• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta Road Food

jrichman

IMHO, in that area, Bobby and June's (10th ave?) is a better roadfood spot than the Varsity.

Having said that, the Varsity certainly is fun and legend, and I always try to get a frosted orange (or whatever it's called) when I'm in town.

Not road food, but for me the Highland Tap's burger is tough to beat. Vortex is for me a very close second (after many many head-to-head tastings :wink: ), and it may all come down to atmosphere: the Highland Tap is unparalleled for a hangover burger.

But I digress. For "road food" I might try to hit Fat Matt's, Spiced Right, or Harold's for three very different BBQ experiences. Fat Matt's is a good hang with decent 'cue, Spiced Right is great BBQ, and Harold's has been in slow decline for years, but the Brunswick stew is still good, get that. If you find yourself near East Cobb, Williamson Bros. BBQ is worth a stop as well.

If you're going to be anywhere near Athens, you must stop at Jamaican Foods, best jerk pork + cabbage I've ever had, period.

Get a HOT Krispy Kreme and if you really ain't had enough Southern yet, stop in at an Old Hickory House for breakfast, just like I used to do every Monday morning. :raz:

+++

Highland Tap

1026 N Highland Ave

Atlanta, GA 30306

Vortex Bar & Grill

438 Moreland Ave NE,

Atlanta

Fat Matt's

1811 Piedmont Ave NE

Atlanta, GA 30324

Harold's Barbecue

171 Mcdonough Blvd SE

Atlanta, GA 30315-2338

Spiced Right

5364 Lawrenceville Hwy NW

Lilburn, GA 30047

Williamson Bros. Bar-B-Q

1425 Roswell Road

Marietta, GA 30062

Jamaican Foods

2017 South Milledge Avenue

Athens, GA 30605

+++

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

But they're all good questions....

I haven't been to the Tap for a burger in 5 years, but I hear that it hasn't changed much. The burger.

I do have a hard time saying outright that the Tap's is better than the Vortex, but I think it could be. Go see.

mem

So I went to Highland Tap last night. First time. Definitely a throwback menu and atmosphere. I liked the burger - big and juicy. At the end of the day, though, Vortex still has my nod for best burger in Atlanta. For starters, it's around 40% cheaper. Second, there is a variety of burgers you can choose from at Vortex, rather than just the one at Highland Tap. I still have yet to try this famous Ghetto Burger that has gotten national acclaim recently.

For great local food, he definitely called it: The Vortex, Highland Tap, Fat Matt's, all of those are greats and definitely some of my favorites--if you go to "The Tap" (as hubby and I call it), say hi to Mary, Markie and Scottie at the bar-best Martinis in the city!

Other greats are American Roadhouse on North Highland, La Tavola Trattoria on Virginia (two doors down from Tap), Fontaine's (next door), and say hi to Elizabeth at Taco Mac across the street---(can you tell I live in the Highlands??)

Great food in this city--Quattro on the Park on Piedmont has great paninis and homemade gelato-nice way to enjoy a post-meal stroll through the park.

"have a sense of humor about things...you'll need it" A. Bourdain

For southern roadfood, you must try Collonade on Cheshire Bridge Road or Mary Mac's on Ponce de Leon. The diversity in customers is better at Collonade. Collonade's fried chicken and yeast rolls are what they do best. Excellent southern roadfood is also available at Chip's Southern Cooking on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs.

If you get to the north metro area for BBQ, I would suggest that Sam & Dave's (2 locations - Lower Roswell Road near Parkaire Mall and Whitlock Avenue west of the Marietta Square) or Swallow at the Hollow on Green Street in Roswell.

I second that Swallow at the Hollow recommendation, their sides are unusually good, and it's a nice bar to sit at while you get your grub on.

However....recommending the Colonnade for its food is like recommending the Clermont Lounge for the strippers, isn't it? Although the chicken is fine. At the Colonnade I mean.

This is not to say that I don't love both of these establishments. I'm just saying, in my experience the appeal has a bit more to do with the atmosphere than the items on the menu.

mem

I'd add Atkins Park to the list of good burgers. I think their menu is very under-rated and I've never had a bad meal there.

And BTW, I think Fatt Matt's is going in the wrong direction. Last couple times I've ate there I was disappointed. Just wasn't as good.

Edited by atlantadan (log)

I had to read this thread out of curiosity. I left Atlanta 15 years ago, and many of my favorite spots are still around. The Collonade, Atkins Park (did they change hands?), Mary Macs, Harolds, Highland Tap...is Woody's still around? I seem to recall they make a mean cheese steak. I also used to love Dusty's BBQ - but mostly I loved their Brunswick Stew. I used to sling pizzas at Jaggers, but I heard Bill sold out - too bad, b/c they made a very unique pizza crust that I adored.

I have lived within a two mile drive or so fo Dusty's, but I've never been. No one I have ever been around has ever suggested it either. Considering how many hundred times I must have driven past it, I think that's a bad sign.

Jaggers became Park Bench in 1999 or so. Park Bench became an empty building in 2004 or so. It's a shame that location can't keep a bar in business. That dump Maggie's stays in business but not a bar in the Village? Terrible. Pretty much everything in the village is marked for death. That spot at the bottom of the hill closest to Lullwater has seen tremendous turnover since I've been around. Successful franchies like Planet Smoothie and Jake's couldn't even survive there.

Edited by Voodoo (log)

Well, it's been more than 15 years since I've eaten at Dusty's, so a decline is perhaps expected! And as a native Texan new to Atlanta, my taste in pork barbecue was not to be trusted!

Bill Jagger had a goldmine when I was working there - back in the mid-80's. I too am surprised nothing can survive in that strip given the proximity to Emory. Where do the kids go out for food? Didn't there used to be a place called Lullwaters or something like that too?

• 1 month later...