• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle Recommendations for Someone...

From April 3 through 10, I will be visiting two cities I've long wanted to visit for the first time: San Francisco and Seattle.

The reason for the trip is: I had an unused airline ticket that a friend had purchased for me for a trip that never materialized, and as of last October 6, I'm an uncle -- I want to see my new niece, Stella Rose Smith, which means a trip to Seattle to see my brother, Sean.

This gives me lots of time to explore both cities. Unfortunately, what I won't have is lots of money -- my partner is currently idled thanks to a strike at the Community College of Philadelphia, so I have to watch my pennies for the duration. I do think, though, that I should have enough to afford at least one decent meal.

I'd love to hear your recommendations for good, inexpensive/cheap eats in the Seattle area. One other caveat: Your recommendations should be accessible by public transportation if possible; even though I will be staying with Sean, I'm not renting a car and will want to be able to get around by myself--which may be a little more difficult than I think, as Sean lives in Woodinville, on that side of Lake Washington. (Besides, look at my posting handle and .sig.) Guess I need to do some research on the Seattle Metro Web site before heading out that way.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

You will find so many great cheap eats in the Pike Place Market and the International District. Both of these are well served by bus-the Market is right downtown and the ID is on the southern edge. See if you can get a ride to a park and ride in Woodinville-taking a bus into the city shouldn't be too bad if you do it that way (especially if you go during the morning when there should be express buses running).

In the Market, my favorite cheap places are Mee Sum Pastry (bbq pork humbow), Piroshky Piroshky, El Puerco Lloron (Mexican, on the hillclimb below the Market), Bottega Gelateria, Daily Dozen Doughnuts, Market Grill (grilled salmon sandwiches), and Mr. D's Greek Deli.

In the ID, don't miss Green Leaf (there's a whole thread on it below). So good for so little money. There are other ideas in this ID thread. It is almost impossible NOT to eat cheaply in the ID, unless you order crab (which is still a good deal there).

And of course there is the famed Salumi, in Pioneer Square (southern part of downtown). If you want baked goods, breakfast or sandwiches, check out Grand Central Bakery, also in Pioneer Square. If it's nice you can take your food from either of these places and eat it in Waterfall Garden Park or Occidental Square.

Happy hours are another fabulous way to eat cheap. I like Maximilien Bistro in the Market for it's fabulous view, great ambiance and half price happy hour menu.

If you are looking for a coffee break I love Caffe Umbria on Occidental Square. Zeitgeist on Jackson is good, too.

Edited by kiliki (log)

There are also a couple of great places near where you'll be staying also. The Barking Frog is one of my favorites but might be on the expensive side. I wouldn't use it for your one decent meal. Another favorite is Ooba's Mexican Grill.

I know I sound like a broken record but, for your one decent meal, I would recommend Union. I believe there is no better value in the city.

If you're looking for dining companions, PM me and I'm sure we can set you up :smile:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Also actually in Woodinville are Purple Wine Cafe and the Golden Goat. The former is American fusion and the latter is Italian.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Some of my favourite cheap eats: Ezell's fried chicken, Pho Bac (on 7th in the ID), Baguette Box for their coconut-milk/fried tofu sandwich (with daikon slaw), pastries and quiche at Café Besalu, the cotto and porchetta at Salumi, and Porcella for some cured meats. I like the flank steak at Brasa for Happy Hour, and Union has an awesome Happy Hour as well so you can experience that restaurant for cheap ($8 a plate). The ID definitely has some cheap eats, but I've been to some of the more popular places mentioned in the thread and haven't enjoyed the food so much...I do like Green Leaf, though.

Edited by Ling (log)

Hey Sandy! You should PM me to let me know when you're coming to town. Would be fun to meet up for a meal. I work on that side of Lake Washington, so we can probably work something out.

In general, while you're here you should be eating the great East Asian food that Philly just doesn't have on the same scale. I also think you'd really like La Carta de Oaxaca, which is not near where you're staying but near where I live and we're always looking for excuses to go. :)

Some of my favourite cheap eats: Ezell's fried chicken, Pho Bac (on 7th in the ID),

And luckily, Ezell's has opened an outpost in Woodinville, in a strip mall near a McDonalds and, ironically, a KFC :laugh: .

I second and third the Union recommendation for the pricier meal and the early or late happy hours allow you to sample a good portion of the dinner menu at reduced prices.

In the ID, banh mi is a great deal (usually only about 2.00 - 3.00 for a loaded, tasty sandwich). There are many Vietnamese delis selling banh mi and other goodies in the 12th and Jackson area, but my favorite is Saigon Deli (there are several) located on the NE corner of 12th and Jackson in a strip mall. Just up the street (North) is Malay Satay Hut which is commented on in the ID thread that Kiliki referred you to.

Also, I seem to remember you being a cheese lover, so you may want to check out The Cheese Cellar.

It's across the street from Seattle Center and the Space Needle, so you could drop in while sight seeing if you're planning to do that anyway, although they're not open on Sundays. The owners are lovely people and the selection is fabulous.

Do let us know if you're looking for dining companions or need advice while you're in town. Hope you enjoy Seattle!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Unfortunately you are going to miss one of Seattle's quintessential food experiences, and that is Matt's in the Market. He's expanding and doesn't expect to open till mid April. (and these things never happen on time...)

I would definitely recommend northwest seafood, whether you have it traditionally prepared, or in some ethnic cuisine. The recommendation for Union is a good one for your 'haute' meal.

Do hang out & explore the Pike Place Market, it's our version of Reading Terminal Market. :smile:

Oh, and we always welcome a chance to dine with a visitor :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

Also, I seem to remember you being a cheese lover, so you may want to check out The Cheese Cellar.

It's across the street from Seattle Center and the Space Needle, so you could drop in while sight seeing if you're planning to do that anyway, although they're not open on Sundays.  The owners are lovely people and the selection is fabulous.

The Cheese Cellar does a free wine and cheese tasting on Thursdays. They usually have a theme and compliment the wine & cheese. I've been several times and enjoy them very much. :)

Edited by scarlett (log)

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

A big Thank You to all of you for posting so many wonderful recommendations. You've been a lot more helpful (in both absolute numbers and proportion of the metro population) than the SFO/OAK denizens to whom I posed the identical request, which means that either San Franciscans are aloof or eating there is also crazy expensive.

I do want to add one more request to my previous one.

In addition to cheese, I also adore sushi and don't eat it as often as I'd like to. Philadelphia doesn't lack for sushi joints, but -- as occasional comments on the Pennsylvania board indicate when the subject comes up -- it has almost no excellent ones. One of the few in this category, Fuji Mountain in Cinnaminson, NJ, closed when the no-tell motel it was housed in was acquired for redevelopment; I recently had the pleasure of dining at a place that is almost in this league, Raw (check the Pennsylvania board for my comments on this nouveau sushi establishment).

I've been told by sources I trust that Seattle has scads of excellent sushi places. I'd appreciate tips on the best of these, in any of the following three categories: money is no object; great value for your dining dollar (at any price range); cheap and fabulous.

Sandy how cool that you will be visiting us!! Once you get downtown on the bus the main core is a ride free zone which can be handy if you want to travel around between the south end (ID/Pioneer Square) and the northend (Beltown) with Pike Place being about middle.

Happy Hours are such a great way to eat around on the cheap. We love Union's, Cascadia (mini prime burgers and salmon burgers!), Brasa (hit or miss service but good food), BOKA and Vessel (mini croque monsieur!)

I do hope we'll get a chance to meet you while your here!

I don't think there have been any real changes to this:

Sushi thread

Shiki sure looks promising, the price is right, and it's not that far from Seattle Center ('62 World's Fair site). I could probably get a monorail ride in to boot.

Sandy how cool that you will be visiting us!! Once you get downtown on the bus the main core is a ride free zone which can be handy if you want to travel around between the south end (ID/Pioneer Square) and the northend (Beltown) with Pike Place being about middle.

Happy Hours are such a great way to eat around on the cheap. We love Union's, Cascadia (mini prime burgers and salmon burgers!), Brasa (hit or miss service but good food), BOKA and Vessel (mini croque monsieur!)

I do hope we'll get a chance to meet you while your here!

Belltown is where relative to: Westlake? Seattle Center?

As a committed Reading Terminal Market shopper, obviously I have to stop by Pike Place Market. As I've been through one of those "FISH!" workplace motivational seminars, however, I don't feel a real need to see those fishmongers.

The RTM and Pike Place Market grapple with some of the same issues; in fact, RTM GM Paul Steinke circulated a recent Seattle Post-Intelligencer story about the need for a major makeover at Pike Place prompting soul-searching to his RTM mailing list (yeah, I'm on it).

I'm sure something can be arranged in the way of a get-together. Probably Thursday or Friday evening, or during the day if enough people can get free. I'll want to coordinate things with Sean first before getting in touch with folks.

Belltown is the stretch of flat ground (thanks to the Denny Regrade) between the Seattle Center (and the new Seattle Art Museum Sculpture Park) and Downtown.

It is full of badly designed condos (and a handful of good ones), restaurants, bakeries, taverns, and bars, quirky boutiques, many coffee places, social services (and the people who utilize them), buses, a dog park, architects, galleries, Paul Allen's movie theater, public relations firms, lawyers, and construction sites.

Hard to think of anything you can't find there - even The Art Institute, Antioch, and Cornish College are on it's perimeter, so there are schools, though no elementary-high school that I can think of.

Edited by tsquare (log)