• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amherst and Burlington Recommendations

sgschef

We are doing the college tours next week at U Mass and University of Vermont. Can you give us some recommendations for interesting dining and a place to stay? It will only be for a few nights. Thank you.

Here are some Burlington recs:

To stay, Lang House, a bed and breakfast on Main Street very close to the UVM campus.

To eat, I like Trattoria Delia, Daily Planet, and Smokejacks.

And I teach at UVM, if there's anything you need to know... Happy visits.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

• 3 weeks later...

Bub's BBQ is near UMASS.

Northampton is chockfull of great place to eat. Two of my favorites are Lhasa Cafe & Osaka.

I'm not sure about place to stay. There are lots of chain motels between Amherst & Northampton.

I live in Burlington as well. For breakfast I love Mirabelles and Penny Cluse. Mirabelles has cooked breakfasts and wonderful croissants. I have a friend from france and she gets a pain au chocolate from there when she misses home.

If you want to drive to the next town Tiny Thai is really good. I also love Smokjacks and Trattoria Delia. I have not been to the Daily Planet in a while. The Single Pebble is also excellent. If you have the cookbook, "All About Braising" by Molly Stevens the red pine chicken recipe is from there.

Robin

Hi neighbor!

Next town for Tiny Thai = Winooski. Berkeley to Burlington's San Francisco.

I completely agree on Mirabelle's and Penny Cluse.

Margo Thompson

Allentown, PA

You're my little potato, you're my little potato,

You're my little potato, they dug you up!

You come from underground!

-Malcolm Dalglish

I'd stay in Northampton or in between Northampton and Amherst. The Lord Jeff Inn is a ripoff. Hotel Northampton is nice, charming etc., but I think costs too much for what it is. That's why my family always stayed at the Econo Lodge on Route 9. If you want nicer, see if the Autumn Inn in Northampton is available. Here's a list of area hotels:

http://www.hampshire.edu/cms/index.php?id=9752

I hesitate to give you dining recs because I'm not sure what's still around. But Northampton is full of good dining spots and shops to poke in.

This is where I took my family for my graduation dinner: www.siennarestaurant.com/ It was lovely.

And this was always a favorite special spot: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revi...sachusetts.html

But it's been 7 years since I was really around the area much, so take my recs with a grain of salt.

The Kitchn

Nina Callaway