• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch baby

ned

Lilija -- They are a little eggy, but not dense, at least not the Times recipe I used... It was quite light -- like a popover but a little less eggy. Certainly should in no way have pure egg veins running through it -- that diner meal sounds terrible! I added a little vanilla to the Times recipe and one Tbs of sugar in the batter... Definitely give it a try, as the whole thing is very simple and quick to put together....

Mmmm. Just writing about it again may mean I have to make one for lunch today!

Emily

Excellent, thank you! That's just the kind of answer I was hoping for. I'm going to try these very soon now, with your variation, and maybe some of these fresh strawberries I have laying around.

I guess I was scarred by the bad one, feeling apprehensive about the dish ever since.

i use very light and thin non-stick paella/mussels pans (that i never use for paella...or mussels...) - i preheat them with butter to hot , they have rather tall curving sides - perfect to curl up the sides of dutch baby. we usually bake them in berry season - with sweet whipped cream , lemon juice and sugar. also can make fresh berry sauce to drizzle over. also maple syrop with lemon juice is great on top. basically i dress them like belgian waffles.

just went to check my recipe. i find it rather dough-ee, so wanted to compare flour amts. for 3 eggs mine uses 3/4 cup each milk an' flour - so a little more then yours. and no sugar at all, but 1 more tb of butter. i made a note to try your lighter version. it's probably a little eggier too?

h-mm! now that i think about it - the savory version mentioned would be great ! what if i add an extra egg to make it even more eggier for ham and cheese version?

• 3 weeks later...

I offer the following:

Everyone who loves dutch babies must love yorkshire pudding

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 1 month later...

I made the recipe in the original post. ned's dutch baby recipe

The first time, I used an 8" cast iron skillet, and it was too "eggy". I figured that was due to a shortage of surface area (64 sq in), so I made it 2x more, using a 9x13 baking pan (117 sq in, ~ double), and skipping the stove-top portion of the prep. Fabulous!

Especially topped with cherries cooked in a lot of butter and a little sugar.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

This was a favorite years ago for family breakfasts.....though with much less sugar I am sure. I always used a "deep dish" pyrex pie plate, pre-heated in oven with butter melting in it. Wouldn't do that now, but never had a problem .....though it was sometimes a tough cleanup. Thanks for all the topping ideas.....we just used syrup.

Just like JTravel above, I use a 9" glass deep dish pie plate for my dutch babies. I heat it at 400 degrees for ten minutes, toss the butter in and put it back into the oven until melted. As soon as the butter melts but before it browns, I pour in the batter. Excellent results, with a great puff. I think the key to a great puff is using a very hot baking vessel.

I have six of these pie plates since back in the day, when I was cooking for six, I would have all six at once baking in the oven.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

• 1 year later...

So far we have three recipes for Dutch Babies:

ned

3 eggs

5/8 cup of milk

1/2 tablespoon of vanilla

5/8 cup of flour

a heavy 1/4 cup of sugar

generous pinch of salt

5 tablespoons butter

Joy of Cooking

2 eggs

½ cup milk

½ cup all-purpose flour

¼ cup sugar

4 tablespoons butter

New York Times

2 eggs

½ cup flour

½ cup milk

Pinch of ground nutmeg

4 tablespoons butter

It looks to me like ned's (besides making a larger batch) is slightly eggier than the other two, and the NYT recipe has no sugar in it, compared to a fairly large amount in the other two. Does anyone else have any other variations, or is this pretty much universal? Equal amounts flour and milk, a couple eggs, and a heckuva lot of butter? Sugar is optional? Recommended or no?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Chris -- I use the NY Times recipe but add about 1Tbs of sugar and a tiny little bit of vanilla... I also cut back on the butter, as it just winds up pooled in the bottom of the cast iron pan if I use the full 4 Tbs. With that bit of sugar I think the NY Times recipe is just about perfect...

Emily

Noting that I make one dutch baby per 9 inch glass pie plate, my recipe is:

1 egg

1/2 cup AP flour

1/2 cup milk

I tsp vanilla or almond extract

2 tbsp butter for the pie plate

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I made Ned's recipe, with some sugar and some Splenda and less butter. Perhaps my pan was not hot enough but the middle was slow to brown and a bit soggy even when the puffed edges were quite brown. I just whisked things, perhaps that is a problem.

I have not made it in years and was glad to be re-introduced. When kids were little I had a recipe that used 2 Pyrex pie plates. Seems people are still doing that though I worry about thermal shock now.

Topping was very ripe sliced bananas and REAL syrup.