• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First meal with your partner...

GTO

I've just been thinking (why, I don't know, perhaps a touch of loneliness :raz:), when you met your partner, what was the first thing you (or they) cooked?

Was it something lavish? Simple? Complicated? Did you cook together?

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

I don't remember!!! We've been together more than 16 years, and I can't specifically recall any of the first meals I cooked for my husband -- just that he liked my cooking (or as he says, "She loves to cook, and I love to eat").

I do remember our first date, though. We'd found each other long-distance, via a singles group, and his 25-words-or-less blurb contained the memorable line, "Loves sushi and chocolate." I figured anyone who loves sushi and chocolate can't be all bad :wink: , so I wrote to him.

After some further correspondence, he flew 5,000 miles to meet me. We went to a sushi bar, followed by espresso and pastries at a quaint Italian bakery/cafe. It was :wub: at first sight for both of us. :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Very nice, Suzy. If I were you, I'd so have attempted a novelty Sushi-shaped chocolate contraption of some kind.

LOL! Haven't made that yet... though there actually are at least two confectioners that make chocolate sushi!

http://www.kookisushi.com/

http://www.chocolatesushi.com/home.html

Edited by SuzySushi (log)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Does a joint and a bottle of Freemark Abbey Cabernet Sauvignon (as it was then called) count?

I guess the first meal with food was when she took me to small French place then much-liked in DC called Le Gaulois. So I guess we had something French. Can't remember the meal but I do recall us drinking more, or more expensive wine than we had planned/probably should have and she had to leave the restaurant to get more cash (me being broke), a pattern that persists to this day, 25 years later.

Dear girl was only 18.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm pretty sure it was about our 3rd date when I cooked for my future wife. It was my Mom's failsafe "barbecue brisket in the crockpot", Golden Potato casserole, green beans, tossed salad, potato rolls (purchased), and probably a pudding and coolwhip pie. I had just moved out of my parent's house a month earlier, and was working with the resources I had while rooming with my buddy from high school. She seemed to find it acceptable, since I'm still doing most of the cooking 20 years later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“A favorite dish in Kansas is creamed corn on a stick.”

-Jeff Harms, actor, comedian.

>Enjoying every bite, because I don't know any better...

I met my (now) husband when I walked into the kitchen of the house I rented with two other girls and he was standing there frying deer steak. We were all poor college students and a couple of times a month, my roomates and I would beg stuff from our parents' freezers and cook for as large a crowd as we could feed. My husband was the roomate of one of my roomate's friends from high school and had tagged along for the food.

When I saw him, I decided I would make the purple hull peas and mashed potatoes for the meal. The potatoes were out of a can and the potatoes were the instant kind. We have come a long way in the 12 years since then. No more canned peas or powdered potatoes. I usually fry the deer steak now, but he still likes to cook and I still love his cooking.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Did you manage to refrain from any "Oh deer" jokes, shellfishfiend?

"Oh deer! If I knew you were coming, I'd have showered!"

I can't believe how quickly this has taken off. Such unexpected replies too.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

The first meal we had together was at Coopersmith's in Fort Collins, CO. We still go there any time we're nearby.

The first meal I cooked for him was lasagna, I think salad, and chocolate covered strawberries with champagne. He says that's when he fell in love with me :wub: .

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Did you manage to refrain from any "Oh deer" jokes, shellfishfiend?

"Oh deer! If I knew you were coming, I'd have showered!"

I can't believe how quickly this has taken off. Such unexpected replies too.

I don't recall any specifc "deer' jokes, but we are both smart asses, so I'm sure there was plenty of joking going on. The "dear" has become more of a smart ass with each passing year of marriage. :raz:

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

We were set up. We each had a coffee and some kind of pastry at Politics and Prose.

The first meal he made me was homemade chicken soup on a quilt in front of a fire. I thought it was a pretty good try for a guy who forgets to eat if he's not reminded.

The first meal I made him was breakfast the following morning. :raz: As I recall he was taken with my taters..Pommes Anna. I just think they are so pretty that way, with herbs between the layers.

The real test of the relationship came about six months later when I set his kitchen on fire. :cool:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

We just celebrated our 25th anniversary on the 20th and I actually remember the first real meal that I made for him.

It was my family standby roast beef, brussels sprouts, roast potatoes and Yorkshire pud. I told him about the menu in advance and he said it sounded wonderful.

When he tasted the brussels spouts he said, "these are fantastic!" I thanked him casually and he said, "No, you don't understand, I was eating them to be polite - I hate brussels spouts! These are the first ones I have ever liked." His mom was from the boil-them-until-they-fall-apart school of brussels spout cooking! He even told her how good mine were and, to her credit, she didn't hate me and now cooks them the same way I do!

I met my husband when I was 17 and I did not boil water, let alone cook, haha.

He took me to the fanciest steakhouse he could find for our first real date, I did not find my passion for cooking until I was 25, the first year we were married, so it was quite a happy surprise for my husband who loves food. And I really do not remember my first meal cooked...two years ago, i shoudl have a better memory but too many meals in between I guess :)

He actually loved to experiment more when we were younger, he made sushi as his first very big meal (but we invited friends for that)

First meal: Our second date at 'Cesca. I can't tell you what we ate, but I do remember the drunken girl at the table next to ours. Before she left, she slurred..."I just have to tell you--you are the cutest couple EVER."

Well, after that, we just had to get married right?

I don't remember what the first meal I made him was--probably some sort of stir fry. The first special meal was foie gras with a port reduction. The house smelled of smoke for a week (maybe longer)--my kitchen didn't have a very strong hood.

His first meal for me--his specialty: Grilled cheese. Made on Wonder bread with Kraft White American Cheese and a lot of butter. It's pretty darn good!

I was cooking pad thai for us when the phone rang; I had to run to the living room to answer. It was my neighbor asking me out on a date. When I returned to the kitchen I realized he had just continued on with the cooking without batting an eyelash. I was so impressed. His actions spoke volumes about the kind of man he was.

Needless to say I never went out with the neighbor guy. :biggrin:

Our first meal together, I remember it like it was yesterday. May 19, 1997 our first 'date' was a three hour afternoon drive all along the shore, talking and talking and talking. We stopped for Burger King, for some reason, and I had the Italian Chicken sandwich, onion rings, and a Coke- no ice. He had a Whopper meal.

The first meal I cooked, was when I moved in with him, 10 days later. I fixed grilled steak on a stick, yellow rice, and a simple tomato-cucumber salad from fixins I pilfered out of my mom's garden. I was 19 years old, when we met.

Mmm. It was roast chicken. :rolleyes:

I undertook a quiet approach to the crackling-glazed large bird, so lovingly roasted. The candle flickered and glowed. Warmly basted, softly brushed all over with smooth melting careful rich buttery caresses, brushed with long full licks of the brush, with little barely touching kisses of its mane. A barely audible noise, a rich fragrance of the earth, gently diffused the muted atmosphere of the amiable, dusk filled country kitchen. I made close, and with a touch of my longing hand upon that so-succulent and emboldened leg, it suddenly, joyously, released spinning droplets of hot flavrous juices at me. Airbound they flew, bursting, spurting, upwards towards the sky in delicious glorious escape. Then, dripping drizzling oozing with a glistening fullness the sweet juices puddled, lovingly hot and torpid, onto the heated vessel laying in wait for them to gather, en masse.

Dinnertime, dear! I called out. And we feasted well and fully.

1991 in Halifax, I gave her afternoon squash lessons (as in the racket sport popular in colonies of England, like indoor tennis) and offered to make dinner afterwards. I had stashed a 1.5 L white wine, celery and 2 lbs of mussels in my scary student fridge. It all worked out very well.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack