• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Pork Scratchings

But where?

I have a wee wine bar in Padstow. In addition to Basildog's bread and nuts and the best crisps, I'd like to offer pork scratchings. I love them. But the best I have found are poorly presented. Does anyone sell smart pork scratchings - perhaps from funky or organic pigs?

I think we should be told.

In fact I'd like to sell Jamon, but space and practicality forbid. Shame.

Ta everyone. x

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Just to add.....if anyone wants me to send bags of the best scratchings, they're from a shop down here somewhere - no mail order, but am happyto jiffy bag them. PM me. :smile:

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

OK, I give up guessing, but would love to learn. I am guessing that since it is pork (assuming they are made out of pork, unlike "chicken fingers" or "Buffalo wings") it is something I am familiar with, just using a different term.

What the heck are pork scratchings?

Wild guess would be that they are rinds or chicarrones. But that is just a wild guess.

Edited by annecros (log)

OK, I give up guessing, but would love to learn. I am guessing that since it is pork (assuming they are made out of pork, unlike "chicken fingers" or "Buffalo wings") it is something I am familiar with, just using a different term.

What the heck are pork scratchings?

Wild guess would be that they are rinds or chicarrones. But that is just a wild guess.

I know what pork scratching are but what the hell are chicarrones? :biggrin:

Thanks for the pointer, p.

I wonder whether Rick's Pork Scratchings :laugh: would go down well here in Padstow, but I'd better order some anyway.

The hunt continues.....

edited to remove pesky ebay link type thing.

Edited by slacker (log)

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

• 3 weeks later...

A client of mine sells them in kilner jars, fill a load up, serve your client then run them through the glass washer.

the client in question seems to have created a bit of a stir as almost every second bit of press he gets is about his scratchings!

http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?m=Press...006&cat=3&id=86

http://www.canteen.co.uk/index.php?m=Press...07&cat=3&id=136

Or go old-school and fill up a massive glass jar and serve them by the scoop? then into little bowls. I'd be impressed by either.

either way I'm sure your local supplier would be happy to do away with the crummy little bags and sort you out a sack.

Edited by le petit boucher (log)

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen

• 2 weeks later...

Well now! 12kg Pork Scratchings have just arrived! Thanks to le petit boucher and his family firm at Ockham Farm in East Sussex.

They are perfect. Really piggy, and nicely not too salty.

We will now watch our staff grow and grow.

Thanks, eG!

:)

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Thanks Eg indeed, and thank you slacker. Glad they arrived safe. We split a bag to take some samples out (for yourself and one or two others) and it lasted about 3 days!

Now all the doorways have scuff marks around hip/waist level.

www.naturalfarms.co.uk ~ our wholesale butchery

www.sussexfarms.blogspot.com ~ our pie kitchen