• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hamburgers

jaybee

Is "mush steak" part of the Yinglish lexicon? I can't find a single instance of it on Google.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Fat Guy - Well having grown up in the kosher food industry I know how corrupt it can be. Go try and manufacture something for the kosher market and see how much it costs you to put a rabbinical supervision label on your item. The nonsensical rules and regulations that they have installed in this country to get things ceritified kosher are akin to having to pay off the mafia. And it makes items expensive, and the additional expense lowers quality significantly. Back in the good old days when people ate things like stuffed derma, my father had a friend who was an expert stuffed derma maker. So good that they decided they wanted to sell it commercially. So my father and he explored with the Long Island Council of Rabbis what it would entail to get a certification for the derma. When they added up all the costs, the cost of derma per pound was more than beef! And derma is really nothing more than ground vegetables.

So you don't have to build any bridges for me. I was a yeshiva boy until the 6th grade and I attended an orthodox temple when I grew up. I have spent all of my teenage and adult life making sure I leave that isolated, prejudiced against all others who are not Jews, treat women as inferior way of life behind me. Do me a favor and build a bridge for someone else. I'm going to have a ham sandwich for lunch.

Dear Mary,

Your son is bothering the Rabbis again.

But I guess that's cross we all have to bear.

Yours,

Council of Pharisees

CC: P. Pilate

King Herod

Dave--welcome. I have to admit I chuckled just a bit with "this is the last discussion board I would have expected to find socio-political discussions." I hope eGullet continues to surpass your expectations.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com