• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Menus

Kim Shook

Current plan for this year:

Cocktail TBD - something with citrus, maybe a punch, maybe something with sparkling wine

Fava bean & homemade ricotta tartine

Salad TBD

Lamb and artichoke stew (Ragout d'agneau aux artichauts) from The Country Cooking of France

Peas with onions and lettuce

Lemon tart

Chocolate dessert TBD

I plan on making the stew and desserts in advance, so I will have very little last minute prep.

• Like 3

Mine has finally firmed up. 

Honeybaked ham, already cooked, already sliced; will just have to warm in oven for a bit.

Sugar snap peas, blanched and shocked, then tossed in butter.

Possibly a green pea salad, possibly not, depending on whether I take a notion.

Asparagus, roasted, with blender Hollandaise.

Corn casserole.

Mac and cheese (for the kids!).

Deviled eggs and assorted relishes.

For dessert, a Key lime pie and pound cake with sliced, macerated strawberries and whipped cream.

All done in advance except for corn casserole, asparagus and sugar snaps, and the latter two will be prepped the day before.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Devilled eggs of various types yet to be determined

Smoked pork tenderloin with lingonberry sauce

Potato salad

Roast veg

Fennel/onion gratin

White asparagus

Choc torte

• Like 4

I did not make this!

Posted for your amusement (please ignore the grammar :D)

Host's note: the link and attribution required by the eG Copyright Guidelines are embedded above and the 'grammar' refers to the photo's caption.  The link is to a Facebook post by the Fry Up Police: https://www.facebook.com/fryuppolice/photos/a.689796307757343.1073741833.663388837064757/1004469319623372/?type=3&theater

Edited by Smithy
Added host's note (log)

• 3 years later...

Bumping this one up. What's everyone planning? At my house, it's smoked turkey breast, pork tenderloin, asparagus, green peas in some preparation (I like them in a salad, everyone else likes them just cooked with butter), asparagus (likely just roasted, with hollandaise),  deviled eggs, corn casserole (fresh corn I froze last year, with sour cream, egg, melted butter, Jiffy cornbread mix), and deviled eggs. Yeast rolls. Strawberries over pound cake for dessert. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

Ham, scalloped potatoes, greens, green beans, squash, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (holiday meals at my place are always "veggie-palooza"), ham gravy, dinner rolls and/or buttermilk biscuits (possibly both) and probably blueberry cobbler for dessert.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Smoked pork tenderloin w savory lingonberry sauce, roast veg platter (sprouts, asparagus,sweet potato, cauliflower), potato salad, rolls,  deviled eggs of various sorts.

Outdoors if the weather cooperates.

Dessert to be named later.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Ham, scalloped potatoes, greens, green beans, squash, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower (holiday meals at my place are always "veggie-palooza"), ham gravy, dinner rolls and/or buttermilk biscuits (possibly both) and probably blueberry cobbler for dessert.

I was inclined toward scalloped potatoes but the corn is a family favorite, too. I may do both.

Don't ask. Eat it.

We are having bbq butterflied leg of lamb as part of a Greek themed dinner.  Sides are roasted potatoes and a braise of fennel, peppers and tomatoes.  Not planning dessert but someone wants there is homemade ice cream in the freezer.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, heidih said:

What!?- no lamb?? 

I love it, but we have a large and varied crowd and lamb was riskier. Also, I got the ham on sale for $1/lb.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

HamLambpalooza for me this weekend.

Baked ham,  home made potato salad, and empandas on Saturday.

Sunday.......Leg of Lamb.  I got one from Pure Bred Lambs (Elysian Fields), this is where the French Laundry gets their lamb  will rub with garlic. rosemary, preserved lemons,    Served with a mint/carrot top chimichurri.

Pommes Anna (I think unless I change)

Barbecue Carrots ala Publican

Salad with greens, lettuce, artichokes, olives, roasted red peppers and red onions with a homemade vinaigrette and crumbled bleu cheese

Ciabatta garlic toast.

Lotsa of excellent wines....beer and yes, Lent is over...I will have bourbon!!!

• Like 4

Wow, now that’s an Easter spread!

everything sounds wonderful.

we have a grass fed, free range lamb source.  The meat is so tender and flavourful we are not keen to do much to it other than salt and pepper so the meat can shine through.

• Like 2

I am very lucky that my MIL offered to do Easter dinner this year.  Pretty sure she is doing a ham, some kind of potatoes, asparagus and hot yeast rolls.  Not sure about dessert.  Jessica is bringing deviled eggs and I'm doing Instant Pot collards (I don't like asparagus).  I usually love doing Easter dinner, but this year is tough.  Too much going on with my mom's health and financial issues and for some reason Holy Week is kicking my butt this year.  Church every night - plus we did the midnight to 1am shift sitting in church tonight (meaning last night, I guess), then I am helping Jessica do chocolate dipped strawberries for serving with champagne after the Easter vigil Saturday night.  And it happens to coincide this year with my turn at shopping for supplies for 100 lunches that we take once a month to homeless shelters in town.  I'll shop tomorrow, help make lunches Saturday morning and then stay at church to do the strawberries!  So, collards only works very well for me this year!  😉

• Like 4

My mom will be cooking (I'll be at church for the umm, 8th time since this past Saturday. Yay for heading the Altar Guild...), and I believe both ham & brisket are on the menu, because it's also Passover and my father is Jewish. Mashed potatoes, green beans, broccoli (probably with cheese sauce) are expected, as well as macaroni & cheese. I'm getting dessert at a bakery, possibly Italian pastries, or whatever cake looks good. It's just going to be 6-7 of us. And of course, we'll be bringing a ham pie, aka Pizza Rustica/Easter Pie.

• Like 4

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

My brother dropped off a nine pound bone in leg of lamb that he got from Lobel's and asked me to make it on the grill.  I have never grilled a leg of lamb before.  I settled on this recipe: https://food52.com/recipes/3851-grilled-leg-of-lamb-with-dijon-mustard-rosemary-and-garlic  Hopefully it will be good.

I. along with three others who will be at the meal, do not eat lamb, so I am also doing roasted chicken with a honey glaze.  Side dishes are all various family requests: duck fat roasted potatoes (father), asparagus (sister), whisky-glazed carrots (niece), and some sort of bread (nephew) and some sort of salad (mother) TBD this evening. 

My parents strongly dislike appetizers before dinner so I am not making any.  No one in my family is a big fan of dessert either so I'm just going to put out a small plate of mini desserts that I already have made in the freezer just in case anyone (the teens haha) wants something.  Husband is in charge of the wine selections.  I know we'll start the gathering with a champagne toast to my parents, who are celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary today.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Allura said:

My mom will be cooking (I'll be at church for the umm, 8th time since this past Saturday. Yay for heading the Altar Guild...), and I believe both ham & brisket are on the menu, because it's also Passover and my father is Jewish. Mashed potatoes, green beans, broccoli (probably with cheese sauce) are expected, as well as macaroni & cheese. I'm getting dessert at a bakery, possibly Italian pastries, or whatever cake looks good. It's just going to be 6-7 of us. And of course, we'll be bringing a ham pie, aka Pizza Rustica/Easter Pie.

Giancarlos's or Anthony and Son's?  

Got a friend who is Irish and Polish; wife is Jewish.   We compared info today and he said latkes today(brisket on Good Friday didn't seem like a good idea); brisket tomorrow and lamb on Sunday...

I am a UU and husband does not celebrate Easter so right now it stands at my "free" Kosher chicken then goodness knows what else if/when he gets home Sunday.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Moving to a new place very soon so my Easter menu will be the same as most other days for the past couple weeks... whatever I find in the freezer that I can eat so I don't have to move it or throw it out.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

13 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Giancarlos's or Anthony and Son's?  

Neither, we'll actually make it. My family's version seems to be different from every other one I've seen.  This one is pretty close, though. The one I make is ham, salami, provolone, parm, and ricotta. Although I suspect my grandmother used romano not parmesan. My grandfather owned a butcher shop so my grandmother made it for multiple holidays because she'd use the ends of the cold cuts from the store. 

• Like 1

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley