• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using BLiS Maple Syrup for a chocolate center?

tammylc

I just got a bottle of BLiS maple syrup. This is really awesome organic maple syrup that's been aged in used Bourbon barrels, so in addition to the maple flavor, it's got subtle bourbon and wood notes that really push it over the top.

Knowing that I make chocolates, everyone around me is asking when I'm going to put it into a chocolate. I'm trying to think of what a good vehicle for the flavors would be. I'm familiar with ganache centers and caramels, but it seems like the flavor would get overwhelmed by a chocolate ganache and cooked out by the high temperatures needed to make caramel. I know that fondant and creme centers exist, and it seems like one of these might be right, but I know nothing about making them. My husband has suggested putting a few drops of the maple syrup into a shell before filling it with something else, and that sounds like a great idea, although I wonder about crystallization or shelf life in doing that.

Thoughts?

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I've reduced maple syrup almost to sugar when using it in an anglaise. Maybe you can do that and add it to something really light in flavor like white chocolate? That way you'll get a really strong maple kick!! Maple syrup is probably my favorite thing in the world.

Maple syrup can be used to make a fondant but it would mean boiling it to 117 C, and that might change the flavours in the syrup.

Chef on the go's idea of a white chocolate ganache might not hide the flavour too much, but it would be a very sweet center for sure.

Perhaps there is a way to make a pectin gelee with it. I'm thinking of the layer from a chocolate from the world pastry forum page that uses the pectin X58. I'll search for it when I get home from work and add link.

I've reduced maple syrup almost to sugar when using it in an anglaise.  Maybe you can do that and add it to something really light in flavor like white chocolate? That way you'll get a really strong maple kick!!  Maple syrup is probably my favorite thing in the world.

I think a reduction would be great for most maple syrups, but because this one picks up so much flavor in the aging process, I worry that it would lose those nice bourbon notes in a reduction. I probably just need to try it and see though...

Edited by tammylc (log)

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40