• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to choose a champagne glass?

vanveen

We have the classic champagne flute:

B00005Y1E7.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The champagne glass:

B00005Y1E6.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

And the trumpet:

89554-b.jpg

(Let's avoid the saucers/coupes.)

Cosmetics aside, which promotes aroma and flavor the best? It would seem to me that the trumpet-style, flared flute wouldn't be great because the aroma would disperse in all directions, but between the classic glass and flute, I'm at a loss. What differences would one expect?

As I understand it, the problem with the trumpet is that it doesn't contain or concentrate the aromas, so they just dissipate. You want a glass that curves in, to contain the aromas, and you want some decent volume and liquid surface area. So for really good Champagne, you want the Champagne glass -- or even a regular white-wine glass if it's a particularly wine-like Champagne (like some of the grower Champagnes). The flute is fine for basic NV Champagnes, I think.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The best champagne is a fine wine with bubbles. Having a glass that will allow the aroma to develop and be retained can make a big difference. Our favorite champagne glass is the Riedel Sommelier Vintage Champagne, similar to #2 above but slightly narrower in the body:

gallery_39780_4391_3432.jpg