• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Undercounter beverage centers

Zeb A

We are looking to buy an undercounter beverage center (ie, fridge not just for wine, but also beer, soda, etc). Research reveals attractive models from Viking, U-Line, Marvel, GE Monogram, Kitchen Aid, etc. We have found a U-Line that is configured in a way that suits our needs. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with these sorts of undercounter mini-fridges--esp a U-Line?

Thanks

I have a GE Monagram beverage centre that I really like. We also have the GE wine centre as well. Before that we had a Marvel one. I like the GE better as it holds more, maintains temp better and is more attractive. I've not heard of U-line though.

Edited to add, I googled U-line. I prefer the wine racks on the bottom as the GE has and that push button digital control in the middle of the bottom would irriate me to no end. :smile:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

We've got a Marvel (pictured here) in our basement bar that we've been reasonably happy with. I like the glass shelves, although when the fridge is full of beverages, the interior light is useless as it is entirely blocked by the cans. But the middle shelves are exactly the right height for soda/beer cans, the lower wine racks hold a decent number of bottles, and the top shelf will hold at least a 12-pack of bottles (or tall cans, such as Guiness or Bodingtons). Also, the flip-up shelf on the top allows you to store open bottles of wine if you need it.

Temperature control seems good, but since we're mostly storing beer and soda (we're not big white wine drinkers), I have to admit that we haven't made a careful study. But nothing's ever frozen, even in the back, so that's one sign...

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.