• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that you are *supposed* to find delicious?

mrsadm

Oh dear. I have tried and tried to like eggplant. It isn't the flavor it's the texture.

I can eat it in ratatouille (sp?) or caponata where it's mixed with plenty of other things but alone, I nearly gag.

I'll keep trying, though. I dislike disliking foods.

I can't stand avocados by themselves, but love them in guacamole or even just slices in sandwiches.

Count me as well. But I love them in guacamole.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Steak - I love a good steak, it's awesome but I don't see the connection people often make between "steak" and "the holy grail of food"

Agreed, and well-stated. I love meat as an ingredient, but usually feel like something is missing when a big hunka meat (however well-prepared) lands unadorned on my plate.

My thoughts exactly (although I love eggplant). I try honeydew and cantaloupe every few years, but continue not to love them.

i wish i like anise or any thing tasting vaguely of liquorice.

i've tried and tried...i used to walk by this bakery to school every day, seeing happy, shiny people munching warm, toasty handfuls of their famous fig and anise loaf. i caved one day and bought one, and walked the rest of the way home trying to work my way through the loaf -- it was glorious in every way, except I really can't bear the taste of anise, and I would bite, chew, and wince, bite, chew, and wince. i'm sure i looked very strange =p

itadakimas...eat a duck i must!

Roquefort, Stilton, Gorgonzola--any blue cheese. It's really too bad. I keep looking for a cheese that has a similar amount of fat and tanginess, to substitute in recipes. I love all sorts of really stinky cheeses, but I just can't get past the moldy taste of the blues.

I do not like cauliflower or broccoli I know I should..most folks do really like them even when they are not big fans of other veggies...these two just do not taste good to me and really I adore vegetables

the only other thing I can think of I don't care for that people around me just enjoy the heck out of is eel

I will eat anything from the sea raw or cooked... but have tried this several times and can not make myself see what other people love in it...it is just too eely tasting I guess

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Salsa.

Raw onions burn the mouth. Raw tomatoes give me canker sores. Cilantro tastes like soap.

All of it together is just hideous.

I love raw onions and tomatoes :smile: , but agree that cilantro would ruin them, or anything else! :sad:

SB (perhaps a bit a basil instead :hmmm: )

Roquefort, Stilton, Gorgonzola--any blue cheese. It's really too bad. I keep looking for a cheese that has a similar amount of fat and tanginess, to substitute in recipes. I love all sorts of really stinky cheeses, but I just can't get past the moldy taste of the blues.

Same here -- I can't eat more than a taste of blue cheese. Blue cheese dressing ruins a salad for me. I suspect maybe it'll possible for me to someday acquire a taste for blue cheese, but I dunno.

Many of mine have already been mentioned, like cilantro, but two of my biggies are:

Citrus and chocolate. I just don't get it. And whole raspberries--not the flavor, love the flavor--just way too little fruit flesh ratio to annoying, pesky seeds that get painfully lodged in or between my teeth.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

It isn't the flavor it's the texture.

That's like me and okra. Reminds me of snot.

And me with zucchini and other summer squash. I try every summer when they become the side dish de riguer and just can't take it.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

Cilantro is like soap here. I think I read something where that is one of the things that for some folks thats how it tastes... coriander seed tastes good however. Must be something in the leaves.

The marrow out of a fried steak is great, It was a prize to be savored when I grew up with my Tyrolean grandfather, a "chiquette" (sp?)

Bud

I don't think anybody's mentioned these foods we're supposed to find delicious:

- The vast majority of food sold that is loaded with sugars, HFCS, etc.

- Same, but loaded with salt.

- Same, but loaded with grease.

I starting reducing my sugar intake a few months ago and I kind of find sugary foods disgusting now (same with salty and greasy foods, but longer ago). Mass-market foods have overloaded our taste buds with sugars and salt, to the exclusion of everything else.

i wish i like anise or any thing tasting vaguely of liquorice.

I like licorice, especially Dutch "salty" licorice, but I'm not really fond of licorice or anise flavor in anything else.

SB :hmmm:

PS: Is "itadakimas" a Japanese version of "Saying Grace"? I could only find one other reference to it on eGullet.

I'm finding this thread really interesting. We're all made the same but with such individual tastes. I could eat/drink anise or liquorice flavoured things 'til the cows came home.

I just got some really nice Greek Mountain honey, which has an incredibly strong anise flavour. So strong infact, it almost kills the honey flavour.

My brother hates nuts, even cashews, which baffles me beyond belief. How can anyone dislike cashews? Is there anything more deliciously moreish than 'honey-roasted cashew nuts'?

Edited by GTO (log)

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Blackberries.

I meet people all the time who rave about how superior these are to raspberries and blueberries. "You have to pluck them right off the bramble yourself when they're still warm from the sun", they say.

I have. Still don't get it.

Radishes with butter and salt.

I love all three components separately. But I don't get how they are meant to complement each other. It's a textural thing for me, I guess.

Chicken. Feh. I'll eat it if I'm a guest, but I'd much rather eat just about anything else.

Oh dear. I have tried and tried to like eggplant. It isn't the flavor it's the texture.

I can eat it in ratatouille (sp?) or caponata where it's mixed with plenty of other things but alone, I nearly gag.

Once I got to thinking about it, and was reminded by others'postings, I came up with a 12-item list. Several were the vegetables I was made to eat as a child, that nauseate me to this day (I mean even looking at them!). The worst of those are frozen green peas and frozen lima beans. Other dislikes are less explainable, like marshmallows and watermelon. I realized when I was five that I didn't like either of those, and I wanted to because they were family treats that everyone else enjoyed. I felt left out, but I couldn't stand them and still can't. I also can't eat yogurt or pickles; probably I don't much like sour. I can't stand olives but have learned to like their flavor in a martini. I have a hard time eating eggplant in any form, and actually I don't like most American Italian food. I have had Italian food in Italy that I liked, but it was nothing like the Italian food here. And I really can't stand American Chinese food. I ate a bite of persimmon off a tree once, also when I was five, and cried because I disliked it so much. I haven't tried one since. Isn't the latest research saying taste is as individual as fingerprints? I can't imagine not liking chicken or blackberries.

It isn't the flavor it's the texture.

That's like me and okra. Reminds me of snot.

I had a girlfriend back in college who referred to okra as "slime wrapped in felt." I like it though, fried and in gumbo.

Edited by menon1971 (log)

I'm crying over the blue cheese thing. Love the stuff! My fave is Spanish Cabrales...I don't detect any mold taste at all, just an almost-citrusy brightness.

My no-no is oysters. They're slimy and disgusting in any form, IMO. I like a lot of other seafoods that are definitely stronger in taste, so maybe it's a 'slippery' issue.