• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help with Vegetarian menu please!

Xenochef

I am new on this board, but I think it's a great resource and I hope some of you will take pity on me and help! I am the new "chef" at a Charter School in New Jersey (morristown) and the charter is that the menu will be vegetarian and as much Vegan as possible. Not only do I have the problem of cooking vegetarian, but I am limited by the fact that I have to cook for children! Does anyone have any suggestions for food for picky eaters that can be made on a limited school budget and still be vegetarian? (I know this is asking a lot...)

Xeno

:shock:

I am speechless with shock and dismay. This is sad. I used to live in that area and cannot believe that there are that many vegetarians to be able to enforce an entire school menu must be vegetarian. I think a lot of the kids are going to be bringing in lunch, assuming they are allowed to contaminate the cafeteria with bologna. I also think you are going to be selling a lot of PB&J.

I agree with Rachel, this is an exceptionally difficult situation to find oneself.

Does your vegan charter allow for the use of eggs, or of milk and cheese? How about fish?

I did a quick search on google (vegan recipe kids) and derived the following:

VegWeb The skillet pizza and the guacomole both look interesting. There's also a recipe sequence by days if you want a two week cycle.

Veg Family A bean and molasses hot pot, the use of ramen and tofu, and the liberal use of Ragu sauce was interesting

There were several other sites that looked interesting,as well

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Does your vegan charter allow for the use of eggs, or of milk and cheese? How about fish?

It's my understanding that the term "vegan" means precisely avoiding all of the above. That's what makes it stand apart from "vegetarian"; veganism is the COMPLETE avoidance of ANY sort of animal product. I've known people who have taken this to the point of not eating broccoli because they read that broccoli MAY have something resembling a very rudimentary nervous system.

I never researched that broccoli claim, but at least it's easier than being a "fruititarian". I'm not sure these people actually exist, but in theory they will only eat the fruit which FALLS off of a tree (or vine) because it means they aren't physically hurting the tree. Of course, all of that concern overlooks the fact that the fruit contains the seeds of trees yet to be born... so in essence they're feeding on a fruit fetus. How's that for imagery (and alliteration)?

Xenochef - Other than the obvious choices (creative salads, grilled portabella mushroom sandwiches, hummus, etc.) I can't really help you out. Hopefully though, the comforting knowledge that you don't have to deal with "fruititarians" will make your task seem that much simpler!

There are lots and lots of recipes available and I have quite a few Vegetarian and Vegan cookbooks. My problems are more universal in that the children have such limited tastes that I don't know what to make that the majority of them will eat!!! I CAN use eggs and dairy but of course some of them are allergic...

I am a personal Chef and I cook for a vegan/ kosher familly with four children. They have better palates than my families whose children eat normal. Much more open to veggies and exotic ingredients.

Almost any childs dish can be made vegan, you just have to substitute with soy and such.

eggplant parm

spring rolls

pizza w/ soy cheese

taco's made with TVP

stirfry

Mac and cheese

chili and soups

check out Health shoppe for ideas, they have a veggetarian deli. Any specific questions feel free to email me.

Is your clientele children of rich folks moving to Morris County, or are they possibly children of parents from India? A large number of Indians are moving into the area, and they may be vegetarians with a highly developed palate. You should find out, because it could make a world of difference in your approach.