• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ahi tuna?

I'm desperately seeking a great restaurant in the Seattle area that serves delicious dishes (a really good ahi tuna and other fish dishes....vegetarian ok also) with breathless presentations. Can anyone help?

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

Hi seawakim, Welcome!

I second the reccomendation on Flying Fish for great fish.

I also tasted a couple of amazing fish dishes last month at Matt's at the Market (Pike Place Mkt). I had Pan Roasted Halibut with olive-lentil cake, & tomato coulis, and my husband's was Seared Skipperjack w/ black beans and corn salsa. Skipperjack is similar to tuna, only darker in color. They were both excellent and were specials at lunch time. They also serve dinner.

A couple of years ago I had an especially nice plate of halibut (w/beautiful presentation, but not quite classified as breathless) at Anthony's Pier 66 location (upstairs). The view of the sound up there is gorgeous, too. I would gladly go for that meal again.

Trying to remember where I last ordered ahi...I don't think I've had it recently.

Ahi is one of my all-time favorite foods. Other than coming over to my house, by far the best I've had in a restaurant is at Ponti which is near the south end of the Ballard bridge. I think, because its been around for a while, that Ponti doesn't get nearly the attention and pub it deserves a really top-notch restaurant in Seattle.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I can't remember when I have ordered it recently either. At some point I decided to stop beating around the bush and eat my tuna in sushi form. :raz:

You might want to try Oceanaire Seafood Room. I have yet to go there, but the grapevine says big fish portions in a nice atmosphere. I would expect a good tuna dish.

Another possibility is Seastar in Bellevue, I went there once and had a fairly good experience. Again, no tuna, but they too may do a nice preperation.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Ahi is one of my all-time favorite foods.  Other than coming over to my house, by far the best I've had in a restaurant is at Ponti which is near the south end of the Ballard bridge.  I think, because its been around for a while, that Ponti doesn't get nearly the attention and pub it deserves a really top-notch restaurant in Seattle.

Actually, Ponti is located near the south end of the Fremont bridge. I'm hoping to try it soon.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Actually, Ponti is located near the south end of the Fremont bridge.  I'm hoping to try it soon.

You are correct! Thank you for correcting my geographic dyslexia. Just to be safe, here's the link to their website which I'm sure will provide much better info on where they are than I am apparently capable of.....

Ponti Seafood Grill

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Thanks for bringing up Ponti. You're right - it's a great place, but doesn't get talked about much.

When I was there (which was a couple of years ago), I had their Thai Curry Penne with Dungenness Crab topped w/ Seared Scallops, tomato chutney & fresh basil. It was excellent. It was one of the cooler months when we were there, and we sat next to a window that overlooked an outdoor dining area which looked nice for the summer months.

I've also eaten at Phonecia on Alki Beach in W. Seattle, although have not ordered the fish before. I like that place, and the owner is very nice, too.

How about Brasa, downtown neighborhood, or Market Street Grill, in Ballard. I haven't been to either all summer (!) but have been impressed with the food and presentation over and over again. Both have seafood and vegetarian selections. Or Carmelita's, Phinney Ridge, for vegetarian only? Not sure if any of these qualify as "breathless", but worthy candidates for consideration.