• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

No Impact Man

annecros

If I were her, I would draw the line in a couple of places here, probably the indoor composting:

Click for Times story "Walden Pond"

DINNER was the usual affair on Thursday night in Apartment 9F in an elegant prewar on Lower Fifth Avenue. There was shredded cabbage with fruit-scrap vinegar; mashed parsnips and yellow carrots with local butter and fresh thyme; a terrific frittata; then homemade yogurt with honey and thyme tea, eaten under the greenish flickering light cast by two beeswax candles and a fluorescent bulb.

A sour odor hovered oh-so-slightly in the air, the faint tang, not wholly unpleasant, that is the mark of the home composter. Isabella Beavan, age 2, staggered around the neo-Modern furniture — the Eames chairs, the brown velvet couch, the Lucite lamps and the steel cafe table upon which dinner was set — her silhouette greatly amplified by her organic cotton diapers in their enormous boiled-wool, snap-front cover.

I do wish them all the luck, and look forward to following along.

That just seems so self serving, and really gimmicky. If they truly mean to be no impact, they should move off the grid, entirely. I DO think that this faux caring about the planet is a big trend, though. And, I believe that a lot of these folks really think that they are making a wonderful difference in things. But, mainly, it helps them to maintain their sense of superiority and coolness. Witness the fiberglass 'Eames' chairs! Yeah, that's healthy. Chloe boots, um, not so non impact, dear, even if you did pay for them with Mama's Bingo bucks.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

That just seems so self serving, and really gimmicky. If they truly mean to be no impact, they should move off the grid, entirely. I DO think that this faux caring about the planet is a big trend, though. And, I believe that a lot of these folks really think that they are making a wonderful difference in things. But, mainly, it helps them to maintain their sense of superiority and coolness. Witness the fiberglass 'Eames' chairs! Yeah, that's healthy. Chloe boots, um, not so non impact, dear, even if you did pay for them with Mama's Bingo bucks.

Yeah, they've left themselves some loopholes you can drive a mack truck through. I got a snigger when I read his blog, and he stated (I'm paraphrasing) that we "can't leave saving the world up to the country bumpkins."

That's what makes it so interesting to me, in that he doesn't have a clue what it means to live the lifestyle he is documenting for his book and a movie (that will kill a million trees and be shown in air conditioned theatres, respectively). The learning curve that 60 year old hippie is going to put him through in that communal plot is going to hurt.

There is an old saying, "Don't step over a dime to pick up a penny." That comes to mind.

But I really do wish them all the luck.

My feeling when I read the article that this couple seemed to be

moving from one extreme to another.

Before change: all-consumption lifestyle carried to ridiculous

extremes: never cooked/turned on stove/kid knows the takeout

man almost like a family member etc.

After change: as extreme, in the opposite direction....

What about all the people who live more moderately every day?

Milagai

That is just precious. What is with the glut of slightly angsty ("something is missing in my life and I must seek to fix it"), socially concious (ie must reveal a dark aspect of typical American characteristic or lifestyle), introspective, self serving books (and I guess now movies)? I just finished reading Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping, and this sounds like more of the same. How many more facets of our society are left to be challenged by self-important hipsters like this who want to make a buck off of doing without something?

So much of the rules they've set seem awfully arbitrary, and in some cases absurd. Why 250 miles, and not 100 miles? Surely half a day's drive is better than a full day's drive. Why not grow their own food and barter for the rest of what they need? They're already composting. Why a mason jar for lunch, instead of a reusable container that makes sense, like a bento box? I understand that it was an assignment, designed for the end result to make us reflect on how trapped we all are by modern conveniences, but I suspect it's going to ring so hollow that profoundness will be lost. I also suspect that once the alloted time period is over, Ms. Conlin will be making a beeline to the nearest department store.

I think I might be a little jaded. The dinner desribed at the beginning of the article sounds pretty good, although I prefer my frittata filling to be something other than a social message.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Twilight Zone time. :biggrin:

DINNER was the usual affair on Thursday night in Apartment 9F in an elegant prewar on Lower Fifth Avenue.

Walden Pond and those elegant prewar apartments on Lower Fifth are in alternate universes from each other.

:laugh:

(But I admit I always find it amusing when the wealthy force themselves to stumble and bumble and

struggle for no really good purpose except one they make up, for the purposes of getting book deals. :raz: )

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

When I read an article like this, I always wonder if it's meant to discourage people from taking any action in their life that might decrease the amount of trash they generate, use a bit less power, try to encourage local food producers, etc. "If you're not going to be extreme . . . " then there's no point. The tone of the article puts me off.

Contrast that behavior to that of a friend of my mother's--whom I mention because she lives in Manhattan too. She organized newspaper recycling for her entire building (now a co-op) years before it became law in NYC. She's a member of a CSA, she resuses her plastic bags, I suspect she rarely uses her window AC (although she might do better to buy newer more energy efficient ones then to stop using them altogether--but it's her choice). If she has a TV, she doesn't use it, although that's because her eyes are so bad now she probably can't see anything on it, she does listen to the radio and talking books/newspapers . I'm sure she used the subway when she was physically able to do so; she has a working refrigerator and stove. She's in her 80's.

I've looked at the locavore site and it doesn't read as, I don't know, simultaneously snotty and condescending, as this article does. I think the locavore site deals only with buying food locally, not doing all the other "low impact" stuff anyway. Nothing wrong with trying to use local foods--I think the locavore thing started in northern CA--where the growing season's so long (and apparently such a big variety of produce is grown) eating locally is not much of a hardship. Might be a bit more difficult (or get a bit boring) if you're in MI or somewhere w/a long winter. Unless "the rules" let you can and/or use a freezer.

I notice the article didn't mention whether or not they still ate bread. I don't think there's any wheat grown within 250 miles of NYC. Wonder what they're using as a substitute if they're taking things that far. Perhaps they can eat only locally baked bread.

It can be useful to find out how much in the way of extraneous stuff you can get by without, though.

azurite

The article says they don't use toilet paper either. I wonder how they're dealing with that -- just spend extra time washing their hands afterwards, like in some parts of some middle-eastern countries? :shock:

PS - love the responses here! These enviros make no sense to me either.

Edited by johnsmith45678 (log)

In all fairness, on his blog he does sound a bit less pretentious and self serving, but not by much.

Click here for link to blog

What will the future stages be? Who knows? I am no eco-expert. I am just a liberal schlub who got sick of not putting my money where my mouth was. In a way, the whole project is a protest against my highly-principled, lowly-actioned former self. I’m fumbling through, trying to do my best and doing the research as I go along. This blog is my attempt to tell you how it’s going.

The compost still kills me. Don't get me wrong, I have a compost pile (OUTSIDE in the FAR corner of the lot), use it, and think it is a great way to handle garbage and get great fertilizer for the garden to boot. However, he's on the 9th floor, he is composting human waste as well as organic waste, and eventually will have to get the compost out of the apartment. He's sworn off the elevator, public transportation and any other carbon fuel based transport.

Hubby and I laughed out loud with a picture of this sucker bundling up (probably slightly "green" because I am not sure the worms he is using are going to be able to keep up with the organic load three people will put on the composter) compost into a bed sheet, plopping it into a wheelbarrow, bouncing the wheelbarrow down several flights of stairs, then pushing the wheelbarrow full of compost down 5th freaking avenue and off to the communal garden.

Otherwise, he would just be throwing it in the garbage, right?

Too funny, but I will be watching. I probably won't be buying the book, though.

Edit to MAKE IT PERFECTLY CLEAR: My compost pile does not contain human waste of the fecal nature. I wouldn't eat my own tomatoes, if that were the case.

Edited by annecros (log)

When I read an article like this, I always wonder if it's meant to discourage people from taking any action in their life that might decrease the amount of trash they generate, use a bit less power, try to encourage local food producers, etc.  "If you're not going to be extreme . . . " then there's no point.  The tone of the article puts me off.   

Contrast that behavior to that of a friend of my mother's--whom I mention because she lives in Manhattan too.  She organized newspaper recycling for her entire building (now a co-op) years before it became law in NYC.  She's a member of a CSA, she resuses her plastic bags, I suspect she rarely uses her window AC (although she might do better to buy newer more energy efficient ones then to stop using them altogether--but it's her choice).  If she has a TV, she doesn't use it, although that's because her eyes are so bad now she probably can't see anything on it, she does listen to the radio and talking books/newspapers .  I'm sure she used the subway when she was physically able to do so; she has a working refrigerator and stove.  She's in her 80's. 

I've looked at the locavore site and it doesn't read as, I don't know, simultaneously snotty and condescending, as this article does.  I think the locavore site deals only with buying food locally, not doing all the other "low impact" stuff anyway.  Nothing wrong with trying to use local foods--I think the locavore thing started in northern CA--where the growing season's so long (and apparently such a big variety of produce is grown) eating locally is not much of a hardship.  Might be a bit more difficult (or get a bit boring) if you're in MI or somewhere w/a long winter.  Unless "the rules" let you can and/or use a freezer. 

I notice the article didn't mention whether or not they still ate bread.  I don't think there's any wheat grown within 250 miles of NYC.  Wonder what they're using as a substitute if they're taking things that far.  Perhaps they can eat only locally baked bread.

It can be useful to find out how much in the way of extraneous stuff you can get by without, though.

azurite

I thought they said he was baking the bread with a sourdough starter. We'll see if he manages to keep that alive.

Anyway, I sort of anticipate a food crisis, as well as a possible sanitary crisis in the making. He's given up toothpaste for baking soda - I wonder what they are doing for cleaning products in the household with a 2 year old?

Will they be cooking their own soap? It isn't hard, but requires the use of lye which has to be packaged carefully and handled even more carefully. It also requires the use of fat of some sort. I know they no longer purchase olive oil so a castille sort of soap is out of the question.

The locality and seasonality of food stuffs is going to drastically change thier diets, and are they vegan? That rules out animal fats for the soap if they are, but I think they may be able to use a dairy fat. They are still eating dairy and will have to work hard to stay nutrionally balanced if they aren't careful.

I get the feeling he's on the radar now, and there will be plenty of people keeping him honest. I'm just going to pop some corn, kick back, and watch.

Kudo's to your Mom's friend.

Edited by annecros (log)

They still have a maid! They let her use the vacuum...So does she deal with the compost?!

I read this article and probably went through, over the course of the day, every reaction that everyone here has already posted.

Having lived in Manhattan, I know how difficult it must be to try to sustain a small footprint. Ultimately, I think it would be amazing if everyone in the city (or everywhere for that matter) would try to just minimize their solid waste (garbage, not toilet) when possible. If you've ever walked down the street on garbage day (which is every day on one street or another) and seen the piles of black garbage bags on the sidewalk...early in the morning the rats scurrying around them and in the summer the flies and stench are tremendous, you'd definitely understand. And WHERE DOES IT ALL GO? It is nothing like the more sterile suburban lifestyle (here in California anyway) of the two garbage cans...one for regular garbage and one for recycling...lining the streets...where residents don't even give it a second thought.

I think almost any attempt at putting this type of activity in writing, be it a blog or a book deal or a newspaper article, is a bit self serving. But, it does get other people thinking. So, even if you don't pack your lunch in a mason jar, if you decide to cut back on aluminum foil or plastic wrap or single use ziploc bags, then you're still moving in the right direction.

I reiterate...THEY STILL HAVE A MAID...and those Chloe boots?! Only in New York, I tell ya'!

They still have a maid!  They let her use the vacuum...So does she deal with the compost?!

I think almost any attempt at putting this type of activity in writing, be it a blog or a book deal or a newspaper article, is a bit self serving.  But, it does get other people thinking.  So, even if you don't pack your lunch in a mason jar, if you decide to cut back on aluminum foil or plastic wrap or single use ziploc bags, then you're still moving in the right direction.

I reiterate...THEY STILL HAVE A MAID...and those Chloe boots?!  Only in New York, I tell ya'!

I totally agree one both counts. How can this person expect to be taken seriously when he has a maid, ok housekeeper.

But more importantly, this is a symbolic act, more performance art or political protest than a reasonable lifestyle choice. As such it's purpose is to garner attention and spur dialogue. He's achieving both of those things.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

i

I thought they said he was baking the bread with a sourdough starter. We'll see if he manages to keep that alive.

Anyway, I sort of anticipate a food crisis, as well as a possible sanitary crisis in the making. He's given up toothpaste for baking soda - I wonder what they are doing for cleaning products in the household with a 2 year old?

Will they be cooking their own soap? It isn't hard, but requires the use of lye which has to be packaged carefully and handled even more carefully. It also requires the use of fat of some sort. I know they no longer purchase olive oil so a castille sort of soap is out of the question.

Even if they're making their own starter, they'll still need flour, i.e., wheat, either to feed the starter or to add when making a loaf, won't they?

Re: cooking your own soap. A friend lived pretty much off the grid in the '70's in a rural part of nothern CA. Her mod cons consisted of a propane fueled refrigerator (plus they had an automobile and a tractor). She used to make her own soap. She told me that one day, she'd set out a large pan of new butterscotch colored soap, I guess so it could cool. She went off about other business and a friend drops by, sees what looks to him like a delectable looking pan of butterscotch left out to cool, takes a piece, takes a nice big bite . . . and discovers it's most definitely not butterscotch.

I don't remember now if she told me the ingredients of her soap. She's always eaten meat if she wanted to, so the issue of using animal fats for soap would not have arisen and you can get lye from wood ashes.

azurite

But more importantly, this is a symbolic act, more performance art or political protest than a reasonable lifestyle choice.  As such it's purpose is to garner attention and spur dialogue.  He's achieving both of those things.

Performance art. When I read this, it lodged there for a bit, as it sort of made sense. But something was bothering me about it. Something just didn't fit. And then that bothered me, for one does want to believe in people doing good things for good reasons.

This morning it came to me in a flash. Why I couldn't wrap my mind around it as performance art.

The reason is that it's not. The right pieces aren't there, somehow. What it is, is a sit-com. Perfect. Every single piece needed is in place. Could be a winner, too. :smile:

all I can think of when I read this was "whatever"

my kids are relentless as adults when teasing me for all the earth muffin attempts I made to live more "off the grid" when they were growing up...

the push lawnmower ....the long grass

the cheese made in the kitchen sink ...the cheese that ended up in the trash

the free fruit that was accidently picked from a highly contaminated area on the Puget Sound (my kids I am sure have more than their share of heavy metal poisoning as a result)

the no tv period (more time for kids to fight period)

the walking everywhere period (also known as our we were late everywhere period)

the vegatarian period (my husband and kids would go sneak hamburgers)

the breastfeeding to a cup period ..(the breastfeeding until they bit period)

we recycled, reused, and all this took so much work and so much time that ..it was amost silly how much it impacted our lives in a not so great manner...

the things that were worth it stuck and the things that were not worth it didn't ..

I learned a lot....did not do it to make a film or book ...they have lots of funny stories of their childhood....but this was about what I thought would be better for us and our environment ..somethings were better however

I drive a car

I watch tv

I eat meat

I curbside recycle

I still make fresh foods buy locally as much as possible and grow as much as I can realistically I am not a farmer...

so ....I say "whatever" to this guy and his little family ...he should be happy his little kid is not old enough to torment him with tales of how it was when he was growing up!!!!!

kids remember all the wrong stuff!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet