• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raul's Empanadas

Curlz

If you're like me, your desk (or some other space in your home) is covered with paper, and in the mix are recipes you've cut out and restaurant reviews of places you want to try. I've had the NYT's Quick Bites review of Raul's Empanadas sitting on the desk since early February; finally got there for a YUMMY and ridiculously inexpensive lunch today. According to the article, these are Columbian-style empanadas, made with a cornmeal crust. I am definitely not an expert, but these were delicious!

My first order of business was to order the five sausages and lime version. FIVE sausages--there just can't be anything wrong with that! Oh, and it was $2. My friend decided he needed one as well. As we discussed which other ones to try, the woman behind the counter suggested we try the cuban sandwich special, which comes with soup (and fries). We agreed, and she said she'd give us two soups so we didn't have to fight over it. We then asked what other (authentic) empanada we could try, and she suggested chicken or beef, so we went with beef. I'll eventually upload a few pics from my phone, but suffice it to say that these are gorgeous specimens :laugh: and we devoured everything. The beef was shredded, with mellow spices and the texture of the meat against the dough was wonderful. The sausage was just a mouthful of great flavors, as you can imagine! The sandwich was tasty, but I would have preferred to have tried another type of empanada (or two)--next time! The chicken soup was terrific, and it tasted like it had been made this morning, which turns out to be the case. Chock full of chicken, potatoes and carrots, this would be welcome in any weather, imo.

My pal bought an "Adam's Apple" dessert empanada to go; haven't heard the report yet, but when he looked in the bag, he grinned. It's filled with apples, caramel, and pecans. Again, $2! Total bill for all of the above with two bottles of water: $22. :wub:

We had a chance to chat with Raul and his wife (?) before we left; Raul told us that he has worked for both Jean Georges and Daniel Boulud, and that's where he learned how to get creative with his recipes. He is obviously proud of what he is is doing, as well he should be.

GO!! Raul's is on Morris Street, about a block down from the Morristown Green/Post Office, in between George and Martha's and Dunkin' Donuts. I parked across the street in the shopping center parking lot, but there are spots on the street as well as a town lot behind the restaurant.

Raul's Empanadas

63 Morris Street

Morristown

(973) 285-5555

Mon-Wed 7:30am-10pm, Thurs-Sat 7:30am-3am (yes, you read that correctly!)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I gotta chime in here folks, Matt bought a couple of dozen empanada's from Raul's of several varieties into AHD the other day and they really are incredible. They use at least 3 different types of dough depending on the filling. Use caution when eating the "inferno", as it is pertty damn hot!! Oh and that Adams Apple; to die for!! They have literally dozens of different kinds of empanadas,and of all things, Hot Dogs, go figure. These empanadas are defiantley not Americanized. They are the real deal.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Caught redhanded, 'bud!

You know, I was sure that someone on here would admit to having been there already, but I never thought it would be YOU! And Matt. :hmmm::laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Let's see if I remember how to post pics...it's been a while! Apologies in advance--these are from my cell, and are NOT great, but I said I'd share. Enjoy! :blink:

gallery_13133_4419_16792.jpg

gallery_13133_4419_35074.jpg

gallery_13133_4419_116924.jpg

gallery_13133_4419_6720.jpg

Those last two shots are interiors of the beef and the 5 sausages w/lime--they obviously do NOT do the empanadas justice!! :raz:

So I think I'm going to schedule my Tuesday around the fact that I want to be in Morristown for lunch. That looks too freakin' good!!

On a realted topic, has anyone eaten at the little Columbian joint on the main street in Chatham, about 1/3 mile from Serenade? I've driven past it a couple of times, but I've never had the time to stop. If no one has, I'm happy to be the guinnea pig....

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

After reading Curlz post, went to Raul's yesterday and the empanadas were as good as they sounded.

I had the 5 sausage and lime and a hummus. The sausage is bursting with juicy flavor. The hummus had abundant filling and was also tasty. Unfortunately they were out of sauces, but there was enough flavor despite the lack of condiments.

My husband also had the 5 sausage and a Raul's beef. He also though the flavors were amazing.

Felt a bit guilty about consuming fried foods, so next time I will call ahead (as stated in the Times Quick Bites) and put my order in for baked vs. fried.

On a realted topic, has anyone eaten at the little Columbian joint on the main street in Chatham, about 1/3 mile from Serenade?  I've driven past it a couple of times, but I've never had the time to stop.  If no one has, I'm happy to be the guinnea pig....

Ohhhhh... I'd love to hear more about this place. If you do the guinea pig run, please report back to us. If you can drop a name and address, it would be much appreciated.

Raul's Empanadas

63 Morris Street

Morristown

(973) 285-5555

Mon-Wed 7:30am-10pm, Thurs-Sat 7:30am-3am (yes, you read that correctly!)

So it turns out that my Tuesday schedule became my Monday schedule, so I just HAD to eat lunch at Raul's today. Here is my concise, 5-word review (yes, I counted): Go now, and eat alot. My 3-word follow up review: It's freakin' cheap!!

So I, like Curlz, started with soem chicken soup....very very good, freshly made from begining to end. No canned broth here, that's for sure. A nice mix of white and dark meat (pulled directly from the broth-making chicken) in a good variety of large chunks and shreds. Nice big pieces of potato, too. Talk about "Mmm, mmm, good!!"

I tried three different empanadas. The first two came on recomendation - the 5-sausage and the beef. Both were excellent - crispy and light, with just the right amount of moisture inside. THey were neither too soggy/runny nor too dry. I'm pretty sure (though in my revelry I forgot to ask) that they were of different crusts....the 5-sausage was a cornmeal crust, and the beef seemed flour-based.

I managed to find room for one more, and told Sandra the manager to surprise me. What she brought me was something called "First Heaven", and by all accounts I would say that it's a fairly accurate description. First Heaven is a combination empanada of beef and chcken, HOWEVER....she made one change (which I highly suggest to anyone who follows): she added rice to the mixture, which did a great thing. It added just enough x-factor to round out the flavors, to give them a certain harmonious interaction, which raised the experience nearly to sublime. Hyperbole aside, it rocked - try it.

The best part about the whole experience (and a reflection of Raul's culinary background) is how perfectly the empanads were fried. Not greasy at all, the dought crisp on the very outer layer and tender/moist on the inside. I'm sure it also has alot to do with the dough itself, but it makes like I should bone up on my deep-frying skills, that's for sure.

So again.....go, do it quickly, do it frequently, and be amazed.

Oh yeah.....one more thing.....clearly the are not only cooking the empanadas to order, but filling them to order as well. Which is the only way to do it.

Do these empanadas have olives in them? I always forget which country uses them...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thankfully, the empanadas I tried did NOT have olives (hate 'em!); I'm not sure, but I think those are usually in Spanish fillings...anyone know for sure?

My Ecudorean secretary tried this place and brought back some very good empanadas recently. My office is about one-half mile from Raul's.

I stopped there for lunch today and ordered 3 empanadas-beef, chicken and 5 sausage. While awaiting the order, I schmoozed with the manager, asked her if she saw this site, told her the restaurant was a big hit on the site. She "comped" me a meatball soup which was homemade and very good. I could only eat the beef empanada after the soup; I brought the other two home for a tasting with my wife.

All the reviews are true. It's good, it's inexpensive, it's homemade and made to order , it's got a downtown vibe. Try it.

We found the Colombian place in Chatham less interesting. It was expensive, the food seemed pre-made and reheated and the well-meaning teenage waitress was clueless and unable to process credit cards (which we felt might have been a ruse perpetrated by the management). We went early in its life and maybe its better now. There are several restaurants as good or better on Speedwell in Morristown.

Edited by scarlet knight (log)

Ok Folks, Beth E and I took our oldest daughter to Raul's tonight and it did not dissapoint.

gallery_16368_4461_1156492.jpg

gallery_16368_4461_1239504.jpg

The empanadas are really fresh and the flavors are bright and clean each filling perfectly matched with an appropriately textured dough. We began with a mango drink that they referred to as a milkshake but It was lightly sweetened perhaps by the frozen mango that they used only.

gallery_16368_4461_713526.jpg

We had the choice of using water or milk as the blending liquid--We chose milk. a small pitcher was $3.00 and it served 3 of us; 16 oz cup each.

Here's what we ate in empanadas:

gallery_16368_4461_49096.jpg

Two - 5 Sausage and Lime (Columbian, Mexican, Italian, Argentinian, and Spanish)

gallery_16368_4461_845663.jpg

1 - Inferno (Beef and 3 Chilies)

1 - Rock (Ground Beef and Cheddar Cheese)

2 - Puerto Rican (here wass a buy 1 get 1 free special) (Rice, Gandules, and Ham)

1 - Asian (Beef and Asian Vegetables)

1 - Argentinian (Baked Chicken)

gallery_16368_4461_458803.jpg

1 - First Heaven (Beef and Chicken)

1 - Second Heaven (Shrimp and Chicken)

1 - Eve's Apple

gallery_16368_4461_853702.jpg

1 - Guava and Cheese

There were other pictures but for some reason the Bulk upload on EG didn't work and it duplicated pics in the album. Oh well, you get the idea from these pictures that Raul's is a "must go" place for good, cheap eats in Morristown. Dinner was somewhere in the neighborhood of $25.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Show off. :raz:

But this does remind me that I've been meaning to ask about sour sop (sp?), as it's one of the flavors of 'shakes' that they offer... Anyone? Do tell!

Thanks for that info, David! Next time I'll have to try one...

I was at a party in Morristown last night and passed by Raul's a little after 1am on my way to Rt. 287. I was curious to see if they were busy at that hour (knowing that bars were still open)...it may be because today is Easter, but they were already closed. Interestingly enough, the Dunkin Donuts next door and the Morristown Diner (a few doors down) both looked busy.

Thanks for that info, David!  Next time I'll have to try one... 

I was at a party in Morristown last night and passed by Raul's a little after 1am on my way to Rt. 287.  I was curious to see if they were busy at that hour (knowing that bars were still open)...it may be because today is Easter, but they were already closed.  Interestingly enough, the Dunkin Donuts next door and the Morristown Diner (a few doors down) both looked busy.

Oh Man!!! Raul's would be the PERFECT late night food for post-indulgence dining. It kinda makes me want to party in Morristown just so I can stop off.

Thanks for that info, David!  Next time I'll have to try one... 

I was at a party in Morristown last night and passed by Raul's a little after 1am on my way to Rt. 287.  I was curious to see if they were busy at that hour (knowing that bars were still open)...it may be because today is Easter, but they were already closed.  Interestingly enough, the Dunkin Donuts next door and the Morristown Diner (a few doors down) both looked busy.

FYI, I asked the guy (not Raul) how many customers they get between 11PM and 3AM and he said 12 to 15 drunk people in groups. As a restaurant owner, that seems hardly worth it. I'm sure they are seeing how things go and will make adjustments as they learn by doing.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

If you guys will convince Raul to open a shop in Philly, I'll see what I can do to get a decent cheesesteak/roast pork shop for you.

Deal??

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, Raul's is currently smack dab in the middle of the most difficult time for a new restaurant. They are just a few months old and are hoping that the word of mouth takes off and their busness builds each month. It is a frieghtening time for new resturants especially those with little or no advertising budget. That being said, we all know that Raul's food is top notch, let's all help Raul through his first year by spreading the word and by frequenting his restaurant. I also understand that their is another food establisment in the immediate vicinity that is making it even more difficult for him by having cars towed and even putting empanadas on their otherwise latin-food-free menu. Not very nieghborly if you ask me. So if we like Raul's and want him to stick around,....well, you know what to do.

P.S. I have no connection with Raul other than his food and my tastebuds.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Well I was planning on Hotdogs for lunch Saturday....actually I wasnt

Planning on Empanadas for lunch Saturday.

:cool:

tracey

edit to add ..... all my routes to AHD are probabley still FLOODED

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association