• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher deli platters delivered in Arlington

Fat Guy

A friend needs to send some kosher-style deli platters to an event in Arlington, VA, as soon as possible. Anybody got a line on a place that can handle this sort of thing same-day? I did some Googling and came up with

http://www.celebritydeli-catering.com/

but I have no clue.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was very happy with the kosher deli platter I got from my (luckily) local family-owned grocery store. I don't know if delivery is an option though, but they are just off the beltway in Silver Spring if picking it up is a possibility. I placed my order one afternoon and picked it up the next morning. Everyone said the quality was fabulous.

http://www.sniderfoods.com/

Good luck,

Steve

My very casual, drop-in-when-you-feel-like-it wedding rehearsal dinner was catered by Katz's Kosher Supermarket in Rockville, MD. They can turn orders around quickly and did a nice dairy-and-fish dinner for us. My large Jewish family loved the food...what's not to love? Shalom Kosher in Wheaton, MD has catered events I've attended and they're fine too. Both are lower-end in price and pretty casual, but if it's a deli platter you need and it must be Glatt they are the safest bets (Shalom is superglatt; some ultraOrthodox will not eat Katz's stuff). They can both work quickly and both deliver to DC, so they very well may deliver in Arlington as well. Google should find you both their websites easily.

Oh, and as far as I know, Snider's has no hechsher. They might have something I don't know about, but if you care about Kosher and not just Kosher-style, they probably won't work. If it doesn't have to be Kosher, check them out, and also price Parkway Delicatessen on Grubb Road in Silver Spring.

edit disclosure: info on Snider's and Parkway Deli added