• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
SiseFromm

Southern California Artisinal Breakfast Sausages

I've searched high and low on eGullet as well as through Google. I came up empty-handed on D'Artagnan, Dean & Deluca, Neiman Ranch, and Snake River Farms. Amazon.com's searches through the food section were relatively fruitless. Even Aidell's offering seemed questionable (turkey?). All I really want are some absolutely gorgeous, hand-made breakfast links with lovely maple flavor. I can find unbelievable, small-batch bacons with ease, but finding a proper breakfast sausage made from pork is something elusive apparently. Are there any fine-foods markets in the LA/OC area with access to killer, restaurant-quality breakfast links? Bristol Farms makes a horrible fresh breakfast sausage so I'll rule that one out right away.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only help.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I'm not a big breakfast sausage fan but you might check with Surfas and see what they carry in their refrigerated of frozen section. You might also check with some of the butchers at Farmer's Market -- the "original" one at 3rd & Fairfax.

Good luck and do report back on what turns up.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Ever thought of making your own?
Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only help.

The fork, Jason, use the fork ...

Absolutely. I've made sausages before, but, frankly, I just don't want to again. There are fine artisans out there and they've already gone through all of the trials and tribulations. I just want to find them.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Fra'Mani makes Mattinata:

Premium fresh pork sausage seasoned with sage.  Ideal for breakfast and throughout the day.

I was told this is the breakfast sausage served at Bouchon in Las Vegas.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Nice find! I'm familiar with Fra'Mani and some of their other products (Cowgirl & Cheese Shop at Silverlake both sell their salamis). Ordering up a 5 lb. packages seems a bit much but I suppose I could just freeze the 4 lbs. I wouldn't use in the first go around.

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

There is a place on Olympic near Robertson (next to crazy fish) that makes all kinds of sausage. I imagine they have something that passes for b'fast sausage. FWIW I make sausage with Muscovy duck breast cut into chunks and dried apple, caramelized onions and sage mixed together . Left in fridge for a couple of days then through my ancient hand grinder and I just cook in patties. YUM! If I want to make more of a dinner sausage I add roasted garlic (in place of apple) and a nice grind of black pepper.

David

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

I'm not expecting much, but I did order some pork breakfast sausages from Omaha Steaks. We'll see. It will be a good experiment but my previous experiences with Omaha haven't been very memorable. By the way, those Fra'Mani sausages, which I assume are delicious, are whopping in at $20/lb. if my math is right. Ouch!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

There is a place on Olympic near Robertson (next to crazy fish) that makes all kinds of sausage.

David

I think the place you are thinking of is on Olympic at Doheny; north side of the street. The place has been there forever and most everything they have is German-style. Excellent quality but subtle flavors. Definitely worth a visit.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

Just an FYI, those Omaha Steaks sausages arrive pre-cooked and only require gentle reheating in an oven from frozen state. They're okay, but not mind-blowing. Very large and very fatty. The texture is decent enough but the casing doesn't 't have a great snap. They're more chewy than anything else. I think I'm going to bite teh bullet and order up those Fra'Mani sausages. If Bouchon is using them, I really don't need any further endorsement.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I think I'm going to bite teh bullet and order up those Fra'Mani sausages.  If Bouchon is using them, I really don't need any further endorsement.

Jason, don't bite yet. I'm checking on some retail places in the area.

you might try the venerable mail order Burgers Smokehouse.

www.smokehouse.com

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

you might try the venerable mail order Burgers Smokehouse. 

www.smokehouse.com

I might have to give that one a try. I see they have breakfast patties on the site. That might do even though I was thinking more about links. I might just have to make them myself as you mentioned. I can always order up meats from Neiman Ranch and grind them myself in my Kitchen Aid mixer.

Jason~

Why don't you ask someone at the places that carry the FraMani brsnd if they can get you thise? Lookslike Whole Foods carries them !

http://www.framani.com/stores_restaurants.htm

I think I've seen Fra'Mani salami in the deli case near the pate and hams, so it is possible they allow for special orders on the sausage. I'm in the Newport location often enough so I'll ask around when I'm there.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Jason, I got some info on Fra'Mani breakfast sausages.

Unfortunately, there are presently no retailers in the LA area carrying the breakfast sausages. :sad:

You can try special ordering them or ordering them online.

I know that ordering online can be expensive. Mind you, that's the price of shipping and handling next day because they ship it fresh not frozen.

Wish you well!

The quest has been completed! Resident foodie expert and culinary adventurer Russell J. Wong hooked me up big time! He dragged a couple of packs of Fra'Mani breakfast sausages directly from the source. Not only that, he brought them to me while I was in the middle of running our booth at the Vinyl Toy Network show in Pasadena over the weekend. What a trooper.

As for the sausages, they’re beautiful. I cooked two of them this morning with a classic breakfast of eggs over easy and toasted country bread. The sausages are plump and slightly larger than a typical grocery store link. The skin is taut and crisps up nicely to a deep golden brown. The fat to meat ratio is balanced as they stay moist but aren't overly greasy. The flavor is classic and spiked with sage . . . they aren't over or under seasoned. Though not overpowering, they clearly deliver a proper breakfast sausage punch. These are the best I’ve found in my search for great breakfast sausages.

Thanks RJ!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

SiseFromm,

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'm glad you like the breakfast sausages. You only cooked two?? Boy, what restraint you have.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      Following a long-standing tradition of simple bacon sarnie on New Year's Day. May it be a Happy One!

• By devinp
      I just finished curing my first lomo, and all looks/smells/tastes great except a couple sections inside the lomo that could be black mold?  I kept the exterior clean from mold (I had mostly white and some green pop up during curing, but wiped with vinegar to keep clean).  This picture shows one of those spots closer to the edge in the fat, but there was a second near the middle of the loin that I cutout already.  Unless I find more substantial sections, I think I'm good just cutting away those parts, but would love second opinions..  Thanks.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By CarsonWyler
      I'm looking for guanciale, preferably in the Sonoma County area but am willing to travel a bit or order online if necessary. Any ideas?
    • By Bhukhhad
      Breakfast in India vs Breakfast in our homes outside India
      My breakfasts have varied from the time I started to cook for myself instead of just enjoying my Mother’s cooking. At first they were a mix-match of meal fixings, or just dinner leftovers. Or the good old breakfast cereal and milk. But as the years passed and I was more organized, the meals I enjoyed in my Mother’s home began to swim in my memories. And I began to prepare those for my family. However, I am no amazonian chef, so depending on  the hectic nature of the days plans, I switched back and forth from convenience with taste, to elaborate and of course tasty breakfasts. We do have both vegetarian and non vegetarian foods but Indian breakfasts will mostly be vegetarian. 
      So here are some of the things I might make: 

1. Poha as in mostly ‘kande pohe’.
      2. Cheela/ Pudla
      3. Masala toast
      4. Indian Omelette
      5. Handwo piece
      6. Thepla
      7. Vaghareli rotli
      8. Dhokla chutney
      9. Idli sambhar
      10. Leftover sabji
      11. Muthiya
      12. Khakhra
      13. Upma
      14. Paratha

1. Kande Pohe: 
      The dish derives its name from Maharashtra where the Kande Pohe are celebrated as breakfast. They can of course like any breakfast, be eaten at any time. 
      Pohe/ Poha are steamed rice grains that have been beaten flat and then again redried. So they are like Rice flakes. Except they are hand pounded, so have a knobbly texture. 
      You get several varieties in the market. I prefer the thick white variety. 

1 cup dry poha per person
      1 medium onion sliced
      1/2 jalapeno deseeded
      1 sprig curry leaves
      2 small garlic cloves
      1/4 t cumin seeds
      1/2 lemon 
      1/8 t asafoetida
      1/4 t turmeric
      small handful of cilantro leaves
      1T fresh grated coconut
      2 T Peanut oil 
      salt to taste
      sugar to taste

In a pan heat some oil and add cumin seeds. When the seeds sputter, add sliced onions and stir. Saute on medium heat till they turn slightly browned here and there. Do not burn the onions. 
      Meanwhile wash the Poha in a colander and drain. Do this two or three times to get rid of any dirt and also to allow them to rehydrate. They do not need soaking. Fluff the poha with a fork. Add salt sugar turmeric asafoetida and chopped cilantro. Mix and set aside. 
      Once the onions are ready add minced garlic and chopped jalapeno along with the curry leaf sprig. 
      Turn the heat to low and add the poha mixture. Stir to coat and to allow the turmeric and asafoetida to cook. The poha will turn mildly yellow and start giving a wonderful fragrance. 
      Turn off the heat. Fluff gently and plate. Garnish with fresh grated coconut and a squeeze of lemon juice. 
      Finger licking good!! 
      Now when I make this next I will post a picture. 
      Update: Ok I felt the urge to have Kande Pohe for tonight’s dinner. So here is a picture. I am certain to enjoy it for breakfast as well. The measurement of 1 cup poha per person is too much for one meal. But carried over to another meal thats super good! I will also have some stir fried bok choy greens made in the same kadhai after the poha was done, and some cooked and sliced beetroot for salad. My family will add some haldiram sev on the poha for extra crunch! And we will all have some chaas to round off this meal. 

2. Cheela/ Pudla

These are essentially crepes but in the Indian style. 
      1/2 cup sieved garbanzo bean (Besan) flour. 
      Water to form a thin batter
      1T plain yogurt 
      1/2 t ginger garlic paste 
      1/4 or less green chili crushed
      2 t heated oil *
      pinch asafoetida
      pinch turmeric 
      salt to taste
      chopped cilantro (two sprigs)
      some ‘masala’ from a readymade pickle

Method:

mix the ingredients together except oil. Heat oil in a separate pan and add about 1 to 2 t of the hot oil onto the batter. It will sizzle. Use a whisk to stir thoroughly. The batter should be pouring consistency. 
      Let the batter soak for about half an hour if possible. 
      On a hot griddle, pour a ladle full of the batter. Turn the griddle with your wrist to spread the batter around. Cook on moderate to high flame. Flip the crepe when all the sides look like they are ready. You can add a little oil to the sides of the frying pan to make the edges crispy. 

In my home we usually have a Besan cheela with some yogurt its a quick and filling breakfast. You can have a small salad or fruit with it to make it more complete. Or fill the center of the cheela with some cottage cheese and fold for added creaminess! 
      3. Masala Toast : 

1 slice of bread (your choice) toasted
      1/2 small red onion minced
      1 medium roma tomato diced (or whatever you have)
      cilantro (few leaves)
      1/8 t cumin (optional)
      1/4 t chaat masala ( available in stores)
      1 inch cube paneer
      1 T peanut oil
      pinch turmeric (optional)

Heat the oil in a pan and saute the onions. Add the tomato and cook down to mush. Crumble the paneer and add the dry spices. Stir for a few seconds to warm the paneer. Add the cilantro and though I have not written it as an ingredient, I like a few drops of lemon juice. Do not overcook paneer.
      I started this topic because someone asked for Indian recipes on the new forum. I don’t think they have seen any yet. I hope they find this useful. I am enjoying it. 

I will add recipes to the list slowly. I have to however add that after a certain ‘age’ I have now resorted to having to make sure I have three things for breakfast besides coffee: a glass of water, a small portion of fruit and a small portion of some protein not necessarily meat. 
      Bhukkhad