• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Menus

Kim Shook

Minimalist here for just a few. who care little about tradition.  Egg/pea salad on toast points or with corn tortilla chips freshy made and split pea soup with a roasteed lamb stock base (simmering now). . Lemon bars for tea/coffee. 

Due to circumstances at least some of which were beyond my control, Easter dinner got pushed to the side. So I'm eating junk; will make a pilgrimage out to the crawfish place later this afternoon for three or four pounds of boiled crawfish, because that sounds good; and recycle the turkey breast (which never got brined) by brining tonight and smoking it tomorrow, and make the sugar snaps into a salad with viniagrette, and maybe cook one pound of the asparagus or just blanch it and throw it in with the sugar snaps in a salad. In a viniagrette dressing, I can eat on that and smoked turkey most of the week.

I did make Good Friday service and the 11 a.m. today, although sunrise service went by the wayside.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Easter dinner at my MIL's was very good.  Carrot soup, ham, au gratin potatoes (which were tender - an outcome I sometimes have trouble with), Caprese salad (not sure why she bothered with that - the tomatoes were tasteless), her fantastic yeast rolls, cucumbers with a rice vinegar/sesame oil dressing, roasted asparagus and a gooey, fluffy strawberry/cream cheese pie.  Jessica contributed her delicious, classic deviled eggs (no picture) and I did Instant Pot collards which were just crazy good: 

DSCN9535.JPG.00043488246a87644446bf1cdb3aaba6.JPG

Breakfast and lunch for the next week will consist of:

DSCN9529.JPG.fb92b2126eb138474f01d5930652227a.JPG

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Too much wine to remember to take pictures 😧

we had bbq butterflied lamb which had been marinated in olive oil, mint, rosemary, garlic and lemon zest.  My brother made harissa potatoes from Otto Y’s Simple and I made a nice vegetable braise of fennel, red and green peppers and puréed tomatoes.  The potatoes stole the show.  We ate almost all the recipe which was ALOT.  130 grams of duck will make any kinda veggie taste extraordinary .  I have to say I cooked the lamb perfectly but those potatoes...just could not compete.  However, we had Thomas Keller’s chocolate ice cream and a cherry chocolate brownie for desert...May have pulled even on that.

hope everyone had or is having a good weekend.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 5

I roasted a small prime rib for Easter thanks to a local grocery store's coupon. If ever I meet Martha Stewart, I will kiss her toes for her prime rib recipe which I found on the internet. While I used my mom's herb rub on the roast, I used Martha's cooking times and the prime rib turned out perfectly. The crust was crunchy and "crackley" and the interior was a nice medium rare.

• Like 7

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

On 4/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, chromedome said:

Ham, scalloped potatoes, greens, green beans, squash, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (holiday meals at my place are always "veggie-palooza"), ham gravy, dinner rolls and/or buttermilk biscuits (possibly both) and probably blueberry cobbler for dessert.

That's pretty much how it ended up, except with cabbage in lieu of cauliflower. Pan rolls and buttermilk biscuits, because we had some who liked each so what the heck. The cobbler plus a cake and caramel sauce (a favorite of my sweetie, who's back on keto now that the holiday meal is over).

Only 10 of us at table, in the end, though my GF's sister joined us via Skype from the opposite coast.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning