• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Murray Hill

Kobi

Hi all!!

Just moved to 34th and 2nd and would love to hear any and all recomendations EG'ers may have for the area. I found a bunch of old threads but nothing too recent so I was looking for an updated thread.

Basically open to all suggestions, but mainly in take out/delivery options in the 10-12 dollar range for dinners after work.

Thanks, so much, in advance.

KOBI

Likewise, Sarge's

Saburi @ 30th and Lexington, some of the best ramen you will find in the city and wafuuchuuka that is excellent even by Japan standards

and that area is curry hill and hosts the best south Indian I've been able to find. Madras Mahal is my favorite however Mayur introduced me to V_____________ whatever it was it was just great....

So now I split time between the 2

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3...uka&btnG=Search

My bad I had one too many 'U's in there (which I thought belongs there)

http://images.google.co.jp/images?hl=en&q=...m=1&sa=N&tab=wi

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails...d=1&cuisineid=0

Chef craft under Iron Chef Chin Kenichi

"American Chinese" food, many Asians will cringe (although I do have an affinity for some dishes when done right). It conjures images of battered and deep fried leather, drowned in globs of sickeningly sweet, or stroke inducingly salty sauce. Japan has own breed of Chinese cuisine called Wafu-Chuka (or Japanese style-Chinese), but unlike their mongrel brethren in the US, the Japanese variety is still well regarded in most Asian circles. While Chuka Fu restaurants are few and rare in the US.

I DID in fact teach myself Japanese from the Japanese-alphabet backgrounds of Chinese-run Japanese restaurant menus (it's pure gibberish and pretty funny)

I personally think that raji makes up half those "Japanese" terms he throws around, and you're just the first person to have called him on it.

I personally think that raji makes up half those "Japanese" terms he throws around, and you're just the first person to have called him on it.

Damn, I just choked on my water.

Raji, your "U" key is stuck today or something? :-D

Edited by larrylee (log)

I love Dock's, on 40th/3rd. It's a seafood/grill. It's a little bit more expensive than what you specified in your original posting but it's great for a date, or a nice night out, or taking your family to dinner, etc.

My boyfriend lives a few blocks south of you - I'd love to know what restaurants you find that you enjoy. And I'll fill you in on more when I actually take a look at his neighborhood a bit more in depth.

Welcome to NYC! :smile:

and that area is curry hill and hosts the best south Indian I've been able to find. Madras Mahal is my favorite however Mayur introduced me to V_____________ whatever it was it was just great....

That would be Saravanaas, on 26th and Lexington. Fabulous!

Raji will suggest a better option, but I've found that Mishima (31st and Lex) is relatively inexpensive,

super-tasty, and has satisfied the palates of my Japanese friends. (Of course, I don't know what happens if you order as a gaijin.)

I have heard good things about Copper Chimney (which I think is 27th just west of Lex), but never tried it.

There are, of course, the more expensive offerings at Les Halles, Artisanal, and Park Bistro (is Park Bistro really all that?).

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Mishima had a real rough patch... the 90s.... but a couple years later new management and itamae came and they are a very good neighborhood Japanese, a dying breed of restaurant..... Sesumi had a long run in that role as well...

Yes thank you Mayur for Saravanaas

If you have a Ghee allowance (just ran a marathon) hit up Madras Mahal