• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Penn Station / Madison Square Garden area

yvonne johnson

Kang Suh for Korean BBQ is great and lots of fun too ask for the BBQ table

1250 B'way @32

the door way is on the corner of an office building :smile:

t

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thank you so much for the recommendations....I'll bring "the list" with me tomorrow and see what the group wants to do...

Thanks, rooftop...we'll be with an young lady from Argentina who has probably never experienced a Korean BBQ..a definite possibility!

Just in case you check in the morning, let me add Artisanal, on 32nd Street just west of Park Avenue, although I haven't been there much. Outside of Korean restaurants, with which I have no first hand experience, I can't think of any restaurants immediately near Macy's. I don't know if I don't know of any because I don't eat in the area, or if I don't eat in the area because I don't know any restaurants there (or if there are none worth knowing). Wait, there's Keen's Chop House on 36th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues. I was there once as a kid. It's famous for its mutton chops.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 2 months later...

visiting this topic again since not much has been posted since '04. i'm looking for good lunch places, $10 and under range, in the herald sqaure/penn station area for workday lunches (and in this case that means take-out or delivery). of specific interest would be things like:

pho

banh mi

bento box

French sandwich/bistro food

Italian sandwich/bistro food

cheeseburgers

grilled cheese type stuff

southern food

california food

fried chicken

puerto rican-style roast chicken w/ rice and beans

big udon-type bowls of noodles

north african stew like with meatballs/spices, etc

hard to scout out the tasty places and am new to working up here...any help is much appreciated.

In Koreatown (32nd between 5th and bdway) I have seen a Pho restaurant (i forget the name Pho 99 or 32, something like that). Although it's owned by Koreans the menu is Vietnamese. It's not as good as the pho in Chinatown but it definitely suffices if you are particularly craving it. There are also a couple noodle joints in K-town like Kum Ryong, and also on 35th st Hye Dong gak (sp?) which specialize in homemade noodle dishes (Korean-style Chinese) including Jam-pong which is a noodle and seafood soup that is spicy-hearty and ja-jang myun which is noodles slathered in black bean sauce and veggies. I think there are some Japanese joints in the area too (I think I saw one on 32nd between 5th and madison) although I havent been to them which would have udon/bento boxes probably.

visiting this topic again since not much has been posted since '04.  i'm looking for good lunch places, $10 and under range, in the herald sqaure/penn station area for workday lunches (and in this case that means take-out or delivery).  of specific interest would be things like:

pho

banh mi

bento box

French sandwich/bistro food

Italian sandwich/bistro food

cheeseburgers

grilled cheese type stuff

southern food

california food

fried chicken

puerto rican-style roast chicken w/ rice and beans

big udon-type bowls of noodles

north african stew like with meatballs/spices, etc

hard to scout out the tasty places and am new to working up here...any help is much appreciated.

I am planning a holiday luncheon for our office of 15 people. We are located at Penn Plaza (we know what a wasteland this is) and would like to be able to walk-this is not an adventurous crowd-so no Korean or Chinese. Any suggestions ( besides Keens) would be greatly appreciated!!

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to say thanks for the rec of Tir Na Nog! I found this thread last week while trying to figure out where six of us could grab a bite before the Billy Joel concert last night (amazing, btw!). The biggest issue is that one of my friends is completely non-adventurous when it comes to eating, so I needed a restaurant with what he calls "normal" food on the menu. In the end, he had a burger and mozzarella sticks and was quite happy. :raz:

GREAT cheeseburger ($10.95), imo, and the shephard's pie ($14.95) was a huge serving and very good as well--just a tad salty for me, but the others didn't complain. The menu has everything from steak to tuna sashimi on it (although I must admit I found that odd!).

Pints and a good dinner for a reasonable price in NYC -- an EXCELLENT combination! Thanks again.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 11 months later...

I'm sure some of the NYC locals will have great suggestions, but my Mom and I had a really nice meal at a raw bar *inside* Penn Station a couple of years ago. The food was really nice and the service wildly friendly... it was my first visit to New York and I had this weird idea that folks would be rude and abrupt, but nope! We had the friendliest Irish American guy taking care of us and we had a ball.

I wish I could think of the name of the place, but it couldn't be hard to find... and I imagine somebody around here would know what it's called.

I'm sure some of the NYC locals will have great suggestions, but my Mom and I had a really nice meal at a raw bar *inside* Penn Station a couple of years ago.  The food was really nice and the service wildly friendly... it was my first visit to New York and I had this weird idea that folks would be rude and abrupt, but nope!  We had the friendliest Irish American guy taking care of us and we had a ball.

I wish I could think of the name of the place, but it couldn't be hard to find...  and I imagine somebody around here would know what it's called.

Is this the place? Or are you thinking of the legendary Oyster Bar at Grand Central?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Could you be thinking of the raw bar inside Grand Central Station (i.e. NOT Penn Station)? I'm not aware of anything decent actually at Penn Station.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Koreatown on 32nd Street (if you like Korean). There are a million choices, many of them good. There's a thread here sorting it out that you can probably find by searching for "Korean."

The Nedicks in Penn Station used to be pretty good -- they adopted this menu a few years ago featuring different regional hot dog styles from around the country -- but I can't find it (meaning the Penn Station Nedicks) anymore and wonder if it's closed.

Keen's Chophouse (it's actually now called Keen's Steakhouse, but I refuse to acknowledge that pussyfooted market-driven alteration) if you want something heavier and much more expensive.

Paddy's Osyter Bar, near Penn Station, is famous. I've never been. I've never even seen it (to my knowledge). I wonder if it's still open?

That immediate area is really horrible - this is always a tough one.

I'd definitely do 1 or 2 Korean lunches, you can really try such a wide variety that it will never get old, one of the best places for lunch is the place, I don't know it's name but it says "24 7" amongst a bunch of chinese characters, it's just east of the Kang Suh and the parking garage.

If you exit on 8th Avenue then you can walk up 9th avenue and there are a few options, Market Cafe @ 37th and 9th, HK at 39th

The Stage Deli @ 33rd is decent...

Hope that's enough for you for now....

That new macaroni and cheese place just opened up near there.  I wish I could remember more information, but it should be searchable on the internet if you're interested in a macaroni and cheese place.

Is it:

Supermac

348 7th Ave (Between 29th Street and 30th Street)

?

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

Thanks for the feedback.......I did lunch everyday at the Guy & Gaillard place on the corner. Toss your own salad type thing. O.K. for what it is. But boy......it is one helluva busy place.

I was taking classes at the International Wine Center and only had 45 minutes each day for a lunch break.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

• 2 months later...

I know this is short notice, but I was hoping some of you New Yorkers could help me out.

I'm training up to the city tomorrow for the NIT final basketball game at the Garden, arriving about 3:30 PM, game is at 7:00, heading back by necessity right after the game. Looking for some recommendations for good food, not fancy, we like anything, walking distance from the Garden. I know there's a ton of stuff around, but can anyone share a favorite nearby before about 11:00 AM tomorrow?

Thanks very much.

I know this is short notice, but I was hoping some of you New Yorkers could help me out.

I'm training up to the city tomorrow for the NIT final basketball game at the Garden, arriving about 3:30 PM, game is at 7:00, heading back by necessity right after the game. Looking for some recommendations for good food, not fancy, we like anything, walking distance from the Garden.  I know there's a ton of stuff around, but can anyone share a favorite nearby before about 11:00 AM tomorrow?

Thanks very much.

You've left your options really wide open, so...

Rolando's Carribbean Food (213 W 35th st, back of the Blimpie's). They close a bit early but cheap and delicious. You can carry your food over to the park in front of Macy's and eat there.

If that doesn't work, try the sushi at Norimaki across the street (224 W. 35th Street). Personally, I like going for the hand rolls.

You could walk further west to Keen's steakhouse. Or for Cuban, Havana NY (27 W 38th St ), between 5th and 6th.

There's also ... well, all of K-town, roughly bounded between 32-35th, between 5th and 6th aves.

Burgers and Cupcakes is west of MSG, not far away (458 Ninth Ave).

Gray's Papaya is at 539 Eighth Ave, at 37th St.

I think Keen's would be your best bet. They serve a late, late lunch (or they did - call and check). Relax, have a single malt after the meal and just stroll to the Garden. It's supposed to be a beautiful night.

Are you a Clemsonite or a West Virginiaite?

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I think Keen's would be your best bet. They serve a late, late lunch (or they did - call and check). Relax, have a single malt after the meal and just stroll to the Garden. It's supposed to be a beautiful night.

Are you a Clemsonite or a West Virginiaite?

Why I'm just a fan of good, clean athletic competition! Ha, I don't think anyone does the NIT that doesn't have a dog in the fight. Tigers all the way, class of '83!

Thanks for the suggestions.