• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

From Scratch Rum Cake

ksaw29

I've always made my rum cakes from that popular recipe that calls for cake mix and jello pudding. Although I've always gotten compliments on it, I really REALLY want to make this cake from scratch. I get a greater satisfaction...

So, are you the one with the best recipe :wink: ?

I may not have the best but this one is a really good one!!! Just a standared poundcake recipe with pinch of mace ..the entire contents of a vanilla bean and 1/2 cup of good rum in the batter and then bake ..remove from the oven and top the hot cake with a glaze made of powdered sugar rum and walnuts once while it is hot then again while it is cool ..this comes out fantastic!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Dorie Greenspan has a rum soaked vanilla poundcake in her book. I haven't made it yet (although I have every intention of doing so), but the recipe is discussed in the topic about her new book.

there you go and actual recipe for it! very cool!!

I love how mine turn out but they are not predictable at all I just make a pound cake with a pound of each thing I wonder if her recipe is like that ..I have to check it out!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet