• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Healthier tomatoes grown in seawater mix

Toliver

From MSNBC:

"Healthier tomatoes grown in seawater"

The article title is misleading. The tomatoes are grown in a 10-to-1 ratio of fresh water to seawater mixture.

The researchers investigated tomatoes, which are grown worldwide and are moderately salinity tolerant. They grew various types of tomatoes, including those commonly used for salads, under different levels of salinity and investigated the fruit for nutrients.

The researchers found that growing tomatoes in 10 percent seawater improved antioxidant levels significantly,

I am curious as to whether it is soley the salt that's making the difference or if there's also something else in the seawater that's boosting the antioxidant output.

I wonder if the home gardner could duplicate these efforts, especially those who live near the ocean. The question is, how would the home gardner know if they were successful other than sending the fruit off to a lab?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The problem would be growing other plants which aren't tolerant of salinity. That, and, the salt build up over time.

I think the only way you could get away with it would be hydroponics or some other sterile medium. Otherwise, not much of anything would likely grow in your garden next year.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I have heard something similar before... I think salt simply stressed the plant hence slowing the development of the fruit which in turn is more concentrated. At least this is what I remember... it might be a different issue here.

Micro nutrients-the same reason saltwater fish are so much stronger/taste so much better than most of their freshwater cousins.

Long ago in another century and had amazing results from heavily mulching my Tomatoes with seaweed straight from the beach.