• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean on Buford Highway in ATL

markemorse

Hae Woon Dae was fine on our last visit a couple of months ago. Where were you reading horribly mixed reviews?

Lots and lots of Korean here in town. Are you specifically looking for barbecue?

Can you pee in the ocean?

hey therese, thanks for the reply....

Blissful Glutton has had multiple dissatisfactions...

On Citysearch, someone found a piece of metal in their oxtail soup...

Saw a couple negative comments somewhere else as well, can't 'member now....

So I thought I'd check. I thought BBQ would be nice, and I like Hae Woon Dae's atmosphere....it's a group of 10 Dutch folks, they're staying near Oglethorpe, Korean is hard to find over here, etc.

I'm open to other no-miss Korean suggestions in the Chamblee area as well, BBQ or not....

Thanks!

mark

ETA: Accidental "Submit" left me with a semi-nonsensical post...sorry.

Edited by markemorse (log)

So I thought I'd check. I thought BBQ would be nice, and I like Hae Woon Dae's atmosphere....it's a group of 10 Dutch folks, they're staying near Oglethorpe, Korean is hard to find over here, etc.

ETA: Accidental "Submit" left me with a semi-nonsensical post...sorry.

So far so good for us and Hae Woon Dae, but of course we may just have been lucky. My chief complaint there is actually the fact that the large tables are made in such a way that you can't really fit you legs under them, so your Dutch friends might find them a tight fit. The service at Hae Woon Dae tends to be a bit more abrupt than other Korean places (which are mostly on the abrupt side in any case).

The other place that I know serves bbq is Yong Soo San. It's on Buford Highway, but of course I can't recall at the moment precisely where. I've never actually eaten bbq there, though, but the other food is quite good and so the bbq would likely follow suit. I don't know if they use real charcoal (as Hae Woon Dae does) or not. Nicer dining room than most Korean restaurants in town, and generally better service.

There are lots of places that serve tofu soup, the sort that comes in a very, very hot bowl. We like 88 Tofu House, but have also liked just about every other one we've ever been to in the area. Warn your friends that they may need to bring their own beer.

Oh, and how the heck are they getting out there from Oglethorpe?

Thanks for the reply...yeah, I was kinda hoping for good charcoal BBQ just because it's great-tasting and out of the ordinary.

I'm hoping they have a hotel courtesy van (do those even exist anymore?)...I guess it is kind of a far cab ride, huh? Maybe PM me if you've got any brilliant, unique dining ideas closer to Brookhaven? :laugh:

thanks again....

mark

Edited by markemorse (log)

And (sorry for all this bad news), is it possible that Yong Soo San is closed?

Well, I've not been recently enough to say if it's closed, or if it's re-opened after remodelling (as the comments on that link suggest it might). In any case that would have to be one very courteous hotel to offer to drive their guests from Brookhaven to BuHi. Those hotels that have them usually make brief runs to restaurants and shopping near the hotel (and public transit links if they exist), and that's about it.

Were I wrangling a group of 10 Dutchmen (and possibly women) I'd book a car service. Carey Limousine is the big one here in town, and they are way better than a cab, as they'll be able to provide a van large enough for the party, and will simply wait to take your party home after dinner (or dispatch another van if they're out very late). Taxi cabs here in Atlanta are notoriously poor: they won't be able to find the restaurant, they'll be unfamiliar with the BuHi area (unless they serve that area, in which case you better hope that the Dutch have polished their Spanish language skills), and you can't hail them in the street. Logistically hellish in every way.

Good to know...time must have smoothed over the inconvenience of getting out to Hae Woon Dae in my tiny mind.

Further developments....the more I hear about their plans the more I think we might be dealing with smaller factions splitting off in their own directions...some will be brave enough for MARTA, so I'll be modifying my recs accordingly.

in any event, thanks a bunch for your help. I'd still be interested in hearing further intel on Korean BBQ if any shows up....

mark

YSS is sadly closed. Quality charcoal BBQ has become increasingly hard to find in Atlanta. Most places seem to be using gas. I guess HWD is an option, but I have had serious problems with their quality as of late.

If you are open to other non-BBQ suggestions, as you said, maybe you should try So Kong Dong? They have great bibimbap and their BBQ plates (prepared in the kitchen) are not too bad.