• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braised Lamb Recipe?

Jesikka

I'm trying to figure out my Passover menu for Tuesday night, when I'm having about 12 people in my little NY apartment. Because oven/stove space is tight, I don't like to do individually cooked proteins, but I don't want to do brisket either.

There's a recipe from a 2003 Gourmet for Spice Braised Lamb with Carrots and Spinach (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107979). While I'm excited about the idea of this recipe, the comments are not great. Does anyone have a similar braised lamb recipe that they love? Does anyone have a great brisket alternative that they've made? Has anyone tried the recipe from Gourmet?

A couple of years ago I did rolled veal breast for passover. It was a hit and could be done in advance and in one big roasting pan. I'll see if I can find the recipe.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

Not for Passover per se but when I do a leg of lamb I get it boneless and butterfly till it is one even flat piece.

Season with paprika, garlic, S&P and rub with olive oil....roast or grill 30 to 40 min for med rare

you could do this bone in or boned, rolled and tied but it takes Much longer

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm trying to figure out my Passover menu for Tuesday night, when I'm having about 12 people in my little NY apartment.  Because oven/stove space is tight, I don't like to do individually cooked proteins, but I don't want to do brisket either. 

There's a recipe from a 2003 Gourmet for Spice Braised Lamb with Carrots and Spinach (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/107979).  While I'm excited about the idea of this recipe, the comments are not great.  Does anyone have a similar braised lamb recipe that they love?  Does anyone have a great brisket alternative that they've made?  Has anyone tried the recipe from Gourmet?

I went and looked up that Epicurious recipe you cited--for what it's worth, the majority of the comments on that recipe are pretty to very positive (only 2 negative out of 10 comments). From my experience with epicurious.com, you'll always find a couple of people hating on a recipe, often for no very good reason that I can ever discern; if it's only a couple of those, and most of the comments are positive, I tend to ignore the negatives as outliers. :smile:

The recipe itself looks pretty appealing to me--matching cumin and coriander with lamb is a natural to my way of thinking, and could play really nicely with whatever spicing you're using on the haroset. Some of the recipe comments do suggest upping the spicing in various ways; I could see that working great. Making it a day ahead so that flavors can blend would be an additional good thing (as the recipe advises, I'd wait until the evening you're serving it to put in the spinach).

Why a braise, specifically?

Coincidentally, I have a butterflied leg of lamb rolled up with a tomato paste-herb mixture, sitting in the fridge waiting to be roasted tomorrow.

We always have lamb for passover - brisket is for hannukah - and our is a butterflied leg of lamb marinated in lemon, worcestershire sauce and rosemary then grilled.

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

what about a navarin of spring lamb?

Julia Child's recipe is great

except that some of the ingredients can't be used ..like the flour for thickening or the green peas which some Jews don't use on Passover ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

When I think of braising and lamb, lamb shoulder usually comes to mind. It has more fat and connective tissue and so is a good candiate for braising.

Here's one simple recipe from Hestor Blumenthal: Braised Shoulder of Lamb It's flavored with onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme and white wine.

I don't know if this particular recipe would work for Passover or not.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I have a rack of lamb, and am wondering what to do with it (I've never cooked much meat). My Mum says to let it sit in a light garlic marinade, roast it, and splash it with wine close to the last. Sounds good, but somehow I'm not inspired.

All the aromatic herbs are in season now: sage, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme...and fresh, green garlic. I bought 12 kilos of that garlic, now hanging up and drying. What could I do with some of those fat, juicy heads of garlic, and the lamb?

Miriam

tuckered out and uninspired

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

I have a rack of lamb, and am wondering what to do with it (I've never cooked much meat). My Mum says to let it sit in a light garlic marinade, roast it, and splash it with wine close to the last. Sounds good, but somehow I'm not inspired.

All the aromatic herbs are in season now: sage, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme...and fresh, green garlic. I bought 12 kilos of that garlic, now hanging up and drying. What could I do with some of those fat, juicy heads of garlic, and the lamb?

Miriam

tuckered out and uninspired

how about

pureeing the garlic with fresh herbs and a touch of mustard....smear that on the meat and pat on some bread crumbs....brown in an oven proof pan and pop into the oven till desired temp?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Just located a recipe that might be good for my lamb shoulder:

Wolfgang Puck’s Braised Moroccan-style Lamb with Almonds, Prunes and Dried Apricots

Recipe is courtesy "The New York Times Passover Cookbook," edited by Linda Amster (William Morrow & Co., 1999), and has been adapted from "Adventures in the Kitchen," by Wolfgang Puck (Random House, 1991).

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Just located a recipe that might be good for my lamb shoulder:

Wolfgang Puck’s Braised Moroccan-style Lamb with Almonds, Prunes and Dried Apricots

Recipe is courtesy "The New York Times Passover Cookbook," edited by Linda Amster (William Morrow & Co., 1999), and has been adapted from "Adventures in the Kitchen," by Wolfgang Puck (Random House, 1991).

That sounds delicious. I finally decided on Braised Lamb Shanks with Coriander, Fennel and Star Anise (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/234136).

The rest of my menu is: matzoh ball soup; cranberry, orange and spiced walnut salad; horseradish mashed potatoes; and shredded brussel sprouts with balsamic and shallots.

For dessert I'm thinking strawberry rhubarb compote with homemade ginger ice cream, flourless chocolate torte with pistachio liquor (something new I just picked up called Dumanti) and one more. Ideas?

Here's a link to a braised lamb shank dish that we just adore and everyone we've made it for has always loved. What 's not to like about 2 C. of port, 1 C. of red wine, and 5 heads[/U] of garlic? I have made changes to the recipe. I usually make 6 shanks instead of 4. I do not use all of the broth called for. I only pour in enough to come about half-way up the shanks. I like a more intense sauce. The recipe also calls for getting rid of the veggies and garlic that flavored the meat and the sauce. We take put them into a separate bowl, sometimes kind of mushed up and a bowl of the garlic we squeeze out of the cloves. People can take it or leave it, but it always dissappears. I don't make the orzo or tomatoes. I like to serve it over soft polenta with a side of oven braised fennel. Yummy!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...tml?rsrc=search

Hope that worked. If not let me know and I will P.M. it to you.

Enjoy!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

Just noticed that they changed parts of the recipe. The original one that I got off of the site had as an ingredient

5 heads of garlic, cut in half horizontally

which you add when you add the onions, carrots, and celery, and then go on with the carmelization.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

how about

pureeing the garlic with fresh herbs and a touch of mustard....smear that on the meat and pat on some bread crumbs....brown in an oven proof pan and pop into the oven till desired temp?

tracey

Tracey, that recipe sounds good, with a little variation for Passover: matzah meal instead of bread crumbs, and no mustard.

Melissa, do you think Wolfgang Puck's recipe would work for my rack of lamb? I do have a pot big enough to turn the cut of meat over and over. It looks so good...

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

Well I'm hosting a Seder for eleven tomorrow evening. I'm going to braise seven pounds of lamb shoulder and serve it with black-eyed peas (I'm a Southerner). I'm not following a recipe per se, but a combination of several.

I'm cutting the lamb into 1" chunks. After I brown them, I'm going to braise them in red wine and chicken stock, with lots of mint and garlic. At the table, I intend to serve a mint/parsley chimichurri with it.

I'm cooking the peas separately.

I loved the idea of having a variety of charosset from different places (a la Joan Nathan, from the Wolfgang Puck link in the previous post). I think I'm going to start doing that this year.

These days are great and being in the kitchen all day is lovely. I hope we all enjoy a wonderful Pesach!

"Champagne was served. Emma shivered from head to toe as she felt the iced wine in her mouth. She had never seen pomegranates nor tasted pineapples..." - Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I often do lamb shanks for Passover. Salt and pepper and sear in olive oil. Remove the shanks, saute some garlic, onions, carrots and celery - return shanks to pot and add a bottle of wine and some fresh thyme. Simmer gently and the meat will fall off the bone (which is great for the Seder plate :wink:). Strain the sauce - reduce/thicken (I'd use potato starch to thicken).