• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butterflies perched on top of a cake

beacheschef

A photo of the finished butterflies.

I made them with pastillage rolled very thin and cut with a cookie cutter. The wings were dried over cotton balls to curl. I used luster dust mixed with a drop or two of water to paint them, then glued them together with royal icing. They were also glued to wires, so they would appear to "float" above the cupcakes.

I have to admit, the "wow factor" was certainly achieved!

gallery_12089_4443_259025.jpg

gallery_12089_4443_1240250.jpg

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

Well done - they're gorgeous.  Did they hold up well?

Thank you.

Yes - the butterflies have held up well.

However, I didn't load the cupcakes into the boxes and place the butterflies on top until the morning of delivery. I didn't want the butterflies in the refrigerator.

I will follow up with one of the recipients to see how they held up a few days later.

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog

Well done - they're gorgeous.  Did they hold up well?

Thank you.

Yes - the butterflies have held up well.

However, I didn't load the cupcakes into the boxes and place the butterflies on top until the morning of delivery. I didn't want the butterflies in the refrigerator.

I will follow up with one of the recipients to see how they held up a few days later.

I just spoke to a woman who was given one of these gifts - she placed her box in the refrigerator overnight with the butterflies on the cupcakes. The butterflies were fine, still firm and not absorbing moisture yet.

Beaches Pastry

Beaches Pastry Blog