• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coopers Microbrew Kit

I should have posted this at the beginning of summer rather than the end, but by the time I get my act together, I'm sure it will nearly be summer again... :wink:

Just wondering if anyone has had any attempts at knocking together a shedfull of home brew via the Coopers Microbrew Kits you can buy pretty much anywhere? I've always been tempted to take a stab at it, but generally, 3 things get in my way:

1) When I want a beer, I want it now, not 3 months from now (Have cleared this hurdle by reminding myself that I'll also want a beer 3 months from now)

2) My overriding suspicion that a kit full of powders and plastic bits are going to be deeply disappointing, esp. after waiting around for several weeks or months... shoulda just picked up a sixer in the bottleshop...

3) the effort and minutiae and fiddlyness of the process, even if it returns an average quality product, just won't stack up ... I whinge about having enough time to get everything done I currently want/need to, I don't need another hobby if the results are merely 'OK'...

Enlightenment, anyone? In terms of beermaking prowess, talent, skill and expertise, btw, I'm at whatever the stage is called right before "novice" or "beginner"... that is, Zero.

• 1 year later...

Having used the kits rather than relying on hearsay, they actually produce quite a nice beer.

You should be aware, however, that making beer is to alcohol production is like what baking is to other types of cooking. Everything has to measured, controlled, and precisely executed. In wine and spirit making you can blend to correct mistakes and imbalances: in beer making you need to get it right the first time.

It is fun and produces a good product but you need to be a bit of a perfectionist.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog