• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dynamic salad dryer

robert brown

Why is "everyone" fed up with the salad spinner?

I'm quite fond of mine (and not a huge fan of using an electric gadget for something I can easily do with old-fashioned elbow grease).

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Maybe it's just me, but when I was young, I loved helping mom spin the salad to dry it.

And also, doesn't it just take a few good spins to get the moisture out of the leafs anyways?

I don't think the 30 seconds of exercise will kill any of us foodies.

I dig my ss. I've even found that if I leave the spun water in the spinner and put it into the fridge with whatever unsued salad in the basket, it keeps suprisingly long.

Bode

Shirley Corriher says she uses a clean pillowcase and whirls it around overhead, outside. I'm sure it amuses the neighbors. When it's too cold outside for me to do that, I use my salad spinner. Why waste electricity on something so simple?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

The rubber base on my Oxo spinner is so grippy, I can toss in the greens, give the handle two hard pumps, and walk away while it spins merrily dry.

Faster than paper towels, nearly as easy, and strangely satisfying...

I have the Zyliss spinner and I like it because after you spin the salad, you can dump out the water and remove the basket and make the salad in the bowl of the spinner. It's clear plastic and is definitely fine for a family dinner but I've been known to use it for a casual dinner with friends too.

I have the Zyliss spinner and I like it because after you spin the salad, you can dump out the water and remove the basket and make the salad in the bowl of the spinner.  It's clear plastic and is definitely fine for a family dinner but I've been known to use it for a casual dinner with friends too.

The OXO salad spinner (which I love) is the same way. The exterior bowl is a nice clear durable plastic, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver