• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & Chip

Cookwithlove

Yesterday i had a good fish and chip. I do not know what fish they are using definitely not dory but a much better fish; succulent, moist and cook to the teeth. Golden brown probably clean oil and right temperature and the meat nice white probably soak or season in milk. I think is an old fashion english fish and chip batter form. what says you the professional....... your comment?

my 2 cents

Happy cooking!

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

Cod is what I like to use.

For the batter:

1/4 cup corn startch

3/4 cup self rising flour

light beer

Mix flour and corn startch and whisk in enough beer to get the consistency of a runny pankace batter, and refrigerate.

Cut the Cod into sticks or flat chunks.

Preheat corn oil to 375 F, using tongs, dunk the fish into the cold batter and place in the oil. Try not to over crowd the fish in the oil (this depends on the size of your fryer).

Fry until golden brown and crisp.

I've never done fish and chips myself, but I recently read a fascinating article by Harold McGee on making fried fish. Basically, the secret to a great fried fish is adding alcohol -- it dissolves the gluten (no toughness) and boils off faster (crisp, brown, and fish doesn't overcook).

The link above references a NY Times article, which currently requires a subscription.

The recipe in the article is as follows:

Fried Fish With Vodka and Beer Batter

Adapted from ''In Search of Perfection,'' by Heston Blumenthal (Bloomsbury, 2006)

Time: About 45 minutes

1 1/2 pounds (about 4 large fillets) turbot, sole or flounder

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 1/4 cups white rice flour; more for dusting

2 to 3 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups vodka

1 1/4 cups lager beer.

1. Rinse fish fillets, and dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper, and dust with rice flour, shaking off any extra. Set aside.

2. Place a wide, deep pan over medium heat. Add oil to a depth of at least 11/2 inches, and bring to 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. In a medium bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, 11/4 cups rice flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir in the vodka and beer to make a batter. (Don't make batter ahead of time, or the bubbles from the lager will be lost.)

3. Dip one fillet into batter to coat it completely, and lower into hot oil. Repeat with other fillets. When undersides of fillets are golden brown, after 1 or 2 minutes, turn, and brown other sides, a minute or two. Lift from oil, drain and serve.

Yield: 4 servings.

I've never done fish and chips myself, but I recently read a fascinating article by Harold McGee on making fried fish. Basically, the secret to a great fried fish is adding alcohol -- it dissolves the gluten (no toughness) and boils off faster (crisp, brown, and fish doesn't overcook).

The link above references a NY Times article, which currently requires a subscription.

The recipe in the article is as follows:

Fried Fish With Vodka and Beer Batter

Adapted from ''In Search of Perfection,'' by Heston Blumenthal (Bloomsbury, 2006)

Time: About 45 minutes

1 1/2 pounds (about 4 large fillets) turbot, sole or flounder

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 1/4 cups white rice flour; more for dusting

2 to 3 quarts vegetable oil for deep-frying

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/4 cups vodka

1 1/4 cups lager beer.

1. Rinse fish fillets, and dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper, and dust with rice flour, shaking off any extra. Set aside.

2. Place a wide, deep pan over medium heat. Add oil to a depth of at least 11/2 inches, and bring to 375 degrees on a deep-fry thermometer. In a medium bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, 11/4 cups rice flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir in the vodka and beer to make a batter. (Don't make batter ahead of time, or the bubbles from the lager will be lost.)

3. Dip one fillet into batter to coat it completely, and lower into hot oil. Repeat with other fillets. When undersides of fillets are golden brown, after 1 or 2 minutes, turn, and brown other sides, a minute or two. Lift from oil, drain and serve.

Yield: 4 servings.

I like the sound of this method! I've made beer-battered before, but I'll have to try vodka.

Thanks for the link.

my motto: taste, savor, share

circulation manager, imbibe magazine

celebrate the world in a glass