• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Smoking Gun - like a fan-powered bong for food

Alex

According to this report, Alinea's Grant Achatz "...asked inventor and collaborator Philip Preston, president of the manufacturing company PolyScience, to create a simple, portable method for making smoke to trap under glasses and serve to diners. The result was The Smoking Gun."

I'd be more interested in its touted use for blowing smoke into a ziploc-type bag to infuse food with smoky goodness. Has anyone tried this yet?

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I think Popiel once offered something like this? :hmmm:

I seem to recall you could also use it to impart a cedar odor to clothes closets and deodorize cat litter boxes. :wink:

It's no longer offered, so apparently suplies really were limited! :huh:

SB (should have called "within the next hour" .... :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I made one last year using a battery powered min-vac ($10 on ebay) and a trip down memory lane to a head shop for the pipe fittings.

I use it (for cooking) and have played not only with "woods" but also herbs and esstential oils.

Nice way to make a smoked cheese.

I made one last year using a battery powered min-vac ($10 on ebay) and a trip down memory lane to a head shop for the pipe fittings.

I use it (for cooking) and have played not only with "woods" but also herbs and esstential oils.

Is this something like what you did?

Exactly :biggrin:

I'd be more interested in its touted use for blowing smoke into a ziploc-type bag to infuse food with smoky goodness. Has anyone tried this yet?

Exactly :biggrin:

rmillman - now having a fair idea of what you did to make the device...

could you tell us - please :smile: - a bit more about what you made using it ? And a maybe a little about how you successfully used the thing... ? Please? :smile:

And consider it understood that it was only suitable for small quantity use.

I'm wondering not so much about single portions of cheese under glass, (or smoke foams), but rather about its possible use for (cold smoking) domestic quantities of ham, bacon, fish...

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I have used this as a finish in presenting dishes (under glass/inverted bowl) where I wanted smoke aroma and less smoke flavor. This is particularly suited for using culinary herbs which add both a smoke and essential oil vapor to the preparation.

I have used it to add more substaintial smoke flavor to things such as bacon, tomatoes and confit dishes by placing what I want to smoke in a large zip-lock and then filling it with smoke. (BTW i stopped smoking bacon once I found https://bentonshams.com/order/index.php)

I use a cameron smoker for stove top use or a Bradley smoker when I want more substaintial smoke in preparing dishes or when I am smoking roasts, chickens, etc.

Edited by rmillman (log)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

We've had ours in the kitchen for about 2 weeks now. It has been used for probably less than two dozen plates. The bowl has burned away to nothing (why would you use a wooden bowl in the first place?) and the inside of the metal parts is clogged, but because they glued them together you can't go in and clean it out. Seems pretty cheap for being $50.....

• 2 months later...

I just received my smoking gun. The pieces seem to come apart, so hopefully I won't have any clogging problems. Also, by happy coincidence, I have an identical wooden bowl that came with another smoking device I bought way back in college.

My first project is to try to recreate the smoky but raw oysters I had at minibar -- any advice is welcome.

Try a home made gravity bong (or a nicer manufactured glass one). 

It gives you better control over the smoke and the amount you add to a dish.

How would you use a grav for this? Put the plastic bag over the hole that you would normally inhale and push the vessel back down into the water to blow it out through the top?

• 7 months later...
Not sure if anyone noticed - Polyscience no longer seems to sell 'the smoking gun'... the thing only lasts so long because you can't change the inside filters, only the ones in the bowl, and eventually it just stops producing smoke.

Do you know the material they use in the filter ? Because i want to build a smoke gun for me, since here in Brazil they don´t sell this kind of product... ??

Rio de Janeiro,Brasil.

At he Starchefs ICC this past September, Polyscience had a new version of this that was not yet out on the market at the time. I will have to check if they have released it yet. It looked to be a great toy, even better than the original.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 6 years later...
On 3/26/2007 at 9:57 PM, Alex said:

According to this report, Alinea's Grant Achatz "...asked inventor and collaborator Philip Preston, president of the manufacturing company PolyScience, to create a simple, portable method for making smoke to trap under glasses and serve to diners. The result was The Smoking Gun."

1 hour ago, ChrisM said:

Great post my friend 

I purchased a smoking gun last year. I've run out of wood and I'm looking to source a supply. Who do you buy your wood from?

Many Thanks

Chris 

Just search for "smoking sawdust" on Amazon and several products will show up, this is the one I use with my smoking gun.

Hello All

Chris as an FYI I found the manufacturer of the chips the actually came with my Smoking Gun

Smokinlicious.com 

I placed a call this morning and found an professional staff ready to assist. These guys will ship anywhere including Canada. I ordered Hickoru to do Bloody Mary cocktails and also some Sugar Maple. These guys boast an all natural chef quality cooking wood. A+ for knowledge and service thus far. That being said a can't attest to the quality of the smoke yet.

I will provide my test results if you like.

Very excited here like a kid at Christmas 

ChrisM

In the Food Funnies forum, liuzhou just posted about the weekly "Inspect a gadget" series in The Guardian, by Rhik Samadder. And lo and behold, the September 30 article was about the Polyscience Smoking Gun. He loved it.

Scallops served in a smoke-filled cloche are particularly Instagram-friendly, a trio of sexy molluscs emerging from dry ice like Destiny’s Child at the MTV awards. A hose attachment is included, so you can direct a fine stream of smoke under a bedroom door to freak out a loved one.

• Like 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

10 hours ago, Alex said:

In the Food Funnies forum, liuzhou just posted about the weekly "Inspect a gadget" series in The Guardian, by Rhik Samadder. And lo and behold, the September 30 article was about the Polyscience Smoking Gun. He loved it.

Edited by Kerry Beal
wrong thread (log)