• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Devi or Tabla?

Shellygirl

I'm thinking Indian for my birthday. I suppose I would prefer more traditional, but has anybody been to Tabla? Does it try to reach too far? What about Bread Bar? Has Devi stayed consistent? I'd take any other suggestions as well. Thanks!

I love Bread Bar -- but not for a birthday celebration. (emw is going to kill me for that.)

I personally prefer Devi to Tabla. But that's at least partially based on my preference for traditional over fusion. But if you share that preference, then you'd probably also share my preference between the two restaurants.

Every time the comparison comes up here, though, more people here seem to prefer Tabla over Devi.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

I'm ashamed to admit as much as I love Indian food I haven't been to either. The Chef's Market and Winter tasting at Tabla look very interesting if not traditional. http://www.tablany.com/MDR%20Dinner.pdf

Some useful posts here in the Best Indian thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=95578&hl=

That wasn't chicken

I've been to both several times over the past couple years (Tabla's been around a lot longer) and they're certainly both consistently great. I'm half a dot but grew up with South Indian served at home and North Indian was what you went "out to eat" for...chicken tandoori, chicken tikka masala, channa masala (with my dad laughing at us for coming back in the next life as cockroaches), and of course basmati and rice pilaf etc. etc. - what you will find at Devi is this type of cuisine set 1000 light years ahead, mixing regions and methods and always seemingly pulling off a 9.9. You are guaranteed at least 1 or 2 dishes "you could never believe could taste so good" Their breads rock too

You go to Tabla for the Danny Meyers experience and some of the featured ingredients you might expect at top 20 restaurants; Berkshire pork, rock shrimp, escaped sashimi, brought into a new context by the whily use of traditional Indian methods, ingredients, etc.... Tabla is overall a better experience; the room, the service, the wine list,

But if traditional is top of your list, go to Devi. Almost any item on Tabla's menu you could find on the menu of a New American restaurant, but just as Sneak says, Tabla does it does superbly.

I think I had deja vu then looked through that Best Indian thread and I couldn't seem to STFU there - well the info there is still pretty fresh and relevant

Don't forget a poori. They're festive!

Edited by raji (log)

Thank you everyone! Oakapple, I certainly don't object to fusion or Danny Meyer. I just feared what Raji eluded to, that minus a few dishes, Tabla's menu could represent so many other types of fusion. I must (shamefully) admit that I had a small agenda when creating this thread. Although it is my birthday, and I want to go to Devi, my date has been more than pushing for Tabla. And sneaker, you hit the nail on the head. I suppose, for the Tabla supporters, I just need a little bit more convincing. A major worry was that the quality of Devi has dipped a bit. Has anybody been there recently?

Thank you everyone!  Oakapple, I certainly don't object to fusion or Danny Meyer.  I just feared what Raji eluded to, that minus a few dishes, Tabla's menu could represent so many other types of fusion.  I must (shamefully) admit that I had a small agenda when creating this thread. Although it is my birthday, and I want to go to Devi, my date has been more than pushing for Tabla.  And sneaker, you hit the nail on the head.  I suppose, for the Tabla supporters, I just need a little bit more convincing.  A major worry was that the quality of Devi has dipped a bit.  Has anybody been there recently?

I was there in November, it was as good as ever.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

That's so funny! I was reading a menu pg post on a Thai restaurant the other day and the poster wrote; "no one eats pad thai in Thailand". Could you imagine? What kind of idiot would say something like that?

That wasn't chicken

I don't know what's going on with these SOs on your birthday.

I remember one birthday I had to fight with my wife to get her to take me to Pico, which I really wanted to try. (I didn't know then that I could start an eGullet thread to shut her up.)

I mean WTF, you know?

what you will find at Devi is this type of cuisine set 1000 light years ahead, mixing regions and methods and always seemingly pulling off a 9.9. You are guaranteed at least 1 or 2 dishes "you could never believe could taste so good"

FWIW, raji has nailed EXACTLY how I feel about Devi.

Just made the reservations for Devi!  Thanks everyone!  Now, if I'm not being too much of a pain, just a few dish recommendations (so I can prove we've made the right decision!)...

Then are you going to ask for advice as to what presents to ask for?

(I'm in absolute love with the Manchurian Cauliflower appetizer. Some have said it's too sweet and goopy. I think it's just delicious.)

As to menu choices at Devi, do what my SO and I did, have the tasting menus - one with meat and one vegetarian. If both of you are willing to share (and I warn you that's going to be a challenge) then you get to taste the widest range of what they have to offer.

I'm a confirmed carnivore and I had the vegetarian menu. I was absolutely delighted with it - and would have been even if I hadn't been able to strong arm a few bites from hubby's meat dishes.

Have a happy birthday,

Kathy

As to menu choices at Devi, do what my SO and I did, have the tasting menus - one with meat and one vegetarian.  If both of you are willing to share (and I warn you that's going to be a challenge) then you get to taste the widest range of what they have to offer.

I'm a confirmed carnivore and I had the vegetarian menu. I was absolutely delighted with it - and would have been even if I hadn't been able to strong arm a few bites from hubby's meat dishes.

Have a happy birthday,

Kathy

I think it would be a challege to avoid sharing (with this particular company). I am also a meat-freak. But, I will be sure to order a dish off of the veggie menu, thanks!

Although it is my birthday, and I want to go to Devi, my date has been more than pushing for Tabla. 

Tell your date he can go to Tabla on HIS birthday.

Jeez.

Seriously! What the heck! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007