• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A few meals in New Orleans

NYC Mike

Hi Guys,

Help me out if you can. I am flying to NO Tues next week for a conference and will be staying at the Sheraton on Canal and then out again Wed. afternoon.

I will have time for a really quick solo lunch Tuesday before the show, dinner with a few coworkers and solo breakfast Wed. morning.

If I could stay within walking distance from the hotel that would be great but short cabs would be ok for that dinner.

If I remember right there is a great lunch place really close to the hotel, I was either too drunk or hungover last time (only other time too;-) to be sure.

Thanks!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Hi Mike, I think you might be referring to the Palace Cafe on Canal. It is one of many restaurants in the Brenann Dynasty's offering. Good exemplary food of the New Orleans Tradition. Personally, I would recommend Mr. B.'s, also from the Brennan clan, just a block off Canal on Royal. As for dinner, Herbsaint would make a fine choice. It is consistently recognized as one of the City's best restaurants, and has been recognized nationally as well. I would highly recommend the rabbit. Had it recently and it was superb. I was not as happy with the pork belly, but I did give myself an A for adventurousness. For true fine dining you should consider Restaurant August, also just a short walk. I hope you enjoy your visit. ch

Is Mr. B.'s open yet? It wasn't a couple of weeks ago.

Palace Cafe is a lovely room with fine food. I had a great lunch there recently.

August is the best restaurant in town, an opinion that is shared by many.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Is Mr. B.'s open yet?  It wasn't a couple of weeks ago.

I stand corrected. They are reopening soon. When exactly they haven't said. They finished their renovations so long ago I just assumed I had missed the big news.

Also for a really hearty breakfast Mother's is a short walk. Or if you feel like taking a walk in the Quarter, Croissant d'or is good for coffee and pastries. Also La Boucheie has very good pastries and is a liitle closer, Conti between Royal and Chartres. ch

• 2 weeks later...

What a special place this city is!!

I had an amazing time!! I was so happy to hear the music in the street everywhere we went! It was a standout memory for me last time I was there and really glad it was jumping again.

If your going anytime soon you MUST check out the brass band that hangs on the corner of Canal and Bourbon. Wow! Those guys rock, hard.

I was there with work folks so I got to eat and provide less input that I would normally. I didn't really get to eat the city, unfortunatly. And, I had no time to test if the NO airport would let me through with a sack of mudbugs. :laugh:

Had a great first day lunch at Mother's. Oyster Po'boy and a bowl of gumbo set me right straight. Most of my group had the jambalaya lunch with greens, they all really liked it too.

We had dinner at Broussard. This was set up by my company. For the price...$400 for 5 I would have suggested/gone to August based on recommendations here but I really can't complain about Broussards. The service was good, the Veal Broussard was really good, they kept my cocktail full. :laugh:

Did another really touristy thing with the company folks from Cali for breakfast...Cafe Dumond for coffee and beiignets...what could be bad about deep fried and covered in powdered sugar! The number of kids in there were frightning, my three would bounce of the walls for hours after a taste of that stuff!! Hightlight was a co-worked dressed head to toe in black trying to keep clean!

I've got to get back with the wife and kids this spring/summer. It was less crowded than I remember but much more active and lively than I expected. Very nice time indeed.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Mike, glad you enjoyed yourself. Good to see one of the oldline restaurants get some buisness, they have really been hurting, and I don't think they get enough credit, what they lack in cutting edge cuisine they certainly make up for in ambiance and service. And thanks for posting up on your trip, too often that seems to be neglected. ch