• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

So, some friends of mine are going to Japan...

jmfangio

And I've asked them to bring me back a bottle of the Hermes orange bitters and violet liqueur (full disclosure: I'm watering their plants while they're away, and treating them to dinner when they get back).

Are there any other must have items that, luggage space permitting, I should ask them for?

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

Paraiso lychee liqueur is nice (and the more popular Dita, but Paraiso seems a bit nicer), and Hermes has a matcha liqueur (too sweet for me, so I make my own). However, I'd recommend asking for some good imo-jochu (sweet potato shochu).

I know California has a reasonable variety of shochu these days (especially compared to Washington state... argh), but I suspect there's some higher end stuff that doesn't get here, and I'm also sure the US price is at least double the Japan price, considering how expensive ordinary Iichiko is here.

And I've asked them to bring me back a bottle of the Hermes orange bitters and violet liqueur (full disclosure:  I'm watering their plants while they're away, and treating them to dinner when they get back).

Are there any other must have items that, luggage space permitting, I should ask them for?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

We just scored a bottle of Shiso flavoured Shochu from Japan. Very nice!

Ooh! That sounds good - there's a great selection of sake and shochu at the Japanese markets here in LA, but I've never heard of the shiso flavored version. I recently found a cocktail blog written by a guy in Shizuoka, and I'm very curious to know more about the wasabi liqueur in this cocktail.

Jason - I'll look into the matcha liqueur as well. Is it significantly different from the Zen Green Tea Liqueur that's sold over here?

Edited by jmfangio (log)

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham

I don't really know because I presumed the worst when I read the ingredients on the Zen Green Tea Liqueur bottle. I just use matcha, sugar and gin and infuse for about a week. However, the Hermes one in Japan was only about $10/bottle to Zen's $27-30.

Tantakatan (the shiso shochu) is actually pretty cheap and is somewhat available in North America... I've heard it was served at some place in Vancouver, BC. Although I like it quite a lot, my girlfriend always prefers to bring something more remarkable when she comes to Seattle.

We just scored a bottle of Shiso flavoured Shochu from Japan. Very nice!

Ooh! That sounds good - there's a great selection of sake and shochu at the Japanese markets here in LA, but I've never heard of the shiso flavored version. I recently found a cocktail blog written by a guy in Shizuoka, and I'm very curious to know more about the wasabi liqueur in this cocktail.

Jason - I'll look into the matcha liqueur as well. Is it significantly different from the Zen Green Tea Liqueur that's sold over here?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Thanks - I just googled Tantakatan. I'm planning a trip down to the bit Mitsuwa Market in Torrance this weekend, and now that I know what the label looks like, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Ooh!  That sounds good - there's a great selection of sake and shochu at the Japanese markets here in LA, but I've never heard of the shiso flavored version.  I recently found a cocktail blog written by a guy in Shizuoka, and I'm very curious to know more about the wasabi liqueur in this cocktail.

The Route 66 liqueur that fellow uses in some of his drinks sounds interesting. :) The creme de popcorn also sounds fun. :)

Edited by mbanu (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a happy camper - they just returned, and brought me back the Hermes Orange Bitters and Violet Liqueur. First up, a Plymouth martini with a dash of the orange bitters, then, perhaps, a Blue Moon or an Aviation. :biggrin: