• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CLE: Advent of Whole Foods

So today you've already checked out the WHole Foods at Cedar Road and Warrensville Center Road.

I'm in town [in response to family matters] from New York.

How does this version of Whole Foods compare with what's been in town?

Whole Foods vis a vis, say, Mustard Seed [which I think is terrific].

How about Whole Foods side by side with Trader Joe's?

Fresh Market?

Wild Oats?

Miles Farmer's Market?

Or...Heinen's?

Price|quality; absolute quality; breadth of selection; convenience.

And not so incidentally: Any tips on where else to prowl for provisions?

Regards...

Edited by Gaius (log)

Jamie M. Forbes

"Everything I know about life I learned in the kitchen."

I am really anxious to find out. It's only a couple of minutes from my home but I'm trying to hold off until after Passover since we're trying to clear out the cupboards.

Hopefully, someone will fill us in before then.

So today you've already checked out the WHole Foods at Cedar Road and Warrensville Center Road.

I'm in town [in response to family matters] from New York.

How does this version of Whole Foods compare with what's been in town?

Whole Foods vis a vis, say, Mustard Seed [which I think is terrific].

How about Whole Foods side by side with Trader Joe's?

Fresh Market?

Wild Oats?

Miles Farmer's Market?

Or...Heinen's?

Price|quality; absolute quality; breadth of selection; convenience.

And not so incidentally: Any tips on where else to prowl for provisions?

Regards...

I too am waiting to hear about the new Whole Foods as I will be back in Cleveland this summer. Since it is located just minutes from where I grew up (and my parents still live) I have a feeling it will be my go to store.

Wild Oats I only went to once was very disappointed, very similar to Trader Joe's but nearly twice the price.

I love Mustard Seed but since it is down in Solon I usually only make it out there once during my month long trip.

Trader Joe's I get to at least once a week and Miles Farmer's Market I head to every other week. I prefer Miles for fruits and vegetables while I use Trader Joe's and Mustard Seed more for staple products.

Heinens is where I run to when I need to do my everyday shopping or run out to get something that my parent's don't have.

I also shop at Costco and Giant Eagle (I really like the Legacy Village location) for meats and other bulk/sale items. When I am back in the states for summer, I am cooking for a minimum of 13 people every night so I need to consider costs as well. :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 3 weeks later...

I was just there on Saturday with my mom. I thought that it looked pretty good, it looks like the other whole foods I have been in, maybe a little smaller. It was pretty crowded and from what my mom told me it's been busy since it opened. My parents' house is a couple of blocks from cedar center so she's up there often enough to notice. It looked like quite a few people were hanging out in the cafe area at the front of the store and there was a big calendar with events going on at the store so it looks like whole foods is trying pretty hard to integrate into the neighborhood. Parking was kind of an issue, at least close to the store.

The produce and bakery looked good, the butcher counter looked alright. We had already spent the whole morning at the west side market so we only picked up some bread. I can't comment on the quality of their stuff except for raisin bread which was good as french toast.

It seems like a good store, certainly better than the tops that used to be across the street. Better than TJ's for produce, but more expensive. Probably not better than WSM or miles, but I might be biased. I've never been to mustard seed.

seems like a nice place

go check it out

peace

Dan

Edited by danf (log)

Well, I went a week ago. It is a study in what marketing can do. You enter to stunning displays of fresh flowers, followed by displays of fruits and vegetables worthy of a european market. I am, however, jaded by the West Side Market. For example, Strawberries were $6 a box, $8 for organic. You can get the same non-organic strawberries at the wsm for $1. I checked prices the very next day, and I was mildly amused that some of Whole Foods DISPLAY berries were already seriously "fuzzy". Lots of organics and exotics, but at a big price. The meats looked outstanding, including the dry-aged beef lockers. It's a beautiful store, as designer supermarkets go, but I love the wsm, warts and all. Thank god it was never "californicated" with a foodcourt or a starbux. -Perhaps the meet-up may be interested in a private market tour, including the basement etc... It is really cool - with lots of interesting facts. For example, as the basement -really a huge meat locker/cooler- is lined with a foot or so of all natural cork, that has lasted for all of this time. As a built in fire suppresion system, the market tower contained a huge stainless steel water tank that could literally flood the place in minutes if there was a fire. The tank was dismantled and melted for the WW2 war effort. Also, the architecture, showing meats and vegetables carved into the stone, each one unique... I could go on....