled...it isn't really like lemonade at all. I think it is an acquired taste...I wasn't too thrilled with it. Next time I will try the cold version of Avena.

Lots of interesting stuff on the menu...am looking forward to returning and trying some more things such as: Chicharon (crispy fried pork), Arepas and the 5 Sausages and Lime empanda.

Service was quick and efficient.

• 1 month later...

I found myself in (cold, rainy) Morristown yesterday afternoon following an appointment, so despite dinner plans to the contrary, I picked up a few empanadas to take home. I was all set to order some of the usual suspects (5 sausages w/lime, First Heaven) when I heard Raul on the phone. "Pumpkin, yes, I have it..." I almost jumped across the counter when he hung up. Sitting down? A dessert emp w/pumpkin, brown sugar, raisins, coconut, and caramel.

I'll be reheating them later today, but wanted to get the word out for those of you who are thinking "Hmm...what should we do for lunch today?" There's your answer! :biggrin:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."