• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite restaurant

Sushi Hiro at Ealing common, the chefs sushi rice is better than any I have had anywhere in London and the fish is as good as it gets.

Richard Corrigan can cook me lunch any time.

L'ami Louis in Paris. Simon Hopkinson made me go for lunch so that I would understand thjat good ingredients should be given the simplest of treatments and I have yet to visit a restaurant that demonstrates this principle better.

L'ami Louis in Paris.

Chef Harris -- If you recall, please consider discussing some of the dishes you sampled at L'Ami Louis. For example, have you taken in the restaurant's roast chicken -- a large, magestic bird presented in two services? (I have not) :laugh:

The biggest snails stuffed into shells alonmg with the most intense of garlic butters. They came on a black iron dish that meant they still spluttered 10 vminutes later.

2 fat slices of terrine of foie gras served on the smallest of side plates. No rich elegant toasted brioche rather a pile of toasted baguette. so appropriate.

Yes we had the roast chicken, back in 1987, the time of my meal it was 190 francs and was the cheapes thing on the menu. It doesn't come in twoo services and I don't beleive it ever has. The prime fowl was roasted and quartered and served in the oval enamel roasting dish it had first entered the oven in. The gravy (jus is too poncy for this dish) had a positive layern of butter and chicken fat floating on the surface. Greenery was a large bunch of watercress plonked alongside as it left the kitchen, as we worked through the chicken it slowly wilted and cooked in the gravy.

Pudding was a bowl of raspberries served with an obscene amounbt of crem fraiche straight from a large crock.

With a bottle of house Fleurie tyhe bill back then was over £100.

I would have paid double