• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bone Lick Park (West Village)

Gastro888

Last night, the two of us grabbed dinner at Bone Lick Park. We're not too familar with the restaurants in the area so we were at a bit of a loss. We've eaten at Tea and Sympathy and enjoyed it. I've noshed on the tasty fish and chips from A Salt and Battery. Blind leading the blind, I decided to go to Bone Lick Park for a quick nosh.

Ugh. Why? No no no. It was very "industrial" - Sysco like, if you will. The fried chicken platter consisted of three pieces of cornmeal dipped chicken that lacked taste and flavor. They were dry on the outside but curiously greasy on the inside. I had to use catsup and hot sauce to give it a kick. The mashed potatoes were stiff and not creamy and buttery. The gravy was just liquidfied fat and not in a good way. The plus one's brisket platter was dry and not really flavorful. The mac and cheese was good but not ohmygodthisisawesome good.

Don't get me started on the cornbread. It was a yellow slab of nothingness.

Oh well. At least I only spent 30 bucks. But still! It was 30 bucks on mediocre food. Ai.

Does anyone have any good West Village recommendations? Any type of cuisine, just reasonably priced and tasty? (I like Tea and Sympathy but spending 60 bucks on one app, two entrees and one dessert with tea is a bit overpriced, IMHO. It is after all, simple English food. No chicken and leek pie is worth 20 bucks.)

I live in that part of the WV. recommendations:

Perry Street, Spotted Pig, Pasita, Morandi, Cafe Cluny, Smorgas Chef, Fatty Crab, presumably 5 Ninth (I haven't been), Employees Only, Turks & Frogs and Pastis (if you can handle the B&T/tourist mob scene) range from acceptable to superb...and all are within a few blocks of Bone Lick Park. a little bit further away you have August, Bellavitae, Little Owl (and the rest of the Bedford brigade). Its one of best restaurant concentrations in the city...it's a shame you ended up at BLP.

Thanks for the recs, Nathan.

*sighs* I know, I know! My knowledge of that part of the city is rather limited and I felt like a complete boob when I got my meal. How does BLP stay in business? After having ribs from the BBQ place upstate (Big W), I don't want to have subpar BBQ.

Oh God not Pastis. No way. After being to Cafe D'Alsace, I don't want to return to Pastis. It's not bad food but I don't do well in those huge restaurants. Ick.

On that same strip, Cafe de Bruxelles is great for muscles and frites.  Tavern on Jane is good for pub food.

Agreed on Cafe de Bruxelles. The service is a bit slow-paced so don't go if you're in a rush. The bar area offers more interesting seating than the rest of the space. It seems they have a fairly broad selection of Belgian beers, too.