• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

yeast rolls, how to get shiny top?

doughgirl

We met up with some friends and their families last night at Golden Corral (i know, i know....but it's the only place we could take our combined 8 small children and not feel bad about the ensuing ruckus) for dinner and it was my very first time to taste their wonderful yeast rolls (the only thing worth eating in the entire restaurant, in my opinion).

I've found a copycat recipe online for the rolls, but I was wondering how to get that beautiful shiny top on the rolls? Is it just melted butter? I've tried that before and the butter just sank into the tops of the rolls and they weren't shiny at all. Any ideas?

Thanks for the help!

It might be that have the wrong terminology here, is "eggwash" a whisked egg?

My experience is that using eggs will both brown the crust, and make it more shiny, Using only the white will give more shinyness.

I've also seen somene use gelatin/sugar to give buns an extremely shiny finish :-)

It might be that have the wrong terminology here, is "eggwash" a whisked egg?

My experience is that using eggs will both brown the crust, and make it more shiny, Using only the white will give more shinyness.

I've also seen somene use gelatin/sugar to give buns an extremely shiny finish :-)

I call an eggwash beating the eggs with some water then brushing the rolls with them in as mentioned the last few min of cooking ...yes if you want brown rolls use the whole egg if you want white rolls use the white only ..sorry I was in an hurry and did not clarify

maybe that is the wrong term I dont know?

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

thanks so much! I tried half of them with an egg/water and half with melted butter on top and the egg ones came out nice and shiny! Unfortunately, I have no pictures as the ravaging hordes attacked them soon after they came out of the oven.

Try brushing the tops with cream into which you have mixed a little sugar, less than a teaspoon per 1/4 cup cream.

The casein in the cream will produce a shiny crust.

I learned this when baking for someone who has an allergy to eggs!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Try brushing the tops with cream into which you have mixed a little sugar, less than a teaspoon per 1/4 cup cream.

Yup, I use this to brush on pie crusts as well before baking to get that nice shiny crust.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

oohh, that's a tip I have never heard before! I'll try that tomorrow when I bake some for breakfast! thanks!