• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Day in Cozumel

Mona J

Hey, guys. We will be spending one day in Cozumel as a port stop on a cruise in April. Any recommendations for some good local, non-touristy spots to eat, drink and shop?

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

• 4 months later...

Oh, I'm so sorry I didn't see this! I hope you had a nice day out! Will post a little something anyway, in case someone Googles:

--Sabores, on Av 5 Sur opposite Hotel Las Anclas, is a great little place in a woman's house. Lunch is just a set price (about US$5) that covers whatever they're cooking that day.

--El Turix, southern edge of San Miguel. C 17 x 20 and 25, or something like. Home-style Yucatecan cooking. Dinner only, I think.

--I hear good things about a newish little place called El Chef, just south of Sabores in the same block. I visited just before it opened last winter--cute setup, very nice owner.

--Super-Hit Tortas are a favorite for sandwiches--by baseball stadium, on Av 30.

--Coffeelia is a good mellow coffee shop a few blocks south of the plaza.

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

• 2 weeks later...

zora, i appreciate your reply! i'll be in cozumel on the 14th, and i'd searched other forums for restaurants in the yucatan. i heard somewhere about sabores, but upon second suggestion, i'm going to try it for sure.

hopefully i'll make it back with a detailed report!

"i dream of cherry pies, candy bars and chocolate chip cookies." -talking heads

Some of the very best dining on the island (and in town) is from the pushcarts on the street, those manned mostly by fairly old women and selling all kinds of local treats.

Not to worry about the water in which these things have been steamed for the steaming process lasts at least 24 hours and whatever in the water that might have hurt you is by now quite dead and harmless.

Definitely try Sabores! Very sweet place, literally in this woman's backyard. I _have_ heard that one of the waitstaff has tried to overcharge people, but as long as you go in knowing that the flat price (M$50 last time I checked, but it could be a little more by now) includes a soup and a main dish, as well as the jamaica (hibiscus) drink, it shouldn't be an issue. If you order sodas or whatever, that of course costs a little more.

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome