• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Menus

Kim Shook

Our Easter dinner (lunch) will be more than a week early -- tomorrow, in fact, because that's when a friend can get a day off from work!

The "Sings of Spring" menu:

Appetizer: Asparagus spears wrapped with smoked salmon

Main course: Roast Boneless Leg of Lamb with Fennel and Orange Rub (recipe in the latest issue of The Costco Connection -- go to page 28)

Vegetable: Giada de Laurentiis' Stuffed Artichokes -- the photo in her Everyday Italian cookbook (borrowed from the library) was so pretty, and an Italian neighbor used to make almost the same dish

French bread

Dessert: Homemade cream puffs filled with whipped cream, served with fresh strawberries

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I live in rural Southern Virginia. We have a Jersey milk cow for our own use and have 6 Katahdin ewes and a flock sire. So far this year we have 4 ram freezer lambs. We have one left in the frezzer from last year and his will be the leg of lamb for this year's Easter dinner. We also have a flock of chickens which supply all our eggs and the extra roosters amke the most lovely stock.

I will try and figure out the pic posting thing as I would love to contribute that way as well. I see so many appetizing, beautiful culinary offerings from so many of the members here!

All the best,

~Berta

Another Virginian!! I am in Richmond. Welcome, welcome!

Kim

Since we are only three this year, I'm trying to keep it simple but festive.

Asparagus wrapped in Proscuitto.

Boneless lamb leg according to recipe (more or less) in Silver Palate. It's an excellent recipe.

Duchesse potato

Spinach salad with pinenuts

Chocolate Orange Mousse Cake Baked by my eldest.

BarbarY--which Silver Palate? I am thinking about boneless LOL also. There was a good recipe in Fine Cooking within the past 2 years for stuffed bonelss LOL using mint, raisins, pine nuts and breadcrumbs and the seam side was on top so the stuffing poked out the top and got nicely crunchy. I think it was served with a red onion/balsamic jam. I like the combinations but am always looking for other ideas.

Well my menu changed due to popular request and the lack of any wonderful wild whole salmon right now...

I will make Persian food

Persian leg of lamb

sour cherry rice (if you have never made this or had it ..you should it is a wonderful use of basmati and saffron)

roasted tomatoes (I wish it was the season for fresh ones the hot house do not cut it)

plates of fresh herbs, sliced sweet onions and lots of olives

have to have some Yakima asparagus anyway

flat bread

rosewater sorbet

and my traditional Caribbean black cake with coffee ( fusion menu?)

still doing beer and wine for the beverages

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I usually go to my "village" for Easter where I invariably get to eat traditional lamb on the spit at about a 100 different relatives.

This year however I am staying in Athens as we have to "babysit" my girlfriend's boxer Ramone :biggrin:

Lamb in the oven ( I slow roast it for 12 hours and it comes out divine)

Welcome to egullet. I would love to know your recipe for this lamb. I have never cooked lamb and my darling son insists we have to have it because, "It's my last Easter at home." Picture big brown eyes and a huge grin before he moves out. We will be at church for a large part of the day so this sounds perfect.

Thank you!

Ellen

Hi Ellen

Thanks form the welcome, I plan on being here for a long time, I really love this forum and I'm so glad I found it (hopefully I'll be able to post pictures soon)

As far as the lamb goes, my method is extremely simple

I usually get a leg of lamb and punch holes in it with a knife, I fill these with a mixture of black pepper, salt and oreganum and then push a clove of garlic into meat.(I make sure I make deep cuts.)

I usually fill about 8-10 gashes all over the leg, I rub the whole leg with the salt, pepper and oreganum mix and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.

On Easter Saturday at about midnight I pop it in the oven in a covered dish, my oven temperature says 120, I assume this is Celsius, in any event it's a very low oven.

On Sunday at about 1.00pm my lamb is ready, it is moist, extremely tender, and literally falling off the bone. :laugh:

Enjoy

Greg

Edited by GreekCook (log)

Here's what you'll find at one Easter table in faraway Estonia:

* pasha/pashka (a must-have. We'll probably have two different ones, as both myself and my bf are keen to show off their own version :laugh: )

* kulitcha (have never made it before, but keen to try. Has anyone got the best recipe? Ludja? Alinka?)

* small curd cheese and orange buns

* the Greek Easter bread tsoureki, as I've made it for two years already and I really love it (it uses mastic and mechlepe, which make it really special)

* soft-boiled quail's eggs with whitefish roe

* lots of eggs: some dyed with onion skins, some with beetroot juice. These will mostly end up either in a egg salad or stuffed eggs in the days after the festivities..

(luckily, there won't be (m)any chocolate eggs, however, as these are not popular here - I still haven't spotted any prominent displays of chocolate eggs in the supermarkets yet, for instance)

* something fishy - possibly kedgeree, as I miss British food a little :huh:

We're still discussing some other dishes to make, but basically the whole meal is focused on eggs and curd cheese and sweet pastries.

Edited by Pille (log)

Actually making two dinners - Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday.

This isn't complete, but so far:

Lemon, Poppy Seed Waffles served with Smoked Salmon, Capers and Onions.

Fried Calamari with Anchovy Mayo

Green Olives stuffed with Piquillo Peppers and Anchovies with Orange Zest

Roasted Baby Red Potatoes with Sour Cream and Salmon Roe

Eggs Diana

Wild Mushroom Turnovers

Panini

Roasted Red Pepper and Almond Crostini

Roasted Marinated Lamb Loin

Pork Loin with Mushroom Fricasse

Steamed Asparagus with Miso Butter

Roasted Cauliflower with Onions & Fennel

Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes with Roasted Garlic

Chocolate Mousse

Homemade Ice Cream (haven't decided on the flavors, though one will proably be espresso).

Looking at an Imperial of 2002 Amarone Valpolicella

2004 Windsor Vineyards Gerwurztraminer

1978 Chateau Margeaux (with the Lamb Loin)

I will probably add another vegetable and two-three more apps. Still looking for something different to do with Shrimp. Considering the Shrimp in Brik Pastry from last week's NY Times. We'll see.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

hummingbirdkiss--would you post your recipe for Persian Lamb?

of course!! here you go..... the sour cherry rice is to die for with this if you like I can write that one out as well?

this is not an exact recipe and I do vary the amts of the spices and toast them a bit before I grind them up

1 leg of lamb (I am trying a boneless this year because I got a fantactic deal from the butcher ..but I am going to miss that bone for stock later!)

in the food processor make a rub/paste with the following:

1 piece of ginger about 2inches long

6 cloves of garlic

1 tsp of freshly ground cardamom

1 tsp freshly ground cloves

1 tsp of freshly ground cinamon

1 tsp turmeric powder

2 tsp of freshly ground cumin seeds

1 tsp ground red chile

1 tbl kosher salt

1 tbl fresh cracked pepper

juice of 2 lemons

1/3 cup of yogurt

1/4 cup of honey

rub this all over the meat wrap it up tightly in plastic and put in a big pan in the fridg at least 24hrs ...and because this is not really a runny rub you can plan to turn it when you think of it

to roast the lamb

put the lamb on a rack in a roasting pan ..cover with foil and roast at 350 for about 90 min until the lamb is about 160 degrees inside .. Remove from the oven and raise the temp of the oven to about 450 and baste it well with juices if there are any ..then put back in the oven for about 30 min until the outside is browned

take the lamb out of the oven and let it rest for at least 20 min prior to slicing

Piglet 

[

of course!! here you go.....  the sour cherry rice is to die for with this if you like I can write that one out as well?

Please give us the rice recipe , too. This sounds delicious!

Here you go ..rather than try to write mine out this is almost exactly what I do ..the one thing I change is because I can not fond those cherries in my area I go to Trader Joes and buy them dried ..rehydrate and make my own syrupy cherries ...other than that this is pretty much it

the roasted tomatoes with this rice and lamb!!!! yum...then you serve some plates with fresh herbs I love to use chives, parsley and mint ....sliced sweet onions ...lavash bread, olives and Greek yogurt with the mean ...

this is an awesome meal ..I am getting excited about this now!

olive shopping day is tomorrow!!!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/food...cherries15.html

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

sorry I forgot to add it then had to add it ..so you did not see it the first time dork that I am!!

this rice is stunning ..deep dark bing cherry and garnishes so beautifully on a platter...everyone i have ever made this for ..loves it...and the flavor and aroma are just spectacular ..it is by far my favorite rice to make especially for a holiday ...

I am making an extra platter for work ..they are going to be thrilled i have not made it for over a year for them!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

hummingbirdkiss--would you post your recipe for Persian Lamb?

of course!! here you go..... the sour cherry rice is to die for with this if you like I can write that one out as well?

this is not an exact recipe and I do vary the amts of the spices and toast them a bit before I grind them up

1 leg of lamb (I am trying a boneless this year because I got a fantactic deal from the butcher ..but I am going to miss that bone for stock later!)

in the food processor make a rub/paste with the following:

1 piece of ginger about 2inches long

6 cloves of garlic

1 tsp of freshly ground cardamom

1 tsp freshly ground cloves

1 tsp of freshly ground cinamon

1 tsp turmeric powder

2 tsp of freshly ground cumin seeds

1 tsp ground red chile

1 tbl kosher salt

1 tbl fresh cracked pepper

juice of 2 lemons

1/3 cup of yogurt

1/4 cup of honey

rub this all over the meat wrap it up tightly in plastic and put in a big pan in the fridg at least 24hrs ...and because this is not really a runny rub you can plan to turn it when you think of it

to roast the lamb

put the lamb on a rack in a roasting pan ..cover with foil and roast at 350 for about 90 min until the lamb is about 160 degrees inside .. Remove from the oven and raise the temp of the oven to about 450 and baste it well with juices if there are any ..then put back in the oven for about 30 min until the outside is browned

take the lamb out of the oven and let it rest for at least 20 min prior to slicing

This sounds absolutely mouth watering, I can't wait to try it, but after Easter coz I'll be lynched if I deviate from the "tradtional" Easter lamb

Thanks for the recipe :biggrin:

the Greek Easter bread tsoureki, as I've made it for two years already and I really love it (it uses mastic and mechlepe, which make it really special)

I made a tsoureki today and it was nice but I can't seem to get the texture to be slightly stringy and chewy as opposed to the uniform texture I keep getting.

I'm curious How does yours come out? Any advice?

I was never very good at baking and this was my second attempt at tsourekia, it looks great, tastes divine but when I compare it to the bakery's, it lacks the chewiness....Mine tastes better though :raz:

Edited by GreekCook (log)

the Greek Easter bread tsoureki, as I've made it for two years already and I really love it (it uses mastic and mechlepe, which make it really special)

I made a tsoureki today and it was nice but I can't seem to get the texture to be slightly stringy and chewy as opposed to the uniform texture I keep getting.

I'm curious How does yours come out? Any advice?

I haven't had tsoureki in Greece :unsure: , but my Greek friends in Edinburgh were really pleased with my efforts and ate all of it in no time whatsoever (two days in a row as well). Apparently it tasted just like grandmother's, said one. Maybe he was just trying to be nice to me :laugh: In any case, the tsoureki wasn't too fluffy or light, if I remember correctly, but I wouldn't describe it stringy either (chewy, maybe)..

BarbarY--which Silver Palate?  I am thinking about boneless LOL also.  There was a good recipe in Fine Cooking within the past 2 years for stuffed bonelss LOL using mint, raisins, pine nuts and breadcrumbs and the seam side was on top so the stuffing poked out the top and got nicely crunchy.  I think it was served with a red onion/balsamic jam.  I like the combinations but am always looking for other ideas.

It's from the original Silver Palate printed in 1979, Roast Lamb with Peppercorn Crust. It's marinated in raspberry vinegar and red wine with, rosemary, mint, and lots of garlic. Then it is rubbed with mustard and mixed peppercorns.

I'm still thinking about dinner (for 4, on easter Sunday) but I know that dessert will be Mille Crepes cake with lemoncurd.

For starter, probably shrimp with orange/shallot sauce and radicchio, from Paula Wolferts Slow Meditteranean, and the green herb jam with crackers from the same book.

The main course better have no citrus :smile:

My Easter plans haven't been formulated yet, but I'm definitely making lamb ham, because it's already curing in the fridge: a bone-in leg of lamb cut, cured with curing salt, turbinado sugar, and Old Bay. (I have no idea if turbinado is good for curing with or not, I had just forgotten to buy white sugar.)

I took the little nobby end from the cut and made a lamb broth with it, and I'm going to use that for red-eye gravy.

If I'm cooking Easter dinner myself, or if I'm going somewhere where I'm not doing any of the cooking and wind up having this on a different day, I'll serve it with white grits and petits pois from Trader Joe's. Otherwise, since I'm with the northern half of my family and red-eye gravy and grits won't go over as well with them as with the Tennessee-Alabama half, I may make the Persian sour cherry rice mentioned above.

Thanks to both who replied with recipes/sources for lamb. They both sound great and the sour cherry rice divine!! Such decisions--only one lamb leg!! I definitely want to use both so we will probably be eating lots of lamb!!