• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Midtown Italian

Tallen234

Pretty much self explanatory. I am staying at the W New York in a few weeks and was looking for a good Italian restaurant in Midtown. This is my first trip to NYC, so I really don't want to brave a trip to one of the other Burroughs. Piano Due looks interesting...

Thanks

I apologize. I've never been to New York, so I didn't realize that midtown encompassed that much territory. I am staying at the W Hotel at 541 Lexington Avenue which, I think is at Lexington and E. 50th St.

"Midtown" is a pretty big area to cover, more or less covering everything between 34th and 59th Streets.  Can you be more specific?  What price range are you looking for?

Please widen your geographical scope or change your nationality - that's a nice way of saying there's nothing worth while of Italian descent in your selected neighborhood (anywhere within shouting range of 50th and Lex).

In fact, a trip to the Boroughs would be your best bet.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I'd have to differ, notwithstanding the edge you have on me ethnically, rich.

Specifically, I cite Felidia, on 58th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, which IMO is "within shouting distance" of 50th and Lex. Technically not "midtown," I know, but not far off. That would be my suggestion for best in area.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I'd have to differ, notwithstanding the edge you have on me ethnically, rich.

Specifically, I cite Felidia, on 58th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenues, which IMO is "within shouting distance" of 50th and Lex. Technically not "midtown," I know, but not far off. That would be my suggestion for best in area.

Mayur, I think Felidia is good. (I think it used to be better) But I can't shout that far anymore. :laugh:

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

See, if we still had an "Underappreciated Restaurants Thread," I'd nominate Felidia. Even with its recent laudatory Times review, I never think of it. Even though, as Mayur says, it's clearly the best recommendation for Tallen (assuming the price and formality levels are appropriate).

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

See, if we still had an "Underappreciated Restaurants Thread," I'd nominate Felidia.  Even with its recent laudatory Times review, I never think of it.  Even though, as Mayur says, it's clearly the best recommendation for this Tallen.

It probably is the best choice in the area, though there are plenty of downtown and out of borough choices (Al di La, Sapori, Park Side to name three) that would be better.

And where is that thread? I enjoyed it. Somebody got it shut down on us. :cool:

Rich Schulhoff

Felidia looks good and, appears to be getting some new buzz. I think I will try to get reservations there (unless my traveling companions gang up on me and force me to eat steak (Wolfgang's, BLT Steak). Thanks for the help.

Anything else in this neck of the woods that I should be aware of gastronomically-speaking?

Felidia is closer to 50th and Lex, though.

Also, IMHO, if you had to pick the "better" of the two restaurants (and I don't think the comparison is particularly useful, to be honest), I'd go with Felidia myself. Esca delivers substantially better price performance, but the cuisine at Felidia is, IMHO, somewhat more refined and diverse, especially if you want something other than seafood.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Lunch at Katsuhana.  47th St. between Fifth and Madison (north side of the street).  To call it superb fried pork is to understate how good it is.

katsuhaMa - and only the rosukatsu approaches superb... they're great though, I really should get there more often...