• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King Arthur Speaks

srhcb

King Arthur Flour has long offered recipes and food writing in their catalogs, cook books, and newsletters. Now they have announced a new magazine, The Bakers Companion

Ventures like this are often viewed as nothing more than advertising, and many fail, but King Arthur Flour has as much credibility as any company in the food business.

SB (as a long time customer, hopes for a comp copy :wink: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

I placed an order with King Arthur earlier today so I should get a copy. I need another food magazine to read. What else would I read on airplanes these days? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

King Arthur Flour has as much credibility as any company in the food business.

Indeed, last year (or was it the year before), The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion was named Cookbook of the Year by the James Beard Foundation.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've got my doubts: The Baker's Companion presents 14 grilling recipes? Wha?

where do you get that? I'm looking at the book and (of course I could be blind at this time of night) but I'm not seeing grilling recipes. Unless they are for grilled breads, which would of course be entirely acceptable.

Not that there's anything wrong with Cooks Illustrated's method's either. While I often disagree with them, I've found a lot of their issues and the one cookbook of theirs that I have very helpful.

I'll reserve my own judgement till I see a copy of this new magazine.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Well, isn't that interesting?

Really, the website seems to me like a mechanism for moving the merch, not for disseminating profundities about baking.

I smell a plan modeled on the Cooks Illustrated "empire."

I don't know.

King Arthur doesn't sell a lot of grilling supplies do they?

SB :wink:

Ah, I have it now. The lead on the magazine, rather than the book. Still the magazine seems to be talking about grilled breads, like pizza, which is something several members have suggested they have trouble with. Again. I'll reserve judgement. Yeah, they probably want to sell merchandise, but I don't hold that against them.

Marlene

That grilling lead suggests confusion. The website's triple play in re baking pans suggests the real motive here.

A company wanting its customers to buy its products isn't so much ulterior motive as obvious mission?

SB :cool: