• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods that you are *supposed* to find delicious?

mrsadm

What foods do you dislike that are supposed to be delicious and "everyone" likes them?

For me it is bone marrow. Tastes like snot to me!

What's yours?

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

In my pre-vegetarian days, I would always wonder what

people saw in : caviar, fishy fish, oysters, organ meats, etc.

*Shudder* to all - I genuinely tasted them all and tried not to

have any pre-conceived views. But gosh.....

It's really easy for me to stay on the green bandwagon because

I can't stand most of the stuff that "all" meaters apparently love....

What am I doing on a foodie group......

Milagai

What foods do you dislike that are supposed to be delicious and "everyone" likes them?

For me it is bone marrow.  Tastes like snot to me! 

I imagine that the circle in which everybody is assumed to like bone marrow is an extremely narrow one. I mean, I like it fine, but even among eGullet members, I don't think there's any such assumption: and in the non-foodie world (at least in the US), marrow and the people who love it are looked on with some suspicion...

Edited by Andrew Fenton (log)

I'll eat caviar, but I get more pleasure out of watching those who really enjoy it, (my Sister for one), consume my share.

Perhaps my tastes are just a bit pedestrian, because I feel the same way about raw oysters.

SB :cool:

I'll eat caviar, but I get more pleasure out of watching those who really enjoy it, (my Sister for one), consume my share.

Perhaps my tastes are just a bit pedestrian, because I feel the same way about raw oysters.

SB  :cool:

ditto.

Uni (sea urchin sushi)  :wacko:

Everyone raves...........

After spending 3 days along on the coast of Maine with no food except a book on foraging (my father hoped that Outward Bound would cure my 16-year-old angst) and cracking open sea urchins on a rock when I was starving, I'm with you! That stuff is FOUL. :shock:

And maybe you're not supposed to find these thing "delicious" (merely ubiquitous), but I find hamburgers, hotdogs, peanut butter, and all things McDonalds revolting. Oh, and anything mint flavored...

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I know, I know, I'm a freak. Mine is...cheese.

I have begun to really appreciate it (had a triple cream at Otto last week that was unreal), but I am not a big fan of the cheese. Yes, I like it in and with certain foods, but cheese by itself, or on a cracker?

Mostly, no thanks.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I had occasion to try a bit of marrow--- once! I don't recall what it tasted like; I couldn't get past the greasy texture of it in my mouth! And I don't like undercooked green beans. They don't have to be cooked to mush, but I do want them cooked through. That 'crunchily underdone' texture is NOT cooked, to my taste!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

I intensly dislike watermelon. And all melon. And especially fruit salad with those sherbert-colored melon balls for breakfast at restaurant in the Holiday Inn.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I've tasted grass, Dana and yes, it's kind of similar. Although I do love Asparagus.

Mine, may sound CRAZY and it's more of a "big deal" kind of thing.

Steak - I love a good steak, it's awesome but I don't see the connection people often make between "steak" and "the holy grail of food"

I think it's because it's one of our most basic foods. Caveman kill beast, eat flesh! Which is great but not God-like.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Milk seems slightly spoiled to me. I love sour yogurt, stinky cheese and frozen treats but drinking milk straight up probably isn't going to happen.

Also, I haven't yet found an appreciation for the various, cured olives. Damn. I love salty things and small, tricky to eat finger foods so I don't know what the hell my problem is. Perhaps with enough goat cheese... :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Yeah, I've mentioned this in other places here, but I really feel I must reiterate: raw tomatoes make me gag. I don't care if they are organic heirloom $40 per pound homegrown in a little old lady's back yard from her 50 year old varietals, they're still just gonna taste like slimy dirt to me.

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

It's not exactly food, but ... sparkling white wine/champagne. I don't hate it, but I don't really like it, either. I briefly considered not having it at my wedding, but then thought that too many people would miss it, and it's not as if I would have to drink a big glass of it anyway.

Also, persimmons. Every time I try one, I keep thinking that I will like it, but alas, that is not what happens.

Of course, who knows -- maybe the next time I try champagne or persimmons, I will find them to be divine. I distinctly remember at one point in time hating yogurt, cream cheese, fig newtons, avacadoes, beer, sushi, smoked salmon, and coffee -- all things that I now really love. I still don't love tea, but I like it more now than I did 5 years ago.

I can't stand eclairs, napoleons, sfogliatelle (sp?)...anything with pastry cream just grosses me out. Most flans are also not to my taste. I think it's the flavor of eggs combined with sugar. Yuck.

Unfortunately, I've lost my taste for cheese. Before I had my daughter, I used to love it. One of my favorite parts of having a dinner party was shopping at the cheese store beforehand; it was a great excuse to try cheese after cheese and buy a nice variety. I especially loved the sharp, aged varieties but any cheese had its merits. After my pregnancy (strangely, not during the pregnancy) it completely lost its appeal. For a while, the mere smell of it made me want to gag. Eventually I was able to put a tiny bit in my mouth before gagging. Now I can swallow a little nibble, but it has so little appeal that I never bother to have more. I'm hoping, with time, cheese appeal will return. I miss liking it.