• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pedro Ximenez: what's the correct temperature?

Gypsy Boy

Nothing like a basic question to keep you humble!

I had been under the distinct impression that PX sherry should be served at room temperature (or maybe I should say "cool" room temperature). In the course of various and sundry internet wanderings, I have come across two fairly distinguished bodegas (Toro Albala and Lustau) who both recommend serving PX chilled ('muy frio" in the all-Spanish Toro Albala site). Have I been doing an "oops" all this time? :huh:

What IS the proper temperature to serve PX? (FWIW, the serving in this instance will be done at a vertical tasting of Toro Albala PXs: 1945, 1959, 1966, and 1971).

Many thanks!

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le goût de ce qu'elles sont."

Curnonsky (Maurice Edmond Sailland)

Chilly but not ice cold should be the order of the day. Serving PX at a cool temperature will help temper its tendency towards being cloying in its texture and sweetness. Serve a young, straightforward PX quite cold. For the older vintages you have lined up, I would back off of the chill just a bit so as not to shock the palate or mute the aromas. Exact temperature? That I can't provide in stone, though I would think somewhere in the high 40's up to around 50 degrees F would be about right.